A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

20 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Mirroring events in Turkish football we go back to August 1978: a tempestuous Edinburgh derby marred by fighting in the terraces, then Hearts fans twice entering the field and confronting referee Ian Foote, latter instance immediately before Ally McLeod scored 92min equaliser for Hibs against 9-men.

During the game over 50 arrests were made, and over 100 other spectators ejected from the ground, while rolling battles were fought among unsegregated fans. Assailant was fined £120 at Edinburgh Sheriff Court... Hibs coach John Lambie was fined £25 by SFA for dissent to Foote... Hearts were fined £1,000 by SFA for the disorder, and pledged to spend £10,000 installing fencing + cages... IIRC since then Edinburgh derbies and other major matches at Tynecastle and elsewhere have been segregated and 'all-ticket'.

1978082603%20Hibernian%201-1%20Tynecastl

1978082601.jpg

20244554__37817.1663847634.jpg?c=1?imbyp

Police%20trouble%20breaks%20out%20Hearts

image.png.6fa5dcd180cac46e9a49f78c29468f09.png

image.png.e2e06228364f104661f8876d4b488367.png

1978082801.jpg     1978082802.jpg

1978082603.jpg

Amateur hour compared to the Tom Hart Memorial game in 1982 and the Edinburgh cops went AWOL as the Jambos decided to smash every and any window on Easter Rd.

As seen by an eye witness.

Me

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I used to work with an older guy called Ian Foote. I wonder if it was the same guy?

I do remember the referee Foote doing some Meadowbank Thistle matches in the 1980s. I don't remember him being particularly noteworthy 

If he was shite at his job then probably was him, absolutely terrible referee. 

8 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Amateur hour compared to the Tom Hart Memorial game in 1982 and the Edinburgh cops went AWOL as the Jambos decided to smash every and any window on Easter Rd.

As seen by an eye witness.

Me

Gone are the days a competition the Festival Cup should sneer at could illicit widespread disorder.

Windows smashed as far away as Princes Street; bikes, cars, buses attacked; an ice cream van overturned.

1982080901%20Hibernian%200-1%20Easter%20

IMG_20190725_000212.jpg.4ccb1224ab62ac41

1982080901.jpg     1982080912.jpg     1982080914.jpg

1982081401.jpg

20 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I used to work with an older guy called Ian Foote. I wonder if it was the same guy?

I do remember the referee Foote doing some Meadowbank Thistle matches in the 1980s. I don't remember him being particularly noteworthy 

Familiar?

Referee Ian Foote with his linesman - Foote was attacked by a fan after crowd trouble broke out during the Hearts v Hibs Edinburgh Derby match at Tynecastle in August 1978.

20244565__45449.1663847724.jpg?c=1

This day in 1935 it was snowing in Dundee and bad light stopped play but it wasn’t cricket. In the old Division Two Dundee United were leading Brechin City 5-1 when the referee abandoned the game with 11 minutes to go. The game was replayed on Jan 2 when 2,000 turned up to see the teams draw 2-2. A few weeks later United met Alloa Athletic four times with ten days, Jan 25 Scottish Cup 1st Round 2-2 (H), Jan 29 Cup Replay 1-1 aet (A), Feb 1 League 4-0 (H), Feb 3 Cup 2nd Replay 2-1 (Tynecastle). Five days later United lost 3-5 at Cowdenbeath in the Cup 2nd Round.

https://www.arabarchive.co.uk/matches.php?

IMG_1846.jpeg

IMG_1847.jpeg

Edited by Eednud

On 04/12/2023 at 13:58, Dundee Hibernian said:

United had a strong line up for that match, and a young Jimmy Page (not that one) came on to replace Reilly in the second half.

His starting debut, a few months later in April 1984, lasted around 30 seconds, Tommy Boyd breaking his Page's leg with a wild challenge. A talented winger, Page never recovered from that incident, and after sporadic appearances over the next 3 years, he retired from the game aged 22.

You'll see his injury here, early in the match:

Talking of career ending injuries have a look at this one from Daryl MacKinnon-how he was allowed to play football I will never know.

Both feet off the ground lunging in.

image.thumb.png.01d501c01553a35f94b9827ddb09933b.png

The referee decided it was not even a foul never mind a penalty.

Henvey hardly played again.

Edited by Bobby12340

On 23/11/2023 at 07:25, Molotov said:

So many similar names in the Dee line up that must have caused some confusion when the manager was reading out the team sheet or giving the riot act at half time. 

Surnames Two Wilson’s, Two McLeans, One Stewart & one Stuart

First names: 2 x Alex, 2 x Bobby & 2 x George

IMG_5226.thumb.jpeg.c1f9c88a3c1eeeae1acc565519fa268a.jpeg

Must have been a great final to watch.

Video footage below. 

Shame Dundee never triumphed but you were up against legends of Europe! Thank you.

That Dundee team contained 2 Northern Ireland Internationals, Sammy Wilson and Billy Campbell.

A good question is who were the last 2 Dundee players to play against England at Wembley.

•  
  •  
    • 1Pat Jennings
    • 2John Parke
    • 3Alex Elder
    • 4Arthur Stewart
    • 5Terry Neill (c)
    • 6Martin Harvey
    • 7Billy Campbell
    • 8Willie Irvine
    • 9Sammy Wilson
    • 10Jimmy Nicholson
    • 11Dave Clements

53 minutes ago, Bobby12340 said:

That Dundee team contained 2 Northern Ireland Internationals, Sammy Wilson and Billy Campbell.

A good question is who were the last 2 Dundee players to play against England at Wembley.

That was the Home Internationals of 1969. I'm not sure if it's accurate but I remember someone saying Darius Adumzcuk and Piotr Chakowski lined up v England at Wembley but I don't think they were both with Dundee at the time

On 13/12/2023 at 00:16, tamthebam said:

This is he

Died in 1995

IMG_0774.jpeg.b39b71a384f2831afd10eb7b7be7bf73.jpeg

On 11/12/2023 at 10:22, HibeeJibee said:

Dumbarton Athletic F.C. - Wikipedia

Takeover by Dumbarton[edit]

As professionalism entered the game more and more, the formation of the Football League was generating new opportunities for Scottish players, and the clubs in the bigger towns were attracting bigger crowds, it became apparent that Dumbarton was too small to support two clubs; in 1888 the Lennox Herald remarked that "surely Saturday's match[21] will teach those wishing to uphold two first-class clubs in Dumbarton that the thing is utterly impossible. Football is being ruined in the burgh, and I think that the sooner some arrangement is come to, and a view to having representation by one good club, the better."[22] Later in the year Bailie Denny, honorary president of Dumbarton, advised the clubs to "sink all differences...to bring honour to the town."[23]

With only moral, rather than financial, support from the Dennys, the Athletics were in debt to the tune of £168; a mammoth sum in those days, higher than any player transfer fee until the mid-1890s. Discussions took place in secret between committee members of Dumbarton and the Athletics, and, on 8 August 1889, the Athletics committee unanimously agreed "to throw in their lot with their senior neighbours".[24]

Although described as a takeover, it was more an absorption, as the "merged" club played at Dumbarton's Boghead, in Dumbarton's colours, with a first XI made up mostly of Dumbarton players, and with Dumbarton taking over the Athletics' debts. Although most Athletics players were expected to be transferred to Dumbarton, it did not work out as intended; when the post-Athletics Dumbarton club played its first game, at Kirkintilloch Athletic F.C. in August 1889, only one of the Athletics players turned out for the Sons - goalkeeper John M'Leod, who was having to play as full-back owing to the non-appearance of a defender. The best of the Athletics, Alex Latta, decided to eschew the new club and instead signed professional forms with Everton.[25] This led to comments that Dumbarton, by taking on the Athletics' debts, had, in essence, paid £168 for one player.[26] However, many of the Athletics players who did not find other clubs did join the Dumbarton organisation, making up most of the reserve side, which played under the name Dumbarton Rangers.[27]

There was of course a third local club , Dumbarton Harp, who played in the Third Division in the 20s. Have a place in Thistle’s history as the opponents in the first ever match at Firhill, a Scottish Cup tie in 1909, scoring the very first Firhill goal. The match ball is on display in the Firhill boardroom with Dumbarton Harp’s name on it.

There were some others as well, my favourite being Alclutha, who later changed their name to Dunbritton, for having a decade of utter hopelessness.  11 Scottish Cup entries and they lost in the first round 10 times.  Got through just the once with a replay win against Vale of Leven Wanderers.

Screenshot2023-12-14at21_41_46.png.fdcba1510468996481460f4608da3625.png

^ interesting pre-Celtic sort-of-League table, from the 15 March 1887 Athletic News.  Some familiar names, some less than.  Note the Shire but no Falkirk.  The Wanderers in this one is from Dundee (as is Harp).   The Northern somehow ended up in the Scottish League despite never showing anything more than mediocre form, maybe to give a derby to Celtic and Cowlairs.  It's a snapshot of whom the media considered to be the leading clubs at that time.

The intriguing one here for me is Battlefield, they seem to have been a sort of posh boys take on Queen's Park; same colours, same locality, same amateurism.   They survive for a long time but there's nothing written about them, and in this era the papers were not into colour pieces so damned if I can see the motivation for forming such a club.  I've never seen a picture of them either.  William Sellar was their star player, he is described in the 1891 census as a "callander man" (no idea, unless he was boasting of his birthplace, he seems to have been from the north, Callander had early football and it was Callander men who gave the association game some impetus in Glasgow in the 1870s, there was even a Callander F.C.).  Interestingly (to me) he had a lodger, one John Smith, and I wonder if he was related to the Smith who was both on the Q.P. committee and secretary of the Battlefield, and who was slung off the Queen's Park committee for tapping players up for the Battlefield.

47 minutes ago, bluearmyfaction said:

he is described in the 1891 census as a "callander man"

Fairly common occupation in the jute industry in Dundee in years gone by. 

CALENDERER / CALENDERMAN / CALENDER WORKER - operated a machine which pressed using two large rollers (calender) used to press and finish fabrics or paper