2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup

senorsoupe

Didn't see a thread for this but the CONCACAF Gold Cup is currently being played in the United States.  There are 12 teams, most of the usual suspects plus some smaller Caribbean teams like Martinique, Curacao, and French Guiana.  

Canada are off to a decent start, a 4-2 win over French Guiana followed by a very credible 1-1 draw with Costa Rica last night.  16 year old Alphonso Davies has been the standout for us so far with 3 goals in the 2 games so far.  Oh and Scott Arfield got his first goal for Canada against French Guiana. 

In terms of a connection to the Scottish game, here are the Scottish based players

Canada: Fraser Aird, Scott Arfield

Costa Rica: Christian Gamboa-Celtic

That is all

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I watched the the US's draw with Panama.

They have almost no European based players which has dropped the quality significantly.

Looking at the USA squad list my best description would be "Experimental".  I'm surprised that a lot of the guys playing in Germany or some of the bigger name guys in MLS like Michael Bradley or Jozy Altidore aren't involved.  

39 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Didn't see a thread for this but the CONCACAF Gold Cup is currently being played in the United States.  There are 12 teams, most of the usual suspects plus some smaller Caribbean teams like Martinique, Curacao, and French Guiana.  

Canada are off to a decent start, a 4-2 win over French Guiana followed by a very credible 1-1 draw with Costa Rica last night.  16 year old Alphonso Davies has been the standout for us so far with 3 goals in the 2 games so far.  Oh and Scott Arfield got his first goal for Canada against French Guiana. 

In terms of a connection to the Scottish game, here are the Scottish based players

Canada: Fraser Aird, Scott Arfield

Costa Rica: Christian Gamboa-Celtic

That is all

I see they're in trouble for fielding Florent Malouda - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40578754

3 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

I see they're in trouble for fielding Florent Malouda - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40578754

It's not like the fact that the Gold Cup is using FIFA eligibility rules is some sort of surprise so maybe they figured they would do poorly regardless and decided to risk a penalty to play Malouda.  I selfishly hope it's just a fine, a 0-0 between them and Honduras suits Canada quite nicely!

Honduras were awarded a 3-0 win over French Guiana because they fielded Florent Malouda, who is ineligible making tonight's game vital to our chances of progressing.  Through 15 minutes it's pretty evenly matched although we really could use some more quality in the final third.  

Half time report, a 5-3-2 formation seems to be doing the trick for Canada as it's 0-0, would be worse if Honduras had a dynamic full back like Izaguirre available.  Junior Hoilett looks lost as a striker, he's a good winger but struggling as a striker. Marcel De Jong has been our best player thus far.

Halftime 1-0 Jamaica.  Canada have been really sloppy in the first half, plus the finishing could be better.  We are giving the ball away too cheaply in the middle of the park allowing a quick  Jamaica team to break.  Scott Arfield has been OK, but could be better

Full Time, Jamaica 2-1 Canada.  They were probably the better team for much of the game although Canada attacked admirably in the second half.  Junior Hoilett was brilliant in the second period, if only he wasn't so anonymous in the first half.  Arfield played quite well also, some good crosses and had a good chance in the second half to equalize.  Jamaica's goalie is also quite good

5 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Mexico v Honduras is on. It's the dullest game of football that's ever played.

I'll see your hispanic homage to tedium and raise you kettering town 0-0 doncaster rovers, in the conference about fifteen years ago; the highlight was the PA bloke playing "firestarter" as part of his pre-match repertoire, provoking a near riot in the away end - then f**k all happened for two hours, which calmed things down considerably....

I was genuinely quite disappointed for the first time that Canada lost, I've enjoyed watching my 'home' team playing in a tournament for a change. Just have to root for El Tri now, ohhhhhhhh puuuuuuuuuuuto!!!

Archived