The Worst Posters in P&B History (2017 Edition)

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His location and avatar are the hint on that. Having lived in Japan as well the Saturday at school thing definitely happens and depending on your job working on a Saturday can often be the cultural norm you are expected to conform to even though you don't officially get paid for it (been there done that and drank the sake). Think the cram school angle is more of a middle class sort of thing and there is a huge portion of Japan's populations that are definitely not high achievers academically and don't fit the stereotypes that people often have on that.

I thought school in Japan was an all day event. They went in the morning then went home for a wee while before going out again late afternoon. We did a school project but it was P4 so could be remembering wrong. Is the split shift I'm referring to "cram school"?

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I thought school in Japan was an all day event. They went in the morning then went home for a wee while before going out again late afternoon. We did a school project but it was P4 so could be remembering wrong. Is the split shift I'm referring to "cram school"?

Not sure about that. They start slightly earlier in the morning and finish later than our schools. LTL is right about teachers (not FLT's) being expected to work unpaid weekends etc. Would argue that the cram school is more than a middle class thing as the pressue the Japanese parents put on their kids is unbelievable.  

Don't think it's that drastic on the school day thing. Late afternoon seemed to be when kids were going home in the part of Japan I was in (Tohoku region of Honshu rather than Shikoku island) much the same way as in Scotland. School maybe starts a wee bit earlier though as 8:30 tends to be the start of the workday in Japan rather than 9:00. Cram school would be extra lessons paid for by parents in evenings and on Sundays.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Don't think it's that drastic on the school day thing. Late afternoon seemed to be when kids were going home in the part of Japan I was in (Tohoku region of Honshu rather than Shikoku island) much the same way as in Scotland. School maybe starts a wee bit earlier though as 8:30 tends to be the start of the workday in Japan rather than 9:00. Cram school would be extra lessons paid for by parents in evenings and on Sundays.

You're right about the hours not differing that much but the cram schools are open at night through the week too. I regularly see high school kids cycling home at 9-10pm.....not sure if that's just a Shikoku thing tbh.

1 hour ago, Believe The Hype said:

How do you know ?

Live & work as a FLT in Japan, wife is Japanese and have a 1yo daughter that may, although probably won't go through the Japanese education system.

Would argue that the cram school is more than a middle class thing as the pressue the Japanese parents put on their kids is unbelievable.  

If that pressure leads to them continuing to produce and improve the best TVs (Sony) and Playstations then it's a sacrifice well made [emoji14]

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

If that pressure leads to them continuing to produce and improve the best TVs (Sony) and Playstations then it's a sacrifice well made emoji14.png

It definitely was what drove the post-WWII economic recovery but it has its downsides though. A lot of suicides (including somebody I knew and was drinking with at a work function the night before he killed himself) and a lot of kids that wind up refusing to ever leave their room in their parent's house well into adulthood.  The younger generation is quite different in their mentality from the post-WWII baby boom generation and is a lot less brash and materialistic so things are changing slowly and Japan is losing out a bit economically to the likes of South Korea and China, which are still more like Japan used to be. Japan has its ned and senga equivalent subcultures, so there's a portion of the population that doesn't try too hard academically and winds up in low paid low status jobs much the same way as in Scotland or any other country for that matter, but their living standards are really not that great compared to most Western countries, which is part of what drives the whole pressure to succeed thing.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It definitely was what drove the post-WWII economic recovery but it has its downsides though. A lot of suicides (including somebody I knew and was drinking with at a work function the night before he killed himself) and a lot of kids that wind up refusing to ever leave their room in their parent's house well into adulthood.  The younger generation is quite different in their mentality from the post-WWII baby boom generation and is a lot less brash and materialistic so things are changing slowly and Japan is losing out a bit economically to the likes of South Korea and China, which are still more like Japan used to be. Japan has its ned and senga equivalent subcultures, so there's a portion of the population that doesn't try too hard academically and winds up in low paid low status jobs much the same way as in Scotland or any other country for that matter, but their living standards are really not that great compared to most Western countries, which is part of what drives the whole pressure to succeed thing.

The Korean & Vietnam wars definitely kick started & boosted their economy due to logistics and Gen. McArthurs influence. 

Archived