Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

Guest Moomintroll

Will be my first and probably last post on this particular sub forum. We as a nation were given an independence referendum and chose to stay within the UK. The people of Catalunya are not being afforded this basic courtesy and are, after many years of oppression, demanding that they be given the same opportunity that we had. Unsurprisingly the Castilian dominated Central Spanish Government have reacted aggressively towards this attempt at self determination from the pro independence parties. Irrespective of what happens next in this sorry saga ( and as you can probably tell I am for Catalunya as an independent nation), the fact that they are unwilling to give the people of that Region the right to determine their sovereignty within the overall framework of the EU is disgraceful. No matter what the eventual outcome is, the level of brutality displayed by the police and government of Spain today is morally reprehensible and should be condemned by every member nation.

2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Will be my first and probably last post on this particular sub forum. We as a nation were given an independence referendum and chose to stay within the UK. The people of Catalunya are not being afforded this basic courtesy and are, after many years of oppression, demanding that they be given the same opportunity that we had. Unsurprisingly the Castilian dominated Central Spanish Government have reacted aggressively towards this attempt at self determination from the pro independence parties. Irrespective of what happens next in this sorry saga ( and as you can probably tell I am for Catalunya as an independent nation), the fact that they are unwilling to give the people of that Region the right to determine their sovereignty within the overall framework of the EU is disgraceful. No matter what the eventual outcome is, the level of brutality displayed by the police and government of Spain today is morally reprehensible and should be condemned by every member nation.

This is the beginning the end will not be good for anyone mi amigo

Guest Moomintroll
This is the beginning the end will not be good for anyone mi amigo

Agree wholeheartedly but it is going to be so painful to watch the disintegration over the coming months.

23 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Hopefully Scotland will be first to formally recognise the Republic of Catalonia.

Scotland isn't in a position to formally recognise any country, unfortunately.

Whilst I was glad to see Sturgeon condemning the scenes earlier, I'm hoping we don't see too many SNP types thrashing themselves silly about this. Talk about living vicariously ffs, what they've gone through to get to this point is a total beamer for us.

5 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Scotland isn't in a position to formally recognise any country, unfortunately.

Hmmmm..... I was being ironic chief........but what a gesture of support it would be for the non shitebag folk of a fellow pretendy (although soon not to be) country.

The world is gonna have to eventually recognise catalunya. It would be to our credit of we are first, even if it is unofficial.

I wonder if Westminster would take the same course of action?

I suspect May would. She would probably see it as her miners strike/Falkland War and use it to show the people that she's the new Maggie Thatcher. Probably most flavours or Tory would be only to happy to take this course of action.

Not sure what would happen if it was Labour in power but I wouldn't put it past them.

Despite being a regular visitor to Barcelona I have never paid much attention to the police though there is always a significant presence.

That said I'm fairly sure the civil guard are a continual presence in the city.  If so I assume the actions yesterday, and in particular the indiscriminate violence, will make their position and their ongoing cooperation with the local police extremely difficult.