c***s on the road

2 hours ago, O_Kahn said:

Wrong, but I suppose 75% of the traffic from the 2 lanes is going south towards Stirling.

That doesn’t match my experience, especially when it’s heavily clogged up mostly traffic is heading north.  That matches us with the both lanes allowing for straight on

It could be worse…we started out with planners assuming people would figure out the “new” roundabouts…nope…cue first series of signs:

IMG_0795.jpeg.ea526985febd1117b311bab774628663.jpeg

That didn’t stop people from turning left IMMEDIATELY and going the wrong way on the roundabout to turn left…cue round two:

IMG_0794.jpeg.6da5e14cec3642f4b9030d43d66c619d.jpeg

Nah, the dot wasn’t helping, and neither did the curved line version…cue round three, adding overhead signage directly over each lane:

IMG_0796.jpeg.1c124e9d221f5f80084cafe502892719.jpeg

Mild improvements in compliance, but still way to many who treat the entrance to a roundabout as a stop line before proceeding. And, yes, the lanes are clearly marked for each carriageway and the required exit point halfway around, and yet…

7 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

I might have been the c**t today but I think it was the other guy. Entering the roundabout at Stirling Services I checked to see the road was clear, let a Fiat 500 go past then pulled out. Cue blaring horns and a glimpse of something silver passing behind me. Looked left in time to see a silver estate screaming past with the driver glaring at me. 

Thing is, he must have been doing some speed around that roundabout to make up the distance between me checking and pulling out.  

Might have been the same guy I saw joining the roundabout at the Craigs far too fast, then started blaring his horn because he had to slow down for the sensible drivers who wouldn't have seen him coming when they joined the roundabout.

Frigging maniac.

50 minutes ago, TxRover said:

It could be worse…we started out with planners assuming people would figure out the “new” roundabouts…nope…cue first series of signs:

IMG_0795.jpeg.ea526985febd1117b311bab774628663.jpeg

That didn’t stop people from turning left IMMEDIATELY and going the wrong way on the roundabout to turn left…cue round two:

IMG_0794.jpeg.6da5e14cec3642f4b9030d43d66c619d.jpeg

Nah, the dot wasn’t helping, and neither did the curved line version…cue round three, adding overhead signage directly over each lane:

IMG_0796.jpeg.1c124e9d221f5f80084cafe502892719.jpeg

Mild improvements in compliance, but still way to many who treat the entrance to a roundabout as a stop line before proceeding. And, yes, the lanes are clearly marked for each carriageway and the required exit point halfway around, and yet…

Aren't some states still giving out licences for collecting a few cereal box vouchers and driving round a car park?  Understanding roundabouts is so fucking simple you surely shouldn't be able to get/keep one if you can't comply.

Edited by parsforlife

14 hours ago, Ross. said:

Was in France for a few days there. Had almost forgotten how bad the general standard of driving is. The attitude seems to be “I am driving on this road, this road is mines” which I guess is an incredibly French way to look at it. What it means for every c**t else is that they have to be absolutely on their game the whole fucking time.

I have driven in France a lot and you are not wrong. 

In order to survive you need to drive "assertively".

I am going next week in my own car, so assume the UK sticker and plates will attract even more kunty behaviour than normal.......

8 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Aren't some states still giving out licences for collecting a few cereal box vouchers and driving round a car park?  Understanding roundabouts is so fucking simple you surely shouldn't be able to get/keep one if you can't comply.

Alright I'll ask. What's with the dot?

15 hours ago, Ross. said:

Was in France for a few days there. Had almost forgotten how bad the general standard of driving is. The attitude seems to be “I am driving on this road, this road is mines” which I guess is an incredibly French way to look at it. What it means for every c**t else is that they have to be absolutely on their game the whole fucking time.

See also: roundabouts in Spain.

It's the closest you can feel to being a Formula 1 driver - commit to the move, or die

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It's the closest you can feel to being a Formula 1 driver - commit to the move, or die

Worst place I have driven is Corsica.

French, but with a massive Latin machismo culture on the road.

Lots of mountain roads with cliff edges and blind corners - ideal for overtaking if the number of roadside shrines is anything to go by.

Locals drive their stupid wee cars like the F1 drivers you mention above, right up your hoop, pull out with no indication and cut back in forcing you to brake hard. 

Wankers.

11 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Yup. Going by my hire car experience last year, on approach to a roundabout all lanes are for the exit in all directions. Mental the number of times I had to stop halfway round because someone in the outside lane flew past in front of me when I tried to exit.

I posted this on the wrong thread. 

Why do folks sit at traffic lights with their foot on the brake, the high level brake lights blind the folks at the back of you ya feckin arsehole. Use the feckin handbrake and be a bit more considerate, have you never sat behind a ringpiece like yourself and thought “that’s feckin annoying?
 HANDBRAKE! 

Driving in Spain & France a few years ago, my wife was watching the feed from my smartwatch on the phone. She said my pulse rate shot up at the big roundabouts, the worst being a ridiculous one in Valencia. I could have told her that without the watch - it's amazing how tightly your buttocks can grip onto the seat when you're shitting it. 

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Roundabouts (circles) here in the Philippines. Rule is clear i.e. same as in the UK so vehicles on them have priority but 75% of drivers have decided to ignore this which means every one is an accident waiting to happen.  

ETA - I just found this little gem which perhaps explains the above confusion as it starts off saying one thing and then suggesting the opposite! 

Who has priority in roundabout Philippines?
Rotonda courtesies
That means drivers about to enter the circular junction must yield to those who are currently on it. Of course, that doesn't mean drivers on the roundabout should not give way to those about to merge; they must still let other motorists enter, more so if they are far ahead.
Edited by hk blues

6 hours ago, Wacky said:

I posted this on the wrong thread. 

Why do folks sit at traffic lights with their foot on the brake, the high level brake lights blind the folks at the back of you ya feckin arsehole. Use the feckin handbrake and be a bit more considerate, have you never sat behind a ringpiece like yourself and thought “that’s feckin annoying?
 HANDBRAKE! 

A lot of modern automatics and probably manual cars as well have this electric handbrake with autohold, so when it stops it's essentially using the footbrake to hold the car and dazzle cars behind them unless you actually engage the handbrake. I've got one, I've never verified this though and could be talking complete shite. What you're talking about used to annoy the f**k out of me, but now I don't care as I'm probably getting my own back inadvertently.  

6 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Driving in Spain & France a few years ago, my wife was watching the feed from my smartwatch on the phone. She said my pulse rate shot up at the big roundabouts, the worst being a ridiculous one in Valencia. I could have told her that without the watch - it's amazing how tightly your buttocks can grip onto the seat when you're shitting it. 

Just drive as if you always have right of way even if you don't. That's the key. I quite like them as it's chaos rules and you just go for it and see what happens. It's like when a pundit says if you don't commit fully to the tackle you're more likely to get injured. Just pile on in there, take a leap of faith even if cars are flying past you/in front of you.

Edited by 2426255

8 minutes ago, thistledo said:

A lot of modern automatics and probably manual cars as well have this electric handbrake with autohold, so when it stops it's essentially using the footbrake to hold the car and dazzle cars behind them unless you actually engage the handbrake. I've got one, I've never verified this though and could be talking complete shite. What you're talking about used to annoy the f**k out of me, but now I don't care as I'm probably getting my own back inadvertently.  

Still gets on ma thrupenny bits. 

Italy was the worst in terms of driving for me. I'm sure on the roundabouts who had right of way was determined by which was the more 'main' road. So if you were deemed to be on a minor road you had to stop in the middle of the roundabout to give way. A shite state of affairs all round.