The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s not a brilliant location. Not awful for a one off gig or event but still a challenge to get home at the end of a night. 

Not suitable if you’re asking folk to do it every other week, IMO. 

So in terms I’d understand…

That’s like the highland show grounds at Ingliston or Musselburgh races 

19 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Not knowing Aberdeen’s that  well I’m puzzled 

they managed to have an Exhibition centre there for years so surety it can’t be that impractical a location for a large events venue 

im clearly missing something 

It was in an arsehole of a location, reachable only by a public transport network that's still some way off in the future. 

9 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

So in terms I’d understand…

That’s like the highland show grounds at Ingliston or Musselburgh races 

Probably more ingliston, although links to there are better given the airport is out there. Even Musselburgh you could get the train. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Probably more ingliston, although links to there are better given the airport is out there. Even Musselburgh you could get the train. 

The train station in Musselburgh is nowhere near the racecourse, though. The buses are close by, but not sure how well they cope with a post-meet crowd.

Edited by morrison

14 minutes ago, morrison said:

The train station in Musselburgh is nowhere near the racecourse, though. The buses are close by, but not sure how we'll they cope with a post-meet crowd.

I don’t know Musselburgh really, so you can file my take on that in the bin. I just knew it had a station. 

It's a fair shout for Aberdeen not to move to Kingsford, which would be doing a Falkirk and having the stadium in a different town to the one the club is named after.

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don’t know Musselburgh really, so you can file my take on that in the bin. I just knew it had a station. 

Generally I’ll get the bus to Musselburgh and I’m the unlikely event of turning a small profit against the bookies I’ll blow it on a taxi

6 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It's a fair shout for Aberdeen not to move to Kingsford, which would be doing a Falkirk and having the stadium in a different town to the one the club is named after.

Bayern Munich's stadium is about 20 miles out of the city in an industrial estate with a Cumbernauld vibe about it. 

There is a dedicated rail station specifically for the stadium about half a mile from the ground, parking for cars and buses is very limited, they don't want people making their own way to the stadium but rather get the train which is included in the price of the ticket.  All well and good if you are making a day/night of it for the football but must be an absolute b*****d if you are rushing to the game having just finished your work and having to get the connection train from the city centre, the nearer to kick off the busier they are and you often may have to wait on a couple of trains going before finally getting on one.

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Bayern Munich's stadium is about 20 miles out of the city in an industrial estate with a Cumbernauld vibe about it. 

There is a dedicated rail station specifically for the stadium about half a mile from the ground, parking for cars and buses is very limited, they don't want people making their own way to the stadium but rather get the train which is included in the price of the ticket.  All well and good if you are making a day/night of it for the football but must be an absolute b*****d if you are rushing to the game having just finished your work and having to get the connection train from the city centre, the nearer to kick off the busier they are and you often may have to wait on a couple of trains going before finally getting on one.

Bollocks as regards the 20 miles.

It's 11,3 km from the Hauptbahnhof or 10,5km from Marienplatz.

Edited by German Jag

I know Kingsford is way out of the way and clearly closer to the city centre is better, but in reality, how man fans either stay in city centre and walk or go to the pubs etc before the game? I'm sure Aberdeen will have done the research, but I would imagine the figure is declining each year.

Football fans habits have changed. I would imagine most will drive to the game or certainly take some form of public transport. Is it a massive change in going to other direction?

Almost all Scottish football grounds when first built were on the edge of town, so this would be no different. Mcdiarmid for example is 30 years old and was on edge of town, but in last 2/3 years in particular, the boundary of the town has been pushed much further out.

Obviously for Aberdeen, Kingsford is much much further from town and not exactly a clear drive out there from city centre.

If say Aberdeen could get the old AECC site, that would be best all round and would leave them with a big space they own at Kingsford they could use to build more training pitches, or dare I say it, sell off for a tidy profit for housing to help fund a new stadium? 

13 hours ago, German Jag said:

Bollocks as regards the 20 miles.

It's 11,3 km from the Hauptbahnhof or 10,5km from Marienplatz.

Yep, so less than half the claimed mileage.

I know Kingsford is way out of the way and clearly closer to the city centre is better, but in reality, how man fans either stay in city centre and walk or go to the pubs etc before the game? I'm sure Aberdeen will have done the research, but I would imagine the figure is declining each year.
Football fans habits have changed. I would imagine most will drive to the game or certainly take some form of public transport. Is it a massive change in going to other direction?
Almost all Scottish football grounds when first built were on the edge of town, so this would be no different. Mcdiarmid for example is 30 years old and was on edge of town, but in last 2/3 years in particular, the boundary of the town has been pushed much further out.
Obviously for Aberdeen, Kingsford is much much further from town and not exactly a clear drive out there from city centre.
If say Aberdeen could get the old AECC site, that would be best all round and would leave them with a big space they own at Kingsford they could use to build more training pitches, or dare I say it, sell off for a tidy profit for housing to help fund a new stadium? 

I agree to a point, although Kingsford would’ve been a nightmare traffic wise. The plans involved 50-100 buses being hired for every matchday with the last one leaving 1 hour before kick off. In terms of driving, it’s pretty much one road in and out with little other public transport and maybe a couple of hundred who are able to walk home. 10k+ fans all trying to get in and out at the same time would’ve been a disaster. At least with McDiarmid you can walk it from the station in about 45 minutes.

With a stadium at the beach, you have King street, Union street and the bus and train station all 10-20mins away as well as countless pubs, food places, shopping etc nearby to absorb the crowd. All the infrastructure you need is already there.

The old AECC site would be similar to Kingsford, if not quite as bad. Not very easy to get to which isn’t bad if you’re going to one or two gigs in a year but a bit of a headache if you’re going to twenty games a season.

9 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I agree to a point, although Kingsford would’ve been a nightmare traffic wise. The plans involved 50-100 buses being hired for every matchday with the last one leaving 1 hour before kick off. In terms of driving, it’s pretty much one road in and out with little other public transport and maybe a couple of hundred who are able to walk home. 10k+ fans all trying to get in and out at the same time would’ve been a disaster. At least with McDiarmid you can walk it from the station in about 45 minutes.

With a stadium at the beach, you have King street, Union street and the bus and train station all 10-20mins away as well as countless pubs, food places, shopping etc nearby to absorb the crowd. All the infrastructure you need is already there.

The old AECC site would be similar to Kingsford, if not quite as bad. Not very easy to get to which isn’t bad if you’re going to one or two gigs in a year but a bit of a headache if you’re going to twenty games a season.

Is the beach option the one somewhere near the ASDA? Heard something about an old hotel that is getting knocked down.

Clearly, a big enough site near the city centre would be best all round, but I dont think the need to have a stadium within walking distance to a city centre is as critical as it was 5-10 years ago, assuming the stadium and transport links are done right.

9 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Is the beach option the one somewhere near the ASDA? Heard something about an old hotel that is getting knocked down.

Clearly, a big enough site near the city centre would be best all round, but I dont think the need to have a stadium within walking distance to a city centre is as critical as it was 5-10 years ago, assuming the stadium and transport links are done right.

The beach option will be part of the Boulevard redevelopment.

The council have rejected several different locations (beach included) going back two decades now. That's why we've ended up with Kingsford being the chosen option and a large amount of the support being behind it. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
22 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Still too far out of town for TSV 1860 München to make it work

That's more to do with the fact that 1860 are just too small a club for the stadium. And the're a bit shite.