A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

56 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

9-0, if I remember correctly

Indeed...

Brechin 2-9 Dundee and Dunfermline 7-0 Fraserburgh same day.

Grimsby 3-0 Hibs and Northampton 2-1 Dundee Utd in "yer already oot" friendlies.

1964012501.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

*COUGH*

Thank you. 

7 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

Well I can only plead that I hadn't seen any of this exchange before! It was thanks to my copy of The Scottish Football Book No. 8 that I recognised the ground and occasion. A picture from the cup tie crops up in an article on former Queen's Park and Hearts stalwart Davie Holt. Jim Cruickshank was of course another QP and Hearts player.

I missed Tam’s post as well, the old know all. 🤣

1 hour ago, PossilYM said:

Nice one and by the following year they made sure nobody else would do it for the next 15 years or so.

Interesting that both teams wore their change strip for the game - was that the usual practice when colours clashed in a final?

On 21/09/2024 at 23:05, HibeeJibee said:

60yrs today Kilmarnock made home debut in Europe... rebounding from 3-0 away loss to win 5-1 and beat Eintracht Frankfurt in the Fairs Cup before 14,930 among the great comebacks of all time:     22-09-1964 Eintracht Frankfurt (H) Fairs Cities Cup (killiefc.com)

64%20Eintracht%20H%20Fairs.jpg     64%202nd%20Eintract%20Goal.JPG     64%20Eintracht%20Goal%20Celeb.jpg

Kilmarnock%205%20Eintracht%20Frankfurt%2

64%20D%20Exp.jpg     64%20D%20Rec.jpg     64%20Eintracht%20Headlines.jpg

My father got the train down from Paisley after finishing work and arrived late, just after Eintracht Frankfurt had gone 4 nil up on aggregate. 

Thought the tie was definitely over but the rest is history. 

To this day he says it's the greatest game he ever saw. 

45 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

My father got the train down from Paisley after finishing work and arrived late, just after Eintracht Frankfurt had gone 4 nil up on aggregate. 

Thought the tie was definitely over but the rest is history. 

To this day he says it's the greatest game he ever saw. 

Couple of points I hadn't realised... it was Eintracht's first games in Europe since the European Cup Final at Hampden in 1960; they had reached the West German Cup Final the previous season and finished 3rd in the Bundesliga (which was the inaugural edition - easy to forget that German football was organised on a regional basis right up until the mid-1960s).

It was also an unique format Fairs Cup of 48 entrants - everybody went into 24 ties in R1... 12 ties in R2... 6 ties in R3... meaning 2 clubs got byes in QFs. There had actually been 77 entries but over 1/3 weren't accepted.

Edited by HibeeJibee

10 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

What?

Unless I'm mistaken Possil YM is referring to the following season's League Cup Final in which Celtic defeated Rangers 2-1.  As Billy McNeill tried to set off with the Cup on a lap of honour he was impeded by person(s) hostile to the idea and the polis promptly kyboshed it.

Fifteen years later at the conclusion of the 1980 Scottish Cup Final the only laps being done were by the mounted constabulary.  Who can forget Archie McPherson, never a stranger to hyperbole, solemnly intoning 'This Is Apocalypse Now !' ?

Does anyone know what the Scotsport match was on the 8th September 1984?

Sportscene covered Dundee Utd 3-4 Dundee but I've read that Morton Vs Aberdeen was on Scotsport but I've never seen any highlights of it previously.

I'm fairly certain it wasn't Dumbarton vs Celtic and I can't see anything on YouTube with the Oldco vs Hibs match.

IMG_20240924_231402.thumb.jpg.b6510b8547972f3f0d7b19e88868990d.jpg

20 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Unless I'm mistaken Possil YM is referring to the following season's League Cup Final in which Celtic defeated Rangers 2-1.  As Billy McNeill tried to set off with the Cup on a lap of honour he was impeded by person(s) hostile to the idea and the polis promptly kyboshed it.

Fifteen years later at the conclusion of the 1980 Scottish Cup Final the only laps being done were by the mounted constabulary.  Who can forget Archie McPherson, never a stranger to hyperbole, solemnly intoning 'This Is Apocalypse Now !' ?

That day in 1980 is the reason why I support Falkirk. I remember it clearly.

7 year old fitba daft me was kicking a ball around out the back. My Dad, who barely tolerated football at the best of times, saw the mayhem unfolding, came out to find me where he knelt down and said that he didn't care who I ended up supporting as long as it wasn't one of the gruesome twosome.

I immediately went, "Ok, I was born in Falkirk, I'll support them."

Just one of many, many things I will always be grateful to that man for.

On 24/09/2024 at 23:15, Bogbrush1903 said:

Does anyone know what the Scotsport match was on the 8th September 1984?

Sportscene covered Dundee Utd 3-4 Dundee but I've read that Morton Vs Aberdeen was on Scotsport but I've never seen any highlights of it previously.

I'm fairly certain it wasn't Dumbarton vs Celtic and I can't see anything on YouTube with the Oldco vs Hibs match.

Scotsport (on the 9th) featured Morton v Aberdeen, at least according to that day's Sunday Post.

Edited by Mr Heliums