A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I’m told by my token Rangers supporting friend that the headline in the paper the day after his goal for Accies knocked Rangers out the Scottish Cup read: SPROTTLED!

Fringe and 'tache both cut in exactly the same style.

2 hours ago, Eednud said:

Clyde must have had something against RAF personnel.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Their Chairman, Mr Göring, denied this at the time.

Note they also charged 3d more to sit than the others :lol:!

42 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Third Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers couldn't have had much input on D-Day.

"Normandy? No sir, we're playing Thistle at home. "

Interestingly clubs like Morton and Raith each lost a couple of service players for those 2nd legs, quite possibly as their units were redeploying south.

It was a bad week in the minor grades if the press reports are a measure... Alex Hamill collapsed and died during an inter-shipyard match at Ardrossan; Alec Rattray (ex-Airdrie) of Benburb having survived North African and Italian campaigns lost an eye on manoeuvres; and during the Schools Cup SF at Broomfield a Victoria player was struck on the knee by a stray horseshoe left on the pitch and had to be taken off for medical attention before facing Clarkston.

2 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Vasil-Ringov-Bo-Helen-Paul-Hegarty-at-Vardar-v-Dundee-United-1985.thumb.jpg.1c542dbd488175657890bb53c6141e45.jpg

Vasil Ringov of Vardar Skopje and Paul Hegarty exchange pennants before the second leg of the UEFA Cup second round tie in late 1985. This is the current National Stadium, back then only one modern stand had been built.

United had already won 2-0 at Tannadice. Hegarty scored on the quarter hour mark, cancelled out by local hero Darko Pančev, who was to win the European Cup with Red Star Belgrade in 1991. The game finished 1:1 and United progressed- a very good result against a difficult opponent. The Yugoslav First League was a strong competition in the 70s and 80s.

Dunfermline played Vardar in the early 1960s:

pars.jpg.ebc6780d3bcaa3b57de6a5386756e151.jpg

5 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

1969 Scottish Cup Semi . Aberdeen 1, Rangers 6.

Yes, I know, I was there.

legia_aberdeen_10_iwanicki_pzp_pap_19901107_01I.jpg

11th November 1990, Legia Warsaw 1 Aberdeen 0, CWC 2nd round. (1-0 on aggregate).

Legia would go on to knock out Sampdoria in the next round, before losing to eventual winners Manchester Utd in the semi-final.

This was an AFC team that was probably on the downslope after the cup double in 89-90, albeit they had the tremendous run at the end of the 90-91 campaign that almost took them to the title.

10 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Scottish Cup semi final 1976

Yip. Sons should have won the first game which ended 0-0. Lost the replay 3-0. If they had won they would have been in Europe the following season