Squad for Lithuania and Malta

Gordopolis

4 minutes ago, IggyStooge said:

To be fair, the Levein era was just a disaster in it's entirety.

Let's wildly celebrate a 97th minute winner against Liechtenstein. Yay.

That was actually the high point; watching Levein groping around for his specs Velma Dinkley-style.

I was curious so looked at the results over his reign to see if that was indeed the highlight.  It was.  You could maybe say the Spain game where we pushed them close at Hampden was one, but given we got beat anyway that would be generous.

So yeah.  A 97th minute winner against Liechtenstein was the highlight of Craig Levein's reign.  Jesus wept.

3 March 2010 Hampden Park, Glasgow (H) 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic 1–0 Friendly Scott Brown 26,530 [3]
11 August 2010 Rasunda Stadion, Solna (A) 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden 0–3 Friendly   25,249 [3]
3 September 2010 Darius and Girėnas Stadium, Kaunas (A) 23px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png Lithuania 0–0 Euro 2012 qualifying   6,539 [3]
7 September 2010 Hampden Park, Glasgow (H) 23px-Flag_of_Liechtenstein.svg.png Liechtenstein 2–1 Euro 2012 qualifying Kenny Miller, Stephen McManus 37,050 [3]
8 October 2010 Synot Tip Arena, Prague (A) 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic 0–1 Euro 2012 qualifying   16,800 [3]
12 October 2010 Hampden Park, Glasgow (H) 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Spain 2–3 Euro 2012 qualifying Steven Naismith, Own goal 51,322 [3]
16 November 2010 Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen (H) 21px-Flag_of_the_Faroe_Islands.svg.png Faroe Islands 3–0 Friendly Danny Wilson, Kris Commons, Jamie Mackie 10,873 [3]
9 February 2011 Aviva Stadium, Dublin (N) 23px-Flag_of_Northern_Ireland.svg.png Northern Ireland 3–0 Nations Cup Kenny Miller, James McArthur, Kris Commons 18,742 [4]
27 March 2011 Emirates Stadium, London (N) 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Brazil 0–2 Friendly   53,087 [4]
25 May 2011 Aviva Stadium, Dublin (N) 23px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png Wales 3–1 Nations Cup James Morrison, Kenny Miller, Christophe Berra 3,951 [4]
29 May 2011 Aviva Stadium, Dublin (A) 23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Republic of Ireland 0–1 Nations Cup   17,694 [4]
10 August 2011 Hampden Park, Glasgow (H) 20px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png Denmark 2–1 Friendly Own goal, Robert Snodgrass 17,582 [4]
3 September 2011 Hampden Park, Glasgow (H) 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic 2–2 Euro 2012 qualifying Kenny Miller, Darren Fletcher 51,457 [4]
6 September 2011 Hampden Park, Glasgow (H) 23px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png Lithuania 1–0 Euro 2012 qualifying Steven Naismith 34,071 [4]
8 October 2011 Rheinpark Stadion, Vaduz (A) 23px-Flag_of_Liechtenstein.svg.png Liechtenstein 1–0 Euro 2012 qualifying Craig Mackail-Smith 5,636 [4]
11 October 2011 Estadio José Rico Pérez, Alicante (A) 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Spain 1–3 Euro 2012 qualifying David Goodwillie 24,896 [4]
11 November 2011 Antonis Papadopoulos Stadium, Larnaca (A) 23px-Flag_of_Cyprus.svg.png Cyprus 2–1 Friendly Kenny Miller, Jamie Mackie 1,360 [4]
29 February 2012 Bonifika Stadium, Koper (A) 23px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.png Slovenia 1–1 Friendly Christophe Berra 3,983 [5]
26 May 2012 EverBank Field, Jacksonville (A) 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 1–5 Friendly Own goal 44,438 [5]
15 August 2012 Easter Road, Edinburgh (H) 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Australia 3–1 Friendly Jordan Rhodes, Own goal, Ross McCormack 11,110 [5]
8 September 2012 Hampden Park, Glasgow (H) 23px-Flag_of_Serbia.svg.png Serbia 0–0 World Cup qualification   47,369 [5]
11 September 2012 Hampden Park, Glasgow (H) 23px-Flag_of_Macedonia.svg.png Macedonia 1–1 World Cup qualification Kenny Miller 32,430 [5]
12 October 2012 Cardiff City Stadium, Cardiff (A) 23px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png Wales 1–2 World Cup qualification James Morrison 23,249 [5]
16 October 2012 Stade Roi Baudouin, Brussels (A) 23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Belgium 0–2 World Cup qualification   44,132 [5]

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Who are our good quality attacking players ? would say Armstrong , but not sure he will start, after that I am struggling.

I expect the team to be full of unfit players not getting club games

Griffiths, Armstrong, Phillips, Fraser, Forrest all capable especially away from home.

The last time we got 6 points from a double header was 10 years ago when we beat Lithuania (3-1) and France (1-0). I have the fear that we'll slip up tonight to keep that record intact. And it crossed my mind earlier that we need to win all four to finish 2nd (and even then it's not guaranteed), the last time we did that was the Euro2008 campaign too. Faroes (2-0), Lithuania (3-1), France (1-0) and Ukraine (3-1) before Georgia brought it to an end. I thought we'd blown it after the draw at Hampden last year and nothing has changed my mind yet!

Out of interest, how many points did people think we would have at this point?

Before the campaign I had us on 9 points after 6 games. Losing away to Slovakia and both games against England and winning the other 3. So basically we are 1 point worse off than I thought we would be.

These 4 games were always going to be make or break imo. Last 2 performances have been decent so I'm quietly optimistic that we will win the next 3 and it'll go down to the final night in Slovenia to decide our fate.

ETA: 2-0 win tonight, Griffiths and Armstrong.

3 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

Next four I predict we scrape a win tonight, comfortable win on Mon, draw with Slovakia then if we somehow still have a chance of scraping second we'll bottle it away to Slovenia.

Think a draw against Slovakia pretty much ends it, although that might only be if they beat Slovenia tonight.

Has Strachan forgotten that there are 3 teams above Scotland, 2 of which are playing and beating Malta in the last 4 games, which keeps Scotland at arms length? Scotland need 12 points out of 12.

So we win all games. No problem :-)

Nae fucking bother.

Let's get into these wannabee Russian, hearts-supporting arseholes.

There's literally nothing else I know about Lithuania. What have they got? Coal mines? We've got fucking coal mines. We're basically playing a selection of the Ayrshire and fife junior leagues.

Into them.

17 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Has Strachan forgotten that there are 3 teams above Scotland, 2 of which are playing and beating Malta in the last 4 games, which keeps Scotland at arms length? Scotland need 12 points out of 12.

Not the whole story though.  We're the only team that's played England twice, both Slovenia and Slovakia have to play them.  We all have to play Malta.  

But yeah, we do need 12 points.  Not sure there's any situation where even 10 would be enough barring something ridiculous like Malta winning games, and even then it'd probably put us as the 9th best 2nd place.

5 minutes ago, forameus said:

Not the whole story though.  We're the only team that's played England twice, both Slovenia and Slovakia have to play them.  We all have to play Malta.  

But yeah, we do need 12 points.  Not sure there's any situation where even 10 would be enough barring something ridiculous like Malta winning games, and even then it'd probably put us as the 9th best 2nd place.

Scotland still have to better both the Slo's results for the rest of the campaign to not only catch them, but overtake them.  The fact that Slovakia still have to play Malta at home, and Slovenia playing Lithuania at home, makes it needing a mental chain of results for us to qualify, should we not win tonight like you say.

Not winning tonight means Scotland will probably have to claw back a 4 and a 5 point deficit with only 9 points available.

10 points would be enough if Slovenia and Slovakia draw tonight and England win all their remaining games. If we win next 3 then with those results we could be second going into last game away to Slovenia where a draw would do.

Not expecting this to happen mind you :lol:

I reckon we will win tonight and Monday. And fail to win either of our last two games. Strachan saying that this isn't must win is a total shambles. Get the teams backs up by saying its a do or die game, get the nation behind the team again by bigging up every game as a must win. We want to see a bit of grit and fight not a half arsed attempt as the gaffer says id doesna really matter!!!

I wish people would stop greeting about this must win stuff. Jesus fucking Christ.

McGhee has already said everyone already knows that they need to take all points available, said it just the other day.

I'm sure we will be playing for a draw tonight....

Archived