Line up face Slovenia and Predication

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see much change, if any.  Slovenia have been good at home, do they get on with the Slovak's? or is there a old firm type hatred between them? Not i think they will do us a favour, not that i think we will need one. We will take this one 2-0 Griff to have the game of his life with a brace...

14 minutes ago, TrebleTwenty said:

Can't see much change, if any.  Slovenia have been good at home, do they get on with the Slovak's? or is there a old firm type hatred between them? Not i think they will do us a favour, not that i think we will need one. We will take this one 2-0 Griff to have the game of his life with a brace...

They have similar names but aren't actually rivals. Slovakia used to be with the Czech Republic (Czechoslovakia) and Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia.

34 minutes ago, Donathan said:

They have similar names but aren't actually rivals. Slovakia used to be with the Czech Republic (Czechoslovakia) and Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia.

Anyone who did not already know this, does not deserve to have his bone headed query answered.

My prediction is that if we sneak a win people on here will be calling Strachan a tactical genius.  If we lose  or draw the same folk will be baying for his blood.

I think we'll win by an odd goal assuming no stupid red cards and there's the proper use of subbies as needed.

If we're s goal ahead with 15 minutes to go and make defensive changes it will be a disaster.

McGregor in for Morrison would be my only change. I like Morrison more than most, but McGregor would provide us with more energy from middle to front, which is something I felt we were badly lacking for periods of Thursday's game sans Armstrong. I think Strachan will likely stick with the same starting XI, though. 

Katanec is off after this game. Slovenians are in a bit of a malaise right now about their football team. Will seem more like a home game for Scotland tomorrow. 2-0 to Scotland. Griff and big Berra to do the damage.

As for line up, same again. If all fit.

It's Birsa (81 caps, big player for them) and Krhin (don't really know him) that are suspended for this for them. I'd be tempted to keep a similar line up to last time, I wasn't as much of a fan of Bannan as others were, so if he or Morrison dropped out I wouldn't be too fussed. McGregor is a shout, his energy might be needed to up our intensity in this one, we were very slow in the build up on Thursday.

Nervous as f**k! 

It won't happen, and probably shouldn't happen, but for the first and probably only time, I'd be very tempted to go at them and start with a 4-4-2.  Martin's performance was good enough in the Slovakia game that I'd be interested to see what he could do with a little more time up top with Griffiths.

But, Strachan would be showing massive balls trying that, and I'm not sure it's the right way to go anyway.  I think he'll stay roughly with the same side as before, with only the three in midfield potentially changing.  If Fletcher feels he's got another game in him, start him, but I'd probably have McArthur in for Bannan and just pray that Morrison isn't as bad again.  We've got options on the bench for midfield if we change it early enough, but hopefully it won't be necessary

30 minutes ago, forameus said:

It won't happen, and probably shouldn't happen, but for the first and probably only time, I'd be very tempted to go at them and start with a 4-4-2.  Martin's performance was good enough in the Slovakia game that I'd be interested to see what he could do with a little more time up top with Griffiths.

But, Strachan would be showing massive balls trying that, and I'm not sure it's the right way to go anyway.  I think he'll stay roughly with the same side as before, with only the three in midfield potentially changing.  If Fletcher feels he's got another game in him, start him, but I'd probably have McArthur in for Bannan and just pray that Morrison isn't as bad again.  We've got options on the bench for midfield if we change it early enough, but hopefully it won't be necessary

There is zero chance of us lining up 442. On a great run with a fairly settled formation. The starting 11 might change a little but the formation won`t.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

There is zero chance of us lining up 442. On a great run with a fairly settled formation. The starting 11 might change a little but the formation won`t.

Yeah, you're right.  There's more chance of him starting Tierney up front than both Griffiths and Martin, or any kind of change in system.  In a way I hope we never do see them both on, as that'll mean we're winning comfortably.  I expect we'll see it at some point though.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Slovakia result, I'd predicted a draw, and I do think we'll win in Slovenia. It's not going to be pretty or in any way a convincing win, imo, but I think we'll do it.

The idea of bumping into Portugal or Italy in a playoff is the only dark cloud on an otherwise fairly sunny horizon.

Archived