BBC bias

19 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The Tories are toast. Even tory voters are sick of them. The question is how big is the Labour majority will be and how long do we have to wait.

The actions of this zombie government are the only play book they have left. It won't work, stoking up division and trying to erode civil liberties is not a winning strategy. It will only galvanise the opposition and drive up their turnout. Whilst failing to re-engage their own voters and they will hemorrhage more and more. They already know they are losing in 2024/25.

The bleeding cannot be stopped now. Unfortunately, they won't bow out with grace and are intent on fucking up this country as much as possible so Labour inherit a binfire and the Tories can try to get back in, in 2029/30. That's their plan.

I'm not as confident as you that will happen.  Never underestimate the ability of the Labour Party to miss an open goal

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

11 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

What what boils my pish about all this is the fact that the client BBC  journalists like Kuennesberg are allowed to regurgitate Tory propaganda without any reaction.  The hypocrisy is just ridiculous.

Not only regurgitate it - as that would be a complete cluster f**k of contradictions, U-turns and outright lies on many occasions - but they spin it into something approaching semi-coherence and suggestive of something that is consistent and credible policy ie (normal) Government like....

Edited by KingRocketman II
(normal)

10 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Gary completely correct in what he said about Braverman.

But he was quite happy to take the coin in Qatar.

And when in Qatar he made a statement before the opening game criticising their human rights record... the BBC were happy for him to make a political statement then, because it wasn't the opposite if Tory policy.

15 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

And when in Qatar he made a statement before the opening game criticising their human rights record... the BBC were happy for him to make a political statement then, because it wasn't the opposite if Tory policy.

Any enemy of Saudi Arabia is fair game for HMG.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I think that's the big worry about the general direction the Tories are heading.  You can see that they are attempting to erode civil liberties, making it difficult to protest or take action to prevent their vile policies passing.

It's not helped though by the Labour Party acting as enablers on the issue of immigration - they are nothing more than a Red UKIP.  It's a fucking mess because they’ve pussyfooted around the whole issue of race and immigration for the past 40 or 50 years to the extent that a substantial part of the electorate are easily manipulated to supporting racist policies.

And if you want a living embodiment of this situation then I give you Lee Anderson, Deputy Conservative Chair and MP for Ashfield in Notts, a man who has migrated from the Labour Party into the rabid wing of the Tories. 

Not that anyone should be too surprised; history showed us that Mosley's blackshirts were bolstered by working class members who fell for the poisonous but seductive message of demonising 'the other' in the face of economic hardship and social upheaval.

Whilst that was bad enough, the problem in the here and now is the utter shitebaggery of Starmer's Labour Party in failing to confront and call out ruinous and morally bankrupt UK Government policies, never mind the unfolding shambles that is Brexit.  Chaotic as the SNP currently is, I could not bring myself to vote Labour.

4 hours ago, Trogdor said:

This is interesting from Roger Bolton, who in my view, the BBC binned from Feedback on Radio 4 as he spoke truth to power too often and was probably considered too old (like the purge on Radio 2)

Screenshot_20230311_082934_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5fcd16b40426299d5ed8529ba6d16278.jpg

I'm not sure I accept the premise that Lineker is held to a different standard as the biggest earner and face of the BBC. 

This has ultimately been caused by Tim Davie wanting to rigorously enforce  impartiality, every DG before has put their head in the sand and the policy has been a bit of a mess. If you work on news you are contractually obliged (as I understand it) to keep your opinions to yourself. Everyone else is effectively exempt.

D'you know about Roger Bolton's documentary "Death on the Rock"? I didn't until reading the relevant Wikipedia pages earlier. It was ITV not BBC but was a case of more direct government interference than this current Lineker case. It was 1988, so Thatcher's Tories.

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

I think you're right that the current proposal itself will change little in practice if it even gets passed. 

But it's not just "liberal twitter" that they're goading. They're openly picking a fight with both the HRA and the ECHR and choosing this as the battle ground. Hopefully they don't have enough parliamentary time left to get any real changes through, but the possibility of withdrawing from the ECHR should be fairly worrying. 

They've had three full years to pull out of the ECHR and have failed to do so. Any attempt now will get tied up for the maximum possible time in the Lords too.

The penalties that will be applied to the UK for a rogue state asylum policy are too great for them to do anything. It's just red meat for their party base rather than an actual policy. 

4 hours ago, virginton said:

They've had three full years to pull out of the ECHR and have failed to do so. Any attempt now will get tied up for the maximum possible time in the Lords too.

The penalties that will be applied to the UK for a rogue state asylum policy are too great for them to do anything. It's just red meat for their party base rather than an actual policy. 

They’ve no intention whatsoever of pulling out.

Its just politicking.

On 11/03/2023 at 08:22, Suspect Device said:

Count me in as a roaster. if they could extend the lack of pundits to Sportscene it would save me pressing the fast forward in between highlights.

I never watch MotD and don't like Lineker/Wright/Shearer but I'm enjoying watching spectacle from the sidelines.

Aye, but presumably because they're bland, shite, and overpaid, and not for their political views!

Been thinking for a while that Scotland's football coverage would be significantly improved by handing the presentation/commentary/punditry over to fans of the teams. Clubs did a fine job with that during the pandemic.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

BBC have been weirdly all out on attack on Sturgeon's legacy all day on Scottish news programming, could have been produced by Douglas Ross. 

Really not that weird (or unexpected), is it?

If the Unionist organisations had half a brain between them, they'd be playing wee Nic up as the best thing since sliced Salmond, just to leave her successor(s) looking awful by comparison.

5 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Really not that weird (or unexpected), is it?

If the Unionist organisations had half a brain between them, they'd be playing wee Nic up as the best thing since sliced Salmond, just to leave her successor(s) looking awful by comparison.

I'm just a bit surprised that they went so full on attack on still the most popular politician in the UK on the day of her stepping down. I thought they'd got more subtle since 2014.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm just a bit surprised that they went so full on attack on still the most popular politician in the UK on the day of her stepping down. I thought they'd got more subtle since 2014.

But they can't say that can they? I think there's a classic bit of BBC Wolstenholme going on here - they think it's all over.