A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

5 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

That's a cracker, the halyconic days of European football (at least for me).

The Yugoslav league during those days seemed full of interest and competitiveness.

Football in the Balkans have yet to recover from the break-up of Yugoslavia and maybe never will.

And how ow well did the Macedonians do to qualify for European football from the Yugolsav First League with the likes of Dinamo Zagreb, Partizan Belgrade, Red Star Belgrade, Hadjuk Split, Velez Mostar, Željezničar, Radnički Niš and the likes!

Similarly, in the Soviet Union, where fans of teams of the likes of Dynamo Kiev, Dinamo Tbilisi, and Ararat Yerevan used football as means to express their nationalism as the football stadium represented their only opportunity of freedon of expression, the football stadium in Yugoslavia witnessed the beginnings of the three year war in Match between Dinamo and Red Star.

The Serbian warlord Arkan also recruited his bloodthirsty paramilitaries from the terraces of the Red Star Stadium. They would commit atrocities during the war bordering on genocide. I visited in 2006, and you could see the house he built with the turbofolk musician Ceca which was garishly designed like a wedding cake directly outside the stadium. I'm not sure if it still stands there to this day.

Arkan would get his comeuppance in a hotel lobby in Belgrade in 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attempted_assassination_of_Nikola_Štedul

A shooting in Kirkcaldy in 1988 which was linked with the Scotland V Yugoslavia game 

Arkan was a Red Star fan- they played Rangers in the European Cup in 1990-91 so he may have visited Ibrox. 

Talking of Crvena Zvezda the hardest football fans I ever saw were 4 Red Star fans in Shandwick Place when Hearts played them. They weren't doing anything noteworthy, you just got the feeling these were guys not to be messed with. 

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attempted_assassination_of_Nikola_Štedul

A shooting in Kirkcaldy in 1988 which was linked with the Scotland V Yugoslavia game 

Arkan was a Red Star fan- they played Rangers in the European Cup in 1990-91 so he may have visited Ibrox. 

Talking of Crvena Zvezda the hardest football fans I ever saw were 4 Red Star fans in Shandwick Place when Hearts played them. They weren't doing anything noteworthy, you just got the feeling these were guys not to be messed with. 

Croatia is the same. Everyone was very polite and welcoming, but there was a look about loads of them that they'd been involved in atrocities and wouldn't need much encouragement to start again.

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Croatia is the same. Everyone was very polite and welcoming, but there was a look about loads of them that they'd been involved in atrocities and wouldn't need much encouragement to start again.

When we were in Bosnia for a Dons game there was a definite undercurrent. 

On 08/06/2024 at 10:50, kennie makevin said:

1969 Scottish Cup Semi . Aberdeen 1, Rangers 6.

I was at that game as a small boy. My only real memory of it is a sea of red bunnets (with white pin stripes) in the Celtic end as we watched the game from the Jungle.

20 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was at the Yugoslavia V Scotland game in Zagreb in '89 - great few days until just after the game when fireworks were thrown at us by a mob as we got off the tram...

Followed shortly after by the war in that area, which I believe had a helping hand in starting by events at a football match..