What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

On 01/06/2024 at 19:31, DiegoDiego said:

Referring to players by their first name is cringey enough when they're of the team you support. Calling Old Firm players by their first name is definite big team found territory.

I'm pretty sure Japanese naming culture dictates that the family name is first followed by the given name. In this case Kyogo is the second name and therefore the one that appears on his shirt. That'll be why he's more commonly referred to as Kyogo as opposed to Furuhashi. 

1 minute ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I'm pretty sure Japanese naming culture dictates that the family name is first followed by the given name. In this case Kyogo is the second name and therefore the one that appears on his shirt. That'll be why he's more commonly referred to as Kyogo as opposed to Furuhashi. 

There is no place on this thread for sound reasoning and logical thoughts.

7 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I believe Kyogo is his given name although in Japanese naming convention it is written after the family name.  If we followed the usual practice in Scotland his shirt name would be Furuhashi i.e. family name.  Parents in Japan call their kids by their given name just like we do so he'd be called Kyogo by his family.  

Folk pretending the only reason they use Kyogo and not Furuhashi is because that's what he prefers, and not because it's just easier to remember how to spell.

On 04/06/2024 at 08:51, hk blues said:

I believe Kyogo is his given name although in Japanese naming convention it is written after the family name.  If we followed the usual practice in Scotland his shirt name would be Furuhashi i.e. family name.  Parents in Japan call their kids by their given name just like we do so he'd be called Kyogo by his family.  

B6D4C875-55A6-41E5-8E0C-19CB2702AD9A.jpeg

Honestly, who gives a f**k?

Whether we call him Kyogo or Furuhashi, we all know exactly who we mean. What he gets called officially is up to him.

Proper shouting at clouds stuff to even have an opinion on it. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Folk pretending the only reason they use Kyogo and not Furuhashi is because that's what he prefers, and not because it's just easier to remember how to spell.

Not just the spelling. Ive got Sellick supporting mates who refer to "the Polish defender".

24 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Honestly, who gives a f**k?

Whether we call him Kyogo or Furuhashi, we all know exactly who we mean. What he gets called officially is up to him.

Proper shouting at clouds stuff to even have an opinion on it. 

Best not to talk about him at all

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Not just the spelling. Ive got Sellick supporting mates who refer to "the Polish defender".

On the subject of him, it’s a pet hate of mine hearing his name pronounced by commentators, etc as “Naw-Rocky”.

It should quite clearly be “Nav-Roch-Ki”.

But there’s a good chance I’ll be flying solo on my own ‘old man shouts at cloud’ scenario here.

55 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

On the subject of him, it’s a pet hate of mine hearing his name pronounced by commentators, etc as “Naw-Rocky”.

But there’s a good chance I’ll be flying solo on my own ‘old man shouts at cloud’ scenario here.

I know this is Scottish commentators/pundits so I already know the answer, but do commentators and stuff not get briefed on foreign pronunciation at the start of the season?

I'm sure I've read/heard somewhere that the English commentators get a quick brief on how to properly pronounce names so they can be as accurate as possible during commentary (not helped by having dimwitted c***s like McManaman and Ferdinand obviously). 

Surely the Scottish commentators do similar?

19 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I know this is Scottish commentators/pundits so I already know the answer, but do commentators and stuff not get briefed on foreign pronunciation at the start of the season?

I'm sure I've read/heard somewhere that the English commentators get a quick brief on how to properly pronounce names so they can be as accurate as possible during commentary (not helped by having dimwitted c***s like McManaman and Ferdinand obviously). 

"McManaman" itself would have been awkward enough for foreign commentators

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

It's certainly not a naw  sound  but Isn't it more like "Navrotski" or "Navroski"

Do we have any Polish contributors on P&B who can sort this out properly 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

49 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Depends but usually the club's press officer would let commentators and journalists know before the start of the season.

Players can call themselves what they want and that is what should then appear on back of shirt, team lines and such. None of this surname on the official line ups but first name/nickname on shirt. Not everyone's conversant with all players. 

3 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

I’ve heard Richard Gordon say that when Celtic signed Rafael Scheidt they had to phone a BBC office somewhere that checked pronunciations of foreign names, places etc. And they were told in no uncertain terms that Scheidt was definitively, unequivocally, absolutely pronounced “Shite”.