A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I know it's obviously correct for Killie fans, but it's funny to read Kilbowie described as "up there", a term normally reserved for grounds a shade further north.

Ha, it's 30 miles or so North TBF.

Kirkaldy to Dundee kinda distance. 

On 17/01/2024 at 11:44, bluearmyfaction said:

Well, in 1984, they were spelling out 6 and above, but without brackets...

...by 1986 though you had to go to 7 to get the letters.

I recall seeing the teleprinter (predecessor to videprinter - which you show above in colour) long before 1984 and do recall the spelt out scores but definitely in brackets.  This was only example I could find but unfortunately no big score

image.png.18feae293fc158d6d4d19d29bc390cff.png

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Ha, it's 30 miles or so North TBF.

Kirkaldy to Dundee kinda distance. 

It's my central belt snootiness. I would go along to Kilbowie or Firhill, up to Pittodrie, and down to Palmerston

On 19/01/2024 at 11:17, Mark Connolly said:

I know it's obviously correct for Killie fans, but it's funny to read Kilbowie described as "up there", a term normally reserved for grounds a shade further north.

Even after more than four years living in southern teuchterland aka D&G, I still can't get used to road signs for The North, meaning Glasgow and Edinburgh. 

On 16/01/2024 at 14:08, Boghead ranter said:

7/9/91, Kilbowie

Ba***es 1, Killie 1.

Looks like Tommy Burns in 1 of the pics?

Screenshot_20240116-140531_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.6eb7fe8d2d9b16939b635102564ee61a.jpgScreenshot_20240116-140547_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.9453dc8ce4de1b99c8968d7081f6c795.jpgScreenshot_20240116-140601_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ccdde45aa1be7737692e6bb4dcc2cd98.jpgScreenshot_20240116-140615_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.fcd00b66d91d89db4098cd59aad845c6.jpg

Wasn't there that day but a few pals are in the grainy distance.

A couple of interesting part timers were on the scoresheet in that 1-1 draw.

1d9d83e82e4c82830a906fd4330cec72.jpg

Calum Campbell gave Killie a first half lead. Known by the fans as "Psycho Nurse" due to his job and 20th century insensitivity. After his playing days he moved into hospital management and is the current chief executive of NHS Lothian.

Prolific marksman Ken Eadie equalised for Clydebank after the break. This came a few months after his 30 goals in the 1990-91 season had won him a £1000 prize and the Daily Record Golden Shot award, edging out Gordon Dalziel of Raith Rovers with a final day four goal haul against Partick Thistle.

183343931_3877495158955052_3272817658465

The Bankies all time top scorer, Eadie resisted numerous offers to go full time to maintain his career with a plant hire company, as mentioned in this film (which ironically features the reverse fixture at Rugby Park that season)...

9 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

1d9d83e82e4c82830a906fd4330cec72.jpg

Calum Campbell gave Killie a first half lead. Known by the fans as "Psycho Nurse" due to his job and 20th century insensitivity. After his playing days he moved into hospital management and is the current chief executive of NHS Lothian

Dumbarton's joint record signing*, we reputedly paid £50k for him from you guys.

*The other is Charlie 'God' Gibson, who pretty much every Sons fan feels gave us a much better return for the money spent.

interesting story from Friends of Football NZ about using a New Zealand penny for the coin toss at the Scottish Cup Final.

The picture they’ve used is from the 1954 final, Celtic 2 Aberdeen 1 (130,060). Aberdeen had defeated Celtic 3 times that season, twice in the League Cup and also at Pittodrie in the league.

The referee was Charlie Faultless, a rather misfortunate name for a ref. No idea who the players are.

https://www.friendsoffootballnz.com/2024/01/21/special-feature-how-a-cup-final-coin-bonds-new-zealand-and-scottish-referees/

IMG_1880.webp

Edited by Eednud

3 hours ago, Eednud said:

interesting story from Friends of Football NZ about using a New Zealand penny for the coin toss at the Scottish Cup Final.

The picture they’ve used is from the 1954 final, Celtic 2 Aberdeen 1 (130,060). Aberdeen had defeated Celtic 3 times that season, twice in the League Cup and also at Pittodrie in the league.

The referee was Charlie Faultless, a rather misfortunate name for a ref. No idea who the players are.

https://www.friendsoffootballnz.com/2024/01/21/special-feature-how-a-cup-final-coin-bonds-new-zealand-and-scottish-referees/

IMG_1880.webp

What? That's Jock stein for Celtic and Jimmy Mitchell for Aberdeen.

14 hours ago, Eednud said:

IMG_1880.webp

They used a New Zealand penny to stop a mass trespass of Aberdonians trying to pinch the coin as it was thrown into the air... 

Anyone got photos of 80's Clyde.fc photos that aint can't be found generally online? The search results are bringing up utterly notthing than the okay stuff thats there but i know there is way better information on kits from loads of great photos out there. Has anyone got these photos of Clyde from the 80's wearing home and away kits and the ones with Solripe and Encore Foods on? Researching all kits of Scotland from 1980-90 as part of a project that i'm working on with an illustrator who is trying to recreate all the worlds kits from the same time period. 

Thanks. 

Graham. 

4 hours ago, CaveFC88 said:

Anyone got photos of 80's Clyde.fc photos that aint can't be found generally online? The search results are bringing up utterly notthing than the okay stuff thats there but i know there is way better information on kits from loads of great photos out there. Has anyone got these photos of Clyde from the 80's wearing home and away kits and the ones with Solripe and Encore Foods on? Researching all kits of Scotland from 1980-90 as part of a project that i'm working on with an illustrator who is trying to recreate all the worlds kits from the same time period. 

Thanks. 

Graham. 

Have you tried contacting the person producing this information? Links at bottom. might help?

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Clyde/Clyde.htm

This picture is from a Scottish Cup First Round tie on this day in 1909 when Dundee beat Ayr Parkhouse 9-0 in front of 12,000 at Dens. They went out next round 0-1 at Ibrox after a 0-0 draw at Dens. Pic from www.deearchive.co.uk

IMG_1882.jpeg