A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

The last time Morton beat Saints in the top flight...THIRTY-NINE years ago.

Despite the pessimism of the journalist, Saints did indeed qualify for the UEFA Cup with a last day 5-2 defeat of Hearts.

This was after a 7-2 home defeat by Celtic (Martin Doak scored our two goals).

We won two away games all season - at Tynecastle in the second game of the season, and this one.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That is quite the most appalling attempt at a play on words to arrive at a laboured rhyme.

I love it!

The wee scunnered Motherwell fan is tremendous. 

The last time Scotland played a full international on April 4 was a 1-1 draw at Wembley in 1936. Tommy Walker of Hearts scoring the equaliser from the penalty spot in the 77th minute. This was the seventh and last on this date and all against England 

IMG_1988.jpeg

IMG_1987.jpeg

22 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Screenshot_20240403-142057_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.4f368b741b443f685d23dc354953ec23.jpg

I went to Eastfield once- Penicuik played Meadowbank in a testimonial match for one of their players. A certain Lee Bullen was playing for Penicuik and Meadowbank signed him. 

11 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952umuxjzs43e2ilbko2e

s-l1600.jpg

Was this not in some way linked to McReddie (Eddie?) Being transfered to Chelsea a season or two before?

I'm sure as part of the deal (signed from east stirling), Chelsea had agreed to play shire at firs Park (they honoured that part), but there was to be a return game in London, which Chelsea didn't honour. Sure East Stirling cheekily demanded Chelsea play them at Stamford Bridge a few years back!

Wonder if somehow this game was either part of that tour or even a similar agreement for another player. 

58 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952umuxjzs43e2ilbko2e

s-l1600.jpg

I know this is off topic but does anyone know why the home town of the match officials is publicised? I don’t mean just on this programme I mean in general.

56 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Was this not in some way linked to McReddie (Eddie?) Being transfered to Chelsea a season or two before?

I'm sure as part of the deal (signed from east stirling), Chelsea had agreed to play shire at firs Park (they honoured that part), but there was to be a return game in London, which Chelsea didn't honour. Sure East Stirling cheekily demanded Chelsea play them at Stamford Bridge a few years back!

Wonder if somehow this game was either part of that tour or even a similar agreement for another player. 

Eddie McCreadie did start at Drumchapel before joining Clydebank then 'Shire... but East Stirlingshire v Chelsea was Monday 28th October 1963.

Chelsea visited Birmingham City in the league 2 days before facing Drumchapel, then visited Workington in a League Cup tie 2 days after.

Edited by HibeeJibee

5 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I know this is off topic but does anyone know why the home town of the match officials is publicised? I don’t mean just on this programme I mean in general.

It was standard policy to do this from when football started to quite recently (10 years ago?). In those days officials came from all over Scotland - unlike now when all are from about 45 mins max from Hampden by SFA decree....... 

Officialdom stopped putting where officials came from after some "glaziers" were required after two teams' supporters couldn't take a bad result 😀

13 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I thought it was to avoid accusations of being a "homer". 

ie Bobby Davidson couldn't do an Airdrie game.

9 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Eddie McCreadie did start at Drumchapel before joining Clydebank then 'Shire... but East Stirlingshire v Chelsea was Monday 28th October 1963.

Chelsea visited Birmingham City in the league 2 days before facing Drumchapel, then visited Workington in a League Cup tie 2 days after.

I'm pretty sure Chelsea visited Kilbowie twice in fairly quick order in the mid 1960's to play friendlies against ES Clydebank.  The young me was at one of them, I'm sure it was a Friday night, which finished 2-2 in front of 6-7000.  I seem to remember Marvin Hinton scoring one of the Chelsea goals.

charitymatch.jpg.7f3e86b9c81d46c6d11c79bea6578fa1.jpg

The National Galleries of Scotland posted this image on Facebook. So I pinched it. 

It's a 1930s charity match between Edinburgh Women and Rutherglen. In the background is the stand at The Royal Gymnasium, home of St Bernards, as this was the venue for the game. 

When St Bernards folded, the newly formed Stirling Albion put in a bid for the stand but rationing restrictions meant that eventually it only ended up as far as Old Meadowbank where it was used by Leith Athletic and the speedway until redevelopment in 1968. 

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm pretty sure Chelsea visited Kilbowie twice in fairly quick order in the mid 1960's to play friendlies against ES Clydebank.  The young me was at one of them, I'm sure it was a Friday night, which finished 2-2 in front of 6-7000.  I seem to remember Marvin Hinton scoring one of the Chelsea goals.

Both within a few weeks of each other in 1967... you recall a preseason friendly, while less than 2 months later they returned for a special game the night the QE2 went down the slip at John Browns:

3656.jpg          3657.jpg

image.thumb.png.36c09b5d92cbbdadaf3cad0c684f2fb9.png
Clydebank 2-2 Chelsea (1967-68 Friendlies) - TheChels.info - The Chelsea Football Club Wiki
Clydebank FC 2 - 2 Chelsea  | Friday, August 4th, 1967 | Match Details (Bankies Archive)

image.thumb.png.704abc55a9749f62262bfa4272ae60e2.png
Clydebank 1-4 Chelsea (1967-68 Friendlies) - TheChels.info - The Chelsea Football Club Wiki
Clydebank FC 1 - 4 Chelsea  | Wednesday, September 20th, 1967 | Match Details (Bankies Archive)

_97864949_qe2johnbrowns.jpg

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

When St Bernards folded, the newly formed Stirling Albion put in a bid for the stand but rationing restrictions meant that eventually it only ended up as far as Old Meadowbank

Were they going to eat it?