A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

GP23861761.jpg

The 1987 Scottish Cup Final was played between St Mirren and Dundee United at Hampden Park on 16 May 1987.

Underdogs St Mirren won the game 1–0, with a goal by Ian Ferguson. It was their third Scottish Cup win in their then 110-year history.

Edited by The_Judge

30 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

GP23861761.jpg

The 1987 Scottish Cup Final was played between St Mirren and Dundee United at Hampden Park on 16 May 1987.

Underdogs St Mirren won the game 1–0, with a goal by Ian Ferguson. It was their third Scottish Cup win in their then 110-year history.

Interestingly, the last time that a cup-winning team consisted entirely of Scottish players. Probably won't happen again. 

On 10/13/2018 at 13:32, Eednud said:

The Socceroos captain was Adelaide born John Kosmina. He was actually signed by Arsenal and played in 1 league game and 3 UEFA Cup games in 78/79. Most as a sub.

He was quite a big manager in Australia for while (managed Sydney and Adelaide United).  He once famously took Kevin Muscat by the throat! 

5 hours ago, The_Judge said:

GP23861761.jpg

Remember that day as it was my brothers wedding day, I was ten years old, dad  drove us down to Plymouth the Friday night (my brother  was in the royal  navy at the time) and I recall watching bits of the FA Cup final in the hotel (Coventry 3 Tottenham 2), before the days of mobile phones and the internet they just briefly mentioned an Ian Ferguson goal won the Scottish Cup Final,  as each side had a player of that name that was no fucking help whatsoever. 

Edited by Flybhoy

Guest Moomintroll
Back in my younger days Rangers FC signed Mark Walters and the Scottish press was full of comment about him being the first black player in Scottish football in modern times 
The ignorant b*****ds ignored "King" Victor Kasule who'd been playing for Albion Rovers and Meadowbank Thistle. 30 years on and the Scottish press have a more knowledgeable approach to lower division football, don't they....? 
5bc664a11ba5b_kingvic1.thumb.jpg.53776a029aa4ba8e8c080535e34e4e99.jpg
5bc664bfdaa71_kingvic2.jpg.f5492293bc0c6b48d513b98b7b1f0a5f.jpg
5bc664d75e302_kingvic3.thumb.jpg.1f4c94f88a0703eddf95768e389c1755.jpg
5bc664f52ec57_kingvic4.thumb.jpg.7964c14c93801d2c324730111be4884a.jpg
Now there is a proper legend, getting booked for singing a George Benson song at a referee should give him an instant entry to the Hall of Fame.

John Robertson scores from the penalty spot in 1981, a strike which was enough to secure a second Wembley victory in four years for Scotland. Picture: TSPL

I love photos like this. The symmetry is almost perfect with the scorer in the middle, keeper going one way and the ball the other. It's John Robertson beating Joe Corrigan at Wembley in 1981. 

5bc9b49146c83_Untitled2.jpg.c28297a384a000721c1c40352f1c04c7.jpgimage.png.5f40e018e219c3ee754c23159b3f91df.png

Unfortunately I can't find the actual pic but I remember seeing one of Jim Baxter sending  Gordon Banks the wrong way in 1963 when the photographer was directly in line with Baxter. That one was perfect.

Picture of Finn Dossing, Lennart Wing and Orjan Persson from Blether with Brown story about the signing of Dossing and Persson.  Anybody know what ground it was taken at? Shawfield?

5bc0a16756d2f-e1539352184802-559x372.jpg&key=1964dab14a69ca37d4c16f7c146a0346f714db03c73d17830b2b19d03d8916e1

Airdrie maybe? Unsure though

17 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Aberdeen fans celebrate on the Firhill pitch after winning the league in 1980, I was under the impression they won the title at Easter Road that season, any older Dandies fans know the circumstances around this picture?

Younger Aberdeen fans that know the answer aren't allowed to reply.

Edited by 7-2

12 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Aberdeen fans celebrate on the Firhill pitch after winning the league in 1980, I was under the impression they won the title at Easter Road that season, any older Dandies fans know the circumstances around this picture?

IMG_20181021_204344.jpg

They effectively won it at Easter Road on the Saturday, prompting Ferguson to run across the field hugging everyone.

The reality however was that they had to avoid losing by, I think, ten goals at Firhill midweek.  I think it was 1-1 in the end, but they  lost a first minute goal.

They therefore sort of got two goes at celebrating.

Not sure if been posted before but Harry Melrose just scored Dunfermline's 2nd goal in 2-0 win over Everton in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup and secure a 2-1 aggregate win. Everton ended up winning the English League that season.

Image result for dunfermline athletic v everton 1960's

Edited by Eednud

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 15.19.16.png

The video above, taken at Muirton Park ‘circa 1973–74’, is a series of haphazard clips that doesn’t capture much goalmouth excitement, never mind goals. But I love it.

Televised games at Muirton were rare in any case, but homemade footage is a priceless journey back in time. Shorn of anaesthetic highlights to dictate to you how it was, this captures something more recognisable. The film was made a couple of years before my first Saints game at Muirton, but this is how I remember it: the lazy atmosphere around the ground, the football a little less aggressive. And that early scene outside the ground had me holding the impossible hope I’d see my grandad, who held a season ticket for 70 years.

A wee bit of digging adds a  colour to the footage. The opposition is clearly Dumbarton, and from the autumnal trees  it’s possible to say confidently that it was filmed on October 7, 1972; Dumbarton won 2-0 with a goal in each half.

That makes it a significant game for both sides. Dumbarton, who had won the old second division title earlier that year, were struggling in the top league. This win would end up their first of the season and would prove crucial: the Sons would eventually stay up on goal difference.

Significant for Saints fans too, because this is the last footage I know of of Willie Ormond-era St Johnstone. A few weeks later, Tommy Docherty would resign as Scotland boss and Willie would step up to replace him. And the manager who’d succeed Ormond was Sons’ boss Jackie Stewart; perhaps it was his team’s performance on this day that impressed the Saints board.

This was the autumn of a Saints team etched into memory. John Connolly had gone earlier in 1972, but here are Donaldson, Lambie and Argue, and Henry Hall wearing that number 8 shirt. Kenny Aird and Jim Pearson too. What a privilege to get a last shuddery glimpse of them.

For Dumbarton, this game marked the breakthrough of Tom McAdam, later of Celtic. He was just 18 and got one of Dumbarton’s goals. He’d prove a long-lasting tormentor of Saints – 17 years later, in November 1989, he scored the winner for Airdrie at McDiarmid that blew the 1989-90 First Division championship race open. (McAdam was injured and sitting in the stand for Saints’ famous 3-1 victory later that same season.)

Edited by Mr Heliums