The Gretna 2008 Thread

gretnascotty

7 minutes ago, lowenan said:

Well, if a Lowland League western Scotland team gets relegated, it’s to the top division in the WOSFL. Even if an EOSFL team won the qualification. But maybe they wouldn’t be allowed in by application at the bottom tier, if they had first chosen the South of Scotland League.

I've had it confirmed by West that Gretna like Star will go South.

Broomhill, CumbieColts, EK, Braves, would drop to West Premier.

Unless of course Broomhill move again and again and .... you know what I mean.

10 hours ago, Benidorm said:

I know, but I just don't think the thought of more weekly doings will appeal. The bottom rung sides in the West Prem are stronger than the dregs of the Lowland League too. Bonnyton gave an insight into what the likely outcome would be. 

I think the likes of Threave, Gretna and Dalbeattie could find their level somewhere in division 2/3 of the West and I don't think theres any shame in that as opposed to staying camped in the South with a glass ceiling.

Having watched Threave a good deal last season in Div 4.  They beat a number of teams easily and footballing wise were better than most. However when they came up against talented sides who were also competitive that's when they struggled.

Will be interesting viewing in Div 3. Which us shaping up to be an extremely competitive league.

5 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Albion Rovers to the west as well. So currently one to the South, five to the West, and nine to the East. 

Broomhill chose West, even when they played in the east. 

5 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Having watched Threave a good deal last season in Div 4.  They beat a number of teams easily and footballing wise were better than most. However when they came up against talented sides who were also competitive that's when they struggled.

Will be interesting viewing in Div 3. Which us shaping up to be an extremely competitive league.

Hope they will get promoted again this season.

53 minutes ago, lowenan said:

Albion Rovers to the west as well. So currently one to the South, five to the West, and nine to the East. 

Broomhill chose West, even when they played in the east. 

I believe teams don’t get the choice, they are designated by the leagues.

But surely the leagues will first and foremost listen to what the clubs want when it comes to west/south, or a club temporarily playing in another area (like a west club temporarily playing in the east)?

Is it possible Gretna wanted to go west, but the leagues decided on south?

5 minutes ago, leomessi1984 said:

Gretna taking another hammering tonight. Early doors but I think they may be cut adrift this season.

We will keep a place warm for them down here in the deep deep South.

Felt really sorry for the Gretna lads tonight (a sentence I never thought I'd type). They never had a hope in hell. They actually started quite well and probably would have had a penalty had the lad been a bit clever/dived. Once EK scored it was all one way traffic. Gretna can't possibly compete financially with EK/most sides (ironic, right?) and as much as EK/Hearts will be buzzing, that was a poor spectacle for the Lowland League tonight IMO. 

Fair play to the Gretna lads who kept plugging away. Certainly couldn't criticise their effort. 

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Felt really sorry for the Gretna lads tonight (a sentence I never thought I'd type). They never had a hope in hell. They actually started quite well and probably would have had a penalty had the lad been a bit clever/dived. Once EK scored it was all one way traffic. Gretna can't possibly compete financially with EK/most sides (ironic, right?) and as much as EK/Hearts will be buzzing, that was a poor spectacle for the Lowland League tonight IMO. 

Fair play to the Gretna lads who kept plugging away. Certainly couldn't criticise their effort. 

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

On 26/07/2023 at 12:24, HorseyGhirl said:

I'm a bit confused.  If Gretna are relegated, they do not get to choose which association the will be relegated too, is this not true or are the rules different?.  Is it not their location, (where they reside that determines where they end up), so they will automatically be relegated to the SOSFL

22 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think Gretna are that bad compared to last year its just that the standard of the Lowland League teams are now much higher so even if Gretna were the same as last year, most teams from last year in the lowland are way stronger, better players, more money etc... and hard for the bottom teams like Gretna and Edinburgh Uni to compete

21 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I'm a bit confused.  If Gretna are relegated, they do not get to choose which association the will be relegated too, is this not true or are the rules different?.  Is it not their location, (where they reside that determines where they end up), so they will automatically be relegated to the SOSFL

The word down here is if they are relegated it's SOSFL. I always believed that at start of each season each club indicated which league they would be relegated into. It seems to have changed since the appearance of the WOSFL. 

No choice now and simply geographical. 

Gretna have joined the SOSFA and are entered into the Southern Cointies Cup for possibly first time.

It would suggest there are now demarcation lines for the 3 league's feeding the lowland.

The Lowland league rules currently on their website state :-

In order to maintain a maximum of sixteen clubs (or such other number as may be set by the Board pursuant to by Rule B1), the bottom club or clubs at the end of the current season will be relegated to the league(s) decided by a joint meeting of the representatives of the League, the EoSFL, SoSFL and WoSFL prior to the start of each season. In the event that one or more of the SLFL, EoSFL, SoSFL and WoSFL do not agree which league a club(s) shall be relegated into then the Scottish FA Board shall determine which of the EoSFL, SoSFL and WoSFL the club(s) in question shall be relegated into.

The WOS constitution has this rule, which I thought was interesting:

B 15. A Club relegated from the SLFL that is a) based within agreed geographical boundary of the League, and b) was previously a member of the League or a member of the SLFL at the time of the formation of the League will automatically become a full member of the League and shall play in the Premier Division. Any clubs relegated from the SLFL that was previously a member of any other comparable league shall not be eligible for membership of the League.

On 26/07/2023 at 01:31, Benidorm said:

I know, but I just don't think the thought of more weekly doings will appeal. The bottom rung sides in the West Prem are stronger than the dregs of the Lowland League too. Bonnyton gave an insight into what the likely outcome would be. 

I think the likes of Threave, Gretna and Dalbeattie could find their level somewhere in division 2/3 of the West and I don't think theres any shame in that as opposed to staying camped in the South with a glass ceiling.

Although this might be my bias talking, I think historically Dalbeattie have more than proven that they can compete as a high level club like when they finished east prem runner up. To be fair I do strongly doubt Dalbeattie will have a team near the level of their 2009 squad for the foreseeable future as I doubt Dalbeattie will be able to attract the calibre of players we used to have like Lewis Sloan while playing in the south league. 
Onwards and Upwards I suppose.