c***s on the road

2 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

There is no longer any need for a green man. They should do away with all crossings as pedestrians have the right of way over motorists and cyclists now. They can step out into the road wherever they want and everyone has to stop for them. 

The number of deaths and prosecutions it would take for that to become custom and practice is probably not worth it tbh. 

25 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

There is no longer any need for a green man. They should do away with all crossings as pedestrians have the right of way over motorists and cyclists now. They can step out into the road wherever they want and everyone has to stop for them. 

I think this is in force already. Some boot just let her two kids (estimated ages 4-6) walk across the road in front of me without even looking. Fortunately I had clocked her as a tube from twenty yards back and thought that might happen, so avoided damaging the bumper, but Darwinism will happen sooner or later.

6 hours ago, Empty It said:

The chaos it would cause if all crossings become instantly red when a pedestrian press the button, heaven forbid someone has to wait 30 seconds...

Drivers would get exactly the same amount of notice they'd get if the pedestrian was made to wait 30 seconds first.

At busier crossings there should be a bit of give to keep traffic moving, but infrequently used crossings, no reason not to start the 'green man' phase when called for.

They're there for the convenience and safety of pedestrians after all.

7 hours ago, Empty It said:

The chaos it would cause if all crossings become instantly red when a pedestrian press the button, heaven forbid someone has to wait 30 seconds...

I said "almost" instantly, i.e. go to amber fairly quickly (and with puffin crossings they can check if someone is actually waiting). Heaven forbid that drivers should have to be reminded of their place in the transport hierarchy. After all, a 30 second delay @ 30mph means you are prioritising drivers who are 400m away above pedestrians waiting to cross.

3 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

You're thinking about when pedestrians are waiting to cross a side road.

41 minutes ago, morrison said:

Drivers would get exactly the same amount of notice they'd get if the pedestrian was made to wait 30 seconds first.

At busier crossings there should be a bit of give to keep traffic moving, but infrequently used crossings, no reason not to start the 'green man' phase when called for.

They're there for the convenience and safety of pedestrians after all.

Actually agree with what you're saying, my original post was in reference to busy crossings.

3 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

6 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

You're thinking about when pedestrians are waiting to cross a side road.

I suspect he was being sarcastic.

On the M9 this morning. In the overtaking lane doing 70, cars in the left hand lane all doing 60. Everybody is happy. 

A car then comes barreling up. Weaving between the lanes - undertaking, overtaking, etc. He undertook me doing about 85. 

You'll all be shocked to learn that it was a BMW.

18 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

On the M9 this morning. In the overtaking lane doing 70, cars in the left hand lane all doing 60. Everybody is happy. 

A car then comes barreling up. Weaving between the lanes - undertaking, overtaking, etc. He undertook me doing about 85. 

Only 85? Must be a new BMW driver.

59 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Probably a traffic cop on his way to work.

On 29/07/2023 at 13:09, Bold Rover said:

A quick flash of the indicator can be helpful to show your immediate intention to join the carriageway.

I can't believe I'm the only one thinking this is unreal. If someone is coming down a slip road they obviously are looking to join, are you a c**t that just sits in the left hand lane when people are comong down the slip road or something?

Edited by garybs

1 minute ago, garybs said:

I can't believe I'm the only one thinking this is unreal. If someone is coming down a slip road they obviously are looking to join, are you a c**t that just sits in the left hand lane when people are comong down the slip road or something?

We’ve been over this before. Sounds like you might be one of those c***s that treats the slip road as a merge? It’s not, it’s a Give Way. Speed up or slow down to find a gap to filter into. Don’t expect anyone to let you in. 

32 minutes ago, garybs said:

Deary me. Nice to meet you, too, Gary. And, no - your suggested characterisation does not describe me. When I’m on the carriageway, I moderate my speed to facilitate safe merging from the left. When entering the motorway, I will consider a brief right indicator flash to inform traffic already on the road that I intend to enter now (and not further along the slip.) May I refer you to Roadcraft, the guidance for Advanced Motorists?

21 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Poorly designed road, imo. Should have a yellow box on it for folk to roundly ignore. 

I just had the thought that we need intelligent yellow boxes that spike the tyres of people who ignore it.