The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

4 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

There are suggestions the Bens were started by immigrants from the town of same name in Tyrone. True Blue not correct if this is the case.

Plenty of people of a red, white, and blue persuasion in County Tyrone so don't think that necessarily follows or follow follows as the case may be if the name referred simply to the townland the founders of the club were from rather than the 1640s battle that happened there, which is one that's better forgotten from a True Blue standpoint. 

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Plenty of people of a red, white, and blue persuasion in County Tyrone so don't think that necessarily follows or follow follows as the case may be if the name referred simply to the townland the founders of the club were from rather than the 1640s battle that happened there, which is one that's better forgotten from a True Blue standpoint. 

Decisive battle of the Irish Wars 1646. Covenanters if I remember returned back to British Mainland. Anniversary was yesterday strangely enough.

Benburb, the town was always mainly of a left footed persuasion if I believe my family. And was told by Govanite relatives that Ben's committees when they came to Sunny G at tge commencement of the 20th Century were of a certain Romany Faith.

Of course I could be wrong. My family were all Ants to the core. But was told it was always a misconception Ben's were Loyal.

13 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Hadnt read yours before replying. Govanhill I  believe. Don't know when they planted in Drumonye think they had a few flits before securing that piece of land for Asda. 

The name Benburb in relation to the Govan club is intertwined with St Anthony's of the same parish.

Something similar to Liverpool/Everton in that both clubs were started by the same people or in the Govan case by the same family.

Nothing unusual in the Benburb name for clubs coming out of the various Little Irelands in the Central Scotland and yes it was about the only battle the Green side won. The Battle of Benburb would have been a major historical totem in Irish Home Rule circles. So Benburb could be added to the Harp, Hibs, Emmett, Shamrock and Emerald monikers.

And yes there was a Benburb Fc playing out at Oatlands on the edge of the Gorbals.

Doubt that team had any link to the Govan Benburb. A whole host of teams played in Oatlands like Glasgow Hibs, Greyfriars Juniors, Oxford etc

I'd like to thank Alastair the Edinburgh Jambo for the work he did on the indepth history of St Anthony's Juniors which threw up the Benburb connection.

Alastair himself had an amazing football supporting journey spanning the last 50 years. I haven't seen him since pre Covid. I'd like to think the man is still around watching non league somewhere.

1 hour ago, PossilYM said:

The name Benburb in relation to the Govan club is intertwined with St Anthony's of the same parish.

Something similar to Liverpool/Everton in that both clubs were started by the same people or in the Govan case by the same family.

Nothing unusual in the Benburb name for clubs coming out of the various Little Irelands in the Central Scotland and yes it was about the only battle the Green side won. The Battle of Benburb would have been a major historical totem in Irish Home Rule circles. So Benburb could be added to the Harp, Hibs, Emmett, Shamrock and Emerald monikers.

And yes there was a Benburb Fc playing out at Oatlands on the edge of the Gorbals.

Doubt that team had any link to the Govan Benburb. A whole host of teams played in Oatlands like Glasgow Hibs, Greyfriars Juniors, Oxford etc

I'd like to thank Alastair the Edinburgh Jambo for the work he did on the indepth history of St Anthony's Juniors which threw up the Benburb connection.

Alastair himself had an amazing football supporting journey spanning the last 50 years. I haven't seen him since pre Covid. I'd like to think the man is still around watching non league somewhere.

As far as my knowledge goes which is solely from family. The Ben's went into a kind of abeyance in the 1890's and resurfaced around the birth of the new century about the same time that the Ants were conceived. Must be honest being young when hearing these stories the finer details didnt stick. 

Wasn't aware about the family link only that the 2 clubs assisted one another in the beginning and enjoyed a friendly rivalry. In fact thinking about it they might have shared a park in the beginning. I recall talk of a pitch at Fairfield St. end of Elder Park before WW1. My mum only recalled the 2 teams being up at Helen St./Edmonton Dr. roundabout. 

My dad was the main source of knowledge about Govan's History. He loved the dogs at White City and the Albion across from Ibrox.

Again no idea of my ancestors involvement other than that my mother's family first came over from East Antrim in late 1800's and the Ants were a big part of their life. 

I'm the last of our extended and large family. Like a lot of our generation so much history will be lost when it's our turn to move on.

Wish I wasn't born so late and being youngish when older family members passed on. In your early 20's you don't think to note down what's being said to you.

2 hours ago, PossilYM said:

As far as I know Angry Al (as we knew him at Meadowbank) is still around 

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

As far as I know Angry Al (as we knew him at Meadowbank) is still around 

This guy i met was the complete opposite of angry. If anything Alastair the ex Jambo was as placid as they come. Although Angry Al might have made a good if somewhat bizarre nickname.

Certainly never heard him mention Meadowbank Thistle. 

Although going by the people i've met over the years from all across the Central Belt he is probably is the same guy.

2 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

This guy i met was the complete opposite of angry. If anything Alastair the ex Jambo was as placid as they come. Although Angry Al might have made a good if somewhat bizarre nickname.

Certainly never heard him mention Meadowbank Thistle. 

Although going by the people i've met over the years from all across the Central Belt he is probably is the same guy.

It's probably the same lad- The Alastair we know was involved in researching the Ants history and was placid. The "Angry" nickname wasn't to do with his personality but came from his punk rock days.

I think someone saw him at a Tranent match fairly recently 

22 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

As far as my knowledge goes which is solely from family. The Ben's went into a kind of abeyance in the 1890's and resurfaced around the birth of the new century about the same time that the Ants were conceived. Must be honest being young when hearing these stories the finer details didnt stick. 

Wasn't aware about the family link only that the 2 clubs assisted one another in the beginning and enjoyed a friendly rivalry. In fact thinking about it they might have shared a park in the beginning. I recall talk of a pitch at Fairfield St. end of Elder Park before WW1. My mum only recalled the 2 teams being up at Helen St./Edmonton Dr. roundabout. 

My dad was the main source of knowledge about Govan's History. He loved the dogs at White City and the Albion across from Ibrox.

Again no idea of my ancestors involvement other than that my mother's family first came over from East Antrim in late 1800's and the Ants were a big part of their life. 

I'm the last of our extended and large family. Like a lot of our generation so much history will be lost when it's our turn to move on.

Wish I wasn't born so late and being youngish when older family members passed on. In your early 20's you don't think to note down what's being said to you.

From the Scottish Football Archive - Club Directory.

http://sfha.org.uk/

image.thumb.png.da09bfd9e90bf1b8964bf37b164c661c.png

9 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Can't wait to see Albion Rovers in a cup tie in a Junior ground.

I saw Albion Rovers play at Muirhouse against Civil Service Strollers in the Scottish Cup about 25 years ago. 

Strollers just had a basic roped off pitch back then.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

From the Scottish Football Archive - Club Directory.

http://sfha.org.uk/

image.thumb.png.da09bfd9e90bf1b8964bf37b164c661c.png

Never thought to run a check online. Always amazes me how much historical data is stored online nowadays.

No recollection of any family mentioning Govandale, PSA Athletic or Gymnasium Park. Only an older cousin or something on my mum's side talking about a park in centre of Govan. I have maybe recalled hearing Fairfield and park and put the park at Fairfield Street at east end of Elder Park. Always presumed all areas between shipyard and the stones/old parish had houses they all looked over 100 years old even back in the 60's.

The change to blue ties in with the birth off the Ants who always played in green and white AFAIK.

The date Bens moved to Tinto aligns with my mum who would have been a young girl in mid 20's so would be unaware of the groundshare at Moore Park, thanks for that as  couldn't remember the name of the park at Helen St. 

There must have been Ben's fans in Govan. Was always led to believe Govan was completely Ants. I was lied to it would seem. 🤔

7 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Never thought to run a check online. Always amazes me how much historical data is stored online nowadays.

No recollection of any family mentioning Govandale, PSA Athletic or Gymnasium Park. Only an older cousin or something on my mum's side talking about a park in centre of Govan. I have maybe recalled hearing Fairfield and park and put the park at Fairfield Street at east end of Elder Park. Always presumed all areas between shipyard and the stones/old parish had houses they all looked over 100 years old even back in the 60's.

The change to blue ties in with the birth off the Ants who always played in green and white AFAIK.

The date Bens moved to Tinto aligns with my mum who would have been a young girl in mid 20's so would be unaware of the groundshare at Moore Park, thanks for that as  couldn't remember the name of the park at Helen St. 

There must have been Ben's fans in Govan. Was always led to believe Govan was completely Ants. I was lied to it would seem. 🤔

The history of the Ants gave a list of around 20 teams playing out of Govan and District from the 1870s onwards.

17 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

The history of the Ants gave a list of around 20 teams playing out of Govan and District from the 1870s onwards.

I'll have a look at it cause sometimes the names get resurrected for ammies and boys clubs. Might recognise some of the names.

You'll have me greetin, always get sentimental when I  think about home, my family and how close they all were. It gets lost with each generation. 

5 hours ago, razamanaz said:

Camelon have signed Kieran Dolan - any good - was oor super Joe Bevan keeping him out of the team?

ps Looked in the League 2 for you lot - sorry - sure Sandy Clark was turn it round

razamanaz, is Camelon railway station far from Camelon's park?

11 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

razamanaz, is Camelon railway station far from Camelon's park?

Railway Station is behind Mariner Centre. Carmuirs is a few streets behind Sheriff Court. About 10 min walk if reasonably fit.

Remember where I lived before moving to Stewartry. 

54 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Railway Station is behind Mariner Centre. Carmuirs is a few streets behind Sheriff Court. About 10 min walk if reasonably fit.

Remember where I lived before moving to Stewartry. 

Bus to Kirky and walk along the canal?