Graveyards and Gravestones

Scary Bear

On the subject of dead people, I came across this cemetery in Edinburgh the other day. It's off Sciennes Road. As the man is called Moses Ezekiel and the writing is in Hebrew it's a Jewish cemetery. It's not the sort of place you'd expect to find a graveyard.

14ac1b14db349b233535af33db74e08b.jpg2b418b15298ffdb162d43725d8a506fa.jpg

Post any interesting gravestones you've seen.

I confirm none of the graves interested me sexually.

Ok, you've got me, this is a late submission for Worst Poster.

I believe the first synagogue in Edinburgh was in Nicholson Street in 1816 so this location seems to make sense. Also poor Moses wasn't exactly a man when he died.

I thought he was 74. Does that say 14?

He's here by the way:

https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/directory_record/18730/jewish_cemetery

Apparently there was a grave in Canonsgate Kirkyard named Ebeneezer Scroggie. Buried when Dickens was lecturing in Edinburgh. 

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/entertainment/how-an-edinburgh-gravestone-inspired-ebenezer-scrooge-1-4311709

I don't know how tenuous it is, but it gives me a link to post a .gif of the best Christmas film of all time.

Image result for scrooged gif

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

On the subject of dead people, I came across this cemetery in Edinburgh the other day. It's off Sciennes Road. As the man is called Moses Ezekiel and the writing is in Hebrew it's a Jewish cemetery. It's not the sort of place you'd expect to find a graveyard.

14ac1b14db349b233535af33db74e08b.jpg2b418b15298ffdb162d43725d8a506fa.jpg

Post any interesting gravestones you've seen.

I confirm none of the graves interested me sexually.

Ok, you've got me, this is a late submission for Worst Poster.

Anyone who 'came across' a burial place is a bit of a strange one.

1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

One of the founders of the original Rangers, Moses McNeil, is buried in the graveyard of the village I was brought up in. Rangers do bus tours to the village and the fat mutants all trapise up to see the gravestone.

Only 5 replies in and Rangers are mentioned.  The brain-dead diddies of P&B never fail to deliver.

Anyway, what's become known as the 'Nazi dog' grave in SW1 is unusual:

I was recently in Krakow and visited the Jewish cemetery - there is a tradition of putting a pebble on the grave you are visiting, some of the graves had piles of pebbles. There are also graves of noted rabbis, where visitors had put prayer notes on the grave, it was very peaceful.

The Nazis dismantled a lot of the graveyards and a wall has been built in the graveyard from the Jewish headstones removed by the Nazis and used elsewhere in the city. The Jewish population of Krakow, previously a centre for Jews in Poland, was almost entirely wiped out in the Holocaust but there are efforts to rekindle and some of the synagogues and cemeteries have been restored. It's still fascinating to see the glimpses of a community and way of life that has now gone forever.

Anyone from Motherwell might be aware of the Globe Cemetery. It's in the middle on nowhere and freaky as f**k. I discovered it by accident one day years ago when I was talking the wean out a walk. There's loads of kids graves and stuff. I was pretty glad to get away from it. Interested to hear if anyone has been to it.

2 hours ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Apparently there was a grave in Canonsgate Kirkyard named Ebeneezer Scroggie. Buried when Dickens was lecturing in Edinburgh. 

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/entertainment/how-an-edinburgh-gravestone-inspired-ebenezer-scrooge-1-4311709

I don't know how tenuous it is, but it gives me a link to post a .gif of the best Christmas film of all time.

Image result for scrooged gif

Would you PLEASE stop the Goddamn hammering?!

"Scotland's first Jewish community consisted of twenty families living in Edinburgh in 1816 who founded a "Kehillah" or community of Jews.. Early Jewish immigrants came from Russian Poland, Germany and the Baltic Ports. If records did exist concerning the origins and development of the Edinburgh community, and certain Jewish historians believe they did, they may well have been buried in a grave as was Jewish custom in the little Jewish cemetery in what was Braid Place, now Sciennes House Place, before it was closed in 1867... Even Jews from Glasgow were brought for burial in the little Sciennes cemetery.."

The first Rabbi was thought to have been Moses Joel who came from London in 1816 and was in office until 1862. The first synagogue was at Richmond Street. 

c.f. "Historic South Edinburgh  Volume 3: People" byCharles J Smith (1986) which I just happen to be reading just now! 

The Christie MIller mausoleum in the East of Edinburgh is suitably impressive. It's now surrounded by a housing estate. Mr Christie Miller's remains are buried 20 feet below. 

59cc32400265e_christiemillar.jpg.1a9bec8753b4715639d3513cd54b46b0.jpg

Archived