A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

4 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

And still being worn at the World Cup 3 years later.

Back in the day when strips weren’t changed every year in an attempt to fleece more money out of the fans.  

Your point stands, but I think it was actually launched in 1988, rather than 1987.  

The 'home' strip was first worn in a defeat at Wembley.

3 hours ago, jamtart1972 said:

FFS 🤣 The myth that is The Bridge of Doom 🤣 

Never in my life have I experienced any issue trying to cross that bridge before or after any Edinburgh Derby from those damn pesky dressed liberty takers. 

For those fans of a certain age they'll remember the Hearts support wasn't allowed to cross that bridge to gain access to The Dunbar End/Main Stand or back onto Easter Road after the game  hence the lyrics to the song we sang in the 80s to the tune to The Blaydon Races. (running along the Albion Road)

I think once the new Dunbar End was built and the away support was reduced it was easier for the police to direct fans back onto Easter Road via the bridge. 

Funny to think that since casuals first hit the streets there are certain Hibs casuals who are still actively involved in that scene, I witnessed a wee tiff at Edinburghs Playhouse before the last Derby when a very young group of Hearts Ultras battled briefly with some known Hibees who let's just say are knocking on the door of No 60 !!!! 

Time to grow up naw ? 

IMG_20190922_170557.jpg

Good for you, crossing it in those numbers. Try it with a single bus load and you might feel a bit more exposed.

The Scottish connection in this photo of AFC Bournemouth from 1973 is Jimmy Gabriel (back row third left) ex Dundee, Hibs, Everton and others also a Scottish cap and also John Benson (back row second right) ex Manchester City, Torquay, Bournemouth, Exeter, Norwich. He also was manager of Bournemouth, Manchester City, Burnley and Wigan. He was born in Arbroath but his family moved to Manchester early in his life. Harry Redknapp is also in there. Found this on the Friends of Football NZ site:

https://www.friendsoffootballnz.com/2024/02/11/how-footballs-links-between-auckland-and-bournemouth-go-back-half-a-century/

IMG_1897.webp

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You described it as a myth. My experience is very different. To be fair Hearts was much the same.

I don't know where your going with your responses but I was initially laughing at the myth, if you've been the victim of the myth then I can only sympathise with you and your bus load. 

As for an away fan visiting Tynecastle I didn't realise it was up there for being an overly cautious visit. 

9 minutes ago, jamtart1972 said:

I don't know where your going with your responses but I was initially laughing at the myth, if you've been the victim of the myth then I can only sympathise with you and your bus load. 

As for an away fan visiting Tynecastle I didn't realise it was up there for being an overly cautious visit. 

Both grounds have more than their share of moments.

My point is that your original post minimised the degree of risk to visiting supporters. I'd expect bgit supports to be fine. I'd also expect wee teams to be fine as well. The middlish order Falkirk, St Mirren, Motherwell, Airdrie etc will have different experinces

41 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Both grounds have more than their share of moments.

My point is that your original post minimised the degree of risk to visiting supporters. I'd expect bgit supports to be fine. I'd also expect wee teams to be fine as well. The middlish order Falkirk, St Mirren, Motherwell, Airdrie etc will have different experinces

Hey, the lad was fine in amongst a boisterous and confident visiting support of 4 or 5,000, so everyone's experiences must have been the same, right?

On 10/02/2024 at 09:49, Boghead ranter said:

Screenshot_20240210-094718_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2d5ea7154dabd8e35c5dfbee21a973f1.jpg

After a game at Easter Road in the late 1980s there were a lot of Hibees crossing the Bridge of Doom and it was packed tight. A chap in front us was unfamiliar with the bridge layout and wapped his bollocks off one of the bollards at the start of the bridge, much to the amusement of me and my pal. 

A Scottish player I had never heard of until recently, Derek 'Jesus' Currie. He arrived as one of a trio of inaugural professionals in Hong Kong in 1970 and quickly became a trailblazer, after an inauspicious career at Third Lanark and Motherwell.

HongKongfootballlegendDerekJesusCurrie.thumb.jpg.6c5d60e53a9e85d759654715886eb547.jpg

Held in the highest regard in the British Colony, Currie was known as 'Jesus' throughout the Territory, even after retiring in 1982.

There are lots of articles about Currie's career, the following contains photographs of him with Pele, Geoff Hurst, Alex Ferguson, and Peter Schmeichel.

https://www.pattayamail.com/sports/pattayasports/when-jesus-came-to-hong-kong-the-remarkable-story-of-the-first-european-football-star-in-asia-421370

The title of that article contains the name of his autobiography, "When 'Jesus' Came to Hong Kong: the remarkable story of the first European star in Asia".

As a huge Hong Kong celebrity, he met many star visitors: here he is with Marvelous Marvin Hagler and Stevie Wonder:

marvinhaglersteviewonderderekcurrie.thumb.jpg.75bfa2b478b51520f8613739c6c42bba.jpg

On 11/02/2024 at 12:44, Eednud said:

The Scottish connection in this photo of AFC Bournemouth from 1973 is Jimmy Gabriel (back row third left) ex Dundee, Hibs, Everton and others also a Scottish cap and also John Benson (back row second right) ex Manchester City, Torquay, Bournemouth, Exeter, Norwich. He also was manager of Bournemouth, Manchester City, Burnley and Wigan. He was born in Arbroath but his family moved to Manchester early in his life. Harry Redknapp is also in there. Found this on the Friends of Football NZ site:

https://www.friendsoffootballnz.com/2024/02/11/how-footballs-links-between-auckland-and-bournemouth-go-back-half-a-century/

IMG_1897.webp

I think there is possibly another Scot in that photo - bottom row, 3rd from right - Ian Gibson (Named as unknown in the line-up).

15 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think there is possibly another Scot in that photo - bottom row, 3rd from right - Ian Gibson (Named as unknown in the line-up).

He is mentioned in the programme. Born Newton Mearns, made his debut at 15 for Accrington Stanley then played for Bradford Park Avenue, Middlesbrough, Coventry City and Cardiff City plus twice for Scotland U23.

1 minute ago, Eednud said:

He is mentioned in the programme. Born Newton Mearns, made his debut at 15 for Accrington Stanley then played for Bradford Park Avenue, Middlesbrough, Coventry City and Cardiff City plus twice for Scotland U23.

I only took notice of him on the team photo because at a quick glance I thought it was a young(ish) Tommy Hutchison without the 'tache. 

11 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

A Scottish player I had never heard of until recently, Derek 'Jesus' Currie. He arrived as one of a trio of inaugural professionals in Hong Kong in 1970 and quickly became a trailblazer, after an inauspicious career at Third Lanark and Motherwell.

HongKongfootballlegendDerekJesusCurrie.thumb.jpg.6c5d60e53a9e85d759654715886eb547.jpg

Held in the highest regard in the British Colony, Currie was known as 'Jesus' throughout the Territory, even after retiring in 1982.

There are lots of articles about Currie's career, the following contains photographs of him with Pele, Geoff Hurst, Alex Ferguson, and Peter Schmeichel.

https://www.pattayamail.com/sports/pattayasports/when-jesus-came-to-hong-kong-the-remarkable-story-of-the-first-european-football-star-in-asia-421370

The title of that article contains the name of his autobiography, "When 'Jesus' Came to Hong Kong: the remarkable story of the first European star in Asia".

As a huge Hong Kong celebrity, he met many star visitors: here he is with Marvelous Marvin Hagler and Stevie Wonder:

marvinhaglersteviewonderderekcurrie.thumb.jpg.75bfa2b478b51520f8613739c6c42bba.jpg

He also played twice for Dumbarton, rather bizarrely in a 0-4 defeat at Palmerston in season 1964/65 then years later in 1968/69 when he scored twice in a 3-1 win over Berwick at Boghead.

I was at that game and I remember he looked a pretty decent winger - two goals in two appearances is impressive.

On 10/02/2024 at 14:50, jamtart1972 said:

FFS 🤣 The myth that is The Bridge of Doom 🤣 

Never in my life have I experienced any issue trying to cross that bridge before or after any Edinburgh Derby from those damn pesky dressed liberty takers. 

For those fans of a certain age they'll remember the Hearts support wasn't allowed to cross that bridge to gain access to The Dunbar End/Main Stand or back onto Easter Road after the game  hence the lyrics to the song we sang in the 80s to the tune to The Blaydon Races. (running along the Albion Road)

I think once the new Dunbar End was built and the away support was reduced it was easier for the police to direct fans back onto Easter Road via the bridge. 

Funny to think that since casuals first hit the streets there are certain Hibs casuals who are still actively involved in that scene, I witnessed a wee tiff at Edinburghs Playhouse before the last Derby when a very young group of Hearts Ultras battled briefly with some known Hibees who let's just say are knocking on the door of No 60 !!!! 

Time to grow up naw ? 

IMG_20190922_170557.jpg

Seen trouble on that bridge quite a few times. 

Last time was on boxing day (might have been the 27th actually) maybe 15 years ago. Hibs fans came out the Albion pub, so technically not on the bridge. 

Mind playing Hibs last game of the season 1994. Was 6,000 Killie fans packed in behind the goals. After the game the away fans were all walking to the buses up Easter Road and the casuals tried to have a go from a corner street. They were last seen hiding in the ladbrokes! I was only young but mind it being pretty funny.