Scooter s

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do not buy anything Chinese. Total false economy. It will fall to bits before your very eyes. You'll just end up replacing it with something that works

I'm not sure of your budget and of course you want the best deal.

I'd recommend something Japanese. Particularly Honda. They just work and run and run and run. There's also a decent dealer network to back you up. Something lacking with Chinese peds.

With Chinese bikes it's a case of getting what you pay for, I've got one sitting in the garage which turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.  You also have a fair bit of servicing with them, tho it helps if you know a bit about them.

I'd look for a second hand Japanese bike/scooter if your finance is limited.

And get a 125 if you can, being limited to 30 is a kunt.

With Chinese bikes it's a case of getting what you pay for, I've got one sitting in the garage which turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.  You also have a fair bit of servicing with them, tho it helps if you know a bit about them.

Don't have A licence, has to be a 50 cc.
I'm looking at a Yamaha neos (ovetto ) tomorrow, 2011 €900 only 5000 miles. Is this a good deal?

7 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

Also told it's possible to derestrict mopeds, what are the chances of getting caught by plod/insurance?

You can ride a 125 if you’re 17 or over and have your CBT last I checked. 

Almost impossible for them to catch you without doing a full tear down of the bike. Again, if you’re 17 or over you can have your 50 derestricted without it being illegal. 

15 minutes ago, bennett said:

That's not the reason you're stuck at 30mph, Bennett....

Image result for fat man on scooter

Almost impossible for them to catch you without doing a full tear down of the bike. Again, if you’re 17 or over you can have your 50 derestricted without it being illegal. 

Not in Ireland mate. You must do 18 hrs IBT course, even for a moped

€ 700 for ibt + theory test + provisional fee. Can't afford that right now.

€1000 budget for 50cc only (can drive legally on car licence if before 2006)

Is derestrict easy enough? I'm no mechanic but would quite like to learn

3 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

Not in Ireland mate. You must do 18 hrs IBT course, even for a moped

€ 700 for ibt + theory test + provisional fee. Can't afford that right now.

€1000 budget for 50cc only (can drive legally on car licence if before 2006)

Ah didn’t realise you weren’t talking Scotland. 

As said above, would avoid anything Chinese. Japanese are probably the most reliable etc. Aprilia  are good fun especially if derestricted and can sit comfortably at 45mph but are prone to things going wrong/bad design (e.g. the kickstart hits a body panel when you try to start it)

10 minutes ago, Netan Sansara said:

You can ride a 125 if you’re 17 or over and have your CBT last I checked

The guys in Dublin so it might be different there.

As for derestricting, I think that can fcuk up your insurance.

21 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

Don't have A licence, has to be a 50 cc.
I'm looking at a Yamaha neos (ovetto ) tomorrow, 2011 €900 only 5000 miles. Is this a good deal?

It should be a reliable enough scooter but it depends on how it's been kept/ridden etc

Ah didn’t realise you weren’t talking Scotland. 
As said above, would avoid anything Chinese. Japanese are probably the most reliable etc. Aprilia  are good fun especially if derestricted and can sit comfortably at 45mph but are prone to things going wrong/bad design (e.g. the kickstart hits a body panel when you try to start it)
Thanks mate, looking at a Yamaha tomorrow, seems to have good rep

Bennett is right about the insurance. It’ll invalidate almost all policies as far as I know if you derestricted. 

As for how difficult, all depends on the bike. I had an Aprilia and that had a couple of physical restrictions (exhaust and somewhere else) and a software restriction. Some are as simple as a thumb screw stopping you opening the throttle full pelt. 

It should be a reliable enough scooter but it depends on how it's been kept/ridden etc

Bennett is right about the insurance. It’ll invalidate almost all policies as far as I know if you derestricted. 
As for how difficult, all depends on the bike. I had an Aprilia and that had a couple of physical restrictions (exhaust and somewhere else) and a software restriction. Some are as simple as a thumb screw stopping you opening the throttle full pelt. 
How would insurance catch you? Hypothetically speaking?

1 hour ago, DublinMagyar said:

Looking to buy a 50cc scooter for work commute. As a total newbie to 2 wheels anyone got some advice on what to buy? I've been warned off the Chinese mopeds but they are a bargain price, tempting

Have you thought about a book on a roller skate?

32 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

How would insurance catch you? Hypothetically speaking?

Couldn’t tell you, although I believe it does happen. Assume it’d be checked if you did a fair amount of damage to an expensive third party, and if the physical restrictions were take me off that’d be enough. You could always phone and ask insurer if it would be possible. 

Archived