Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

I know, fancy listening to your local radio station, while driving,  reporting on a political show about politics in another country and interviewing a local news journalist. Madness, eh?

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Fair enough... was just connecting unionist v nationalist and BBC Radio Ulster.

Doing your usual stunt of playing the (Ulster) man and not the ball...

Who really cares about the size of rallies on an issue like this? Rallies can be an important show for politicians that you have highly motivated people on your side, but I'd imagine an election on breaking up the country is going to bring all but the most apathetic to the ballot box. The only number that matters is the vote. I'm going to step out on a limb, but it's probably a pretty good guess that the people seeking independence are more motivated to attend a rally. They are also probably more "bigoted" in the dictionary definition sense of the word and are more willing to impose social costs on their opponents. That doesn't mean their opinion matters any more than anybody else's opinion. Everybody gets one secret vote. It seems to me the mask is slipping off a few people here who are a bit less than committed democrats. 

Edited by TheProgressiveLiberal

3 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Who really cares about the size of rallies on an issue like this? Rallies can be an important show for politicians that you have highly motivated people on your side, but I'd imagine an election on breaking up the country is going to bring all but the most apathetic to the ballot box. The only number that matters is the vote. I'm going to step out on a limb, but it's probably a pretty good guess that the people seeking independence are more motivated to attend a rally. They are also probably more "bigoted" in the dictionary definition sense of the word and are more willing to impose social costs on their opponents. That doesn't mean their opinion matters any more than anybody else's opinion. Everybody gets one secret vote. It seems to me the mask is slipping off a few people here who are a bit less than committed democrats. 

I couldn't care less what size the pro and anti independence rallies are, I was quoting a figure given by a local news journalist about the size of the anti-independence rally in Barcelona this morning, after previous posters were ridiculing estimates of the size given by the BBC.

I don't really get the bit about "the mask slipping", that's usually a phrase favoured by Celtic supporters when they're losing an argument. Who are you referring to, here, when you uae that phrase?

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I couldn't care less what size the pro and anti independence rallies are, I was quoting a figure given by a local news journalist about the size of the anti-independence rally in Barcelona this morning, after previous posters were ridiculing estimates of the size given by the BBC.

I don't really get the bit about "the mask slipping", that's usually a phrase favoured by Celtic supporters when they're losing an argument. Who are you referring to, here, when you uae that phrase?

The people here who don't seem to care that a legitimate vote was never taken, and all evidence seems to be that if a vote were taken that Spain would win.

I know very little about Celtic or their fan culture. Think it's a fairly common term when people's true beliefs are revealed. In this case the commitment to democracy of certain people here.

Edited by TheProgressiveLiberal

4 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

The people here who don't seem to care that a legitimate vote was never taken, and all evidence seems to be that if a vote were taken that Spain would win.

I know very little about Celtic or their fan culture. Think it's a fairly common term when people's true beliefs are revealed. In this case their commitment to democracy.

It seems to me, as a disinterested outsider, that Spain are going out of their way to ensure that if/when a vote is taken Spain will lose.

2 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

The tin-foil hat stuff about the BBC's reporting on this is a bizarre.

RTE are reporting that the local (Catalan) police have estimated 300,000 people are on the march, but presumably they're in on the conspiracy as well...

It's a well known fact that this anti-Catalan conspiracy is widespread...

22 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It seems to me, as a disinterested outsider, that Spain are going out of their way to ensure that if/when a vote is taken Spain will lose.

That would be my perception as well. I'm not defending the Spanish government. More just pointing out that there is a large % of people in Catalonia, perhaps the silent majority, who's views are not being taken into account.

40 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

The tin-foil hat stuff about the BBC's reporting on this is a bizarre.

RTE are reporting that the local (Catalan) police have estimated 300,000 people are on the march, but presumably they're in on the conspiracy as well...

I don't think anyone's suggesting a conspiracy, so much as a bias in favour of Spanish nationalism and against separatism.

13 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I don't know. 

A local election for a regional government is going to have a different electorate than a referendum on breaking up the country I'd assume. 

I can't say what the parties stand for in Spain, but I'd imagine at the margins there are "Unionists" who voted for "separatist parties." As you say, the separatists earned 46% of the vote. A few % at the margins takes that from within shooting distance of independence to a long shot.

I understand what you are saying, but the "separatist" parties aren't exactly like our SNP and Greens. No unionist would go near voting for them.

Turnout was 74.9%