2018 CONCACAF Champions League

Torpar

A little late starting this thread but anyway. The 2018 Champions "league" started last month, though this year's version is actually a knockout cup competition rather than a league. No real surprises in the first round of 16, I think, not sure how great football is in Panama but Tauro FC beating FC Dallas on away goals is as close to an upset there was.

Second round first legs were played this week, Tauro losing 4-0 to Club America, in the other three ties the MLS teams all won again Liga MX teams, Seattle with a 1-0 over Chivas, NY Red Bulls winning 2-0 away in Tijuana and the only game I've seen any part of so far, Toronto beating Tigres 2-1.  Tigres are from the Monterrey area where the temperature is currently in the mid 20s, they played on Wednesday in Toronto where is was a balmy 2 degrees, most of their players were wearing long sleeves, gloves and fetching yellow tights. The coaches and subs all looked miserable. The pitch looked awful but cant be easy grow and maintain grass at this time of year. Hopefully Toronto FC can finish the job in Mexico and I can get a ticket to see them play Club America.

Stayed up late to watch what I thought would be Toronto desperately holding on for a 0-0 in Mexico, the first hour wasn't great viewing. A Tigres OG after 64 made it a bit more interesting, then they score at the right end 5 minutes later, that combined with Jozy Altidore looking like he was one late challenge away from a meltdown made me stick with the game.  I was slightly more confident after Giovinco did this... 

I text my brother saying I expected some chaos in the last 15 minutes and wasn't too wrong Andre-Pierre Gignac scores in the 84th minute to make it 3-4 on aggregate and I wasn't too shocked when Tigres won a penalty in the last minute of stoppage time with Gignac scored. Toronto hold out for another minute and win the tie on away goals. 

New York Red Bulls won 3-1 at home and beat Tijuana 5-1 on agg.

Tonight Tauro of Panama just need to beat Club America 5-0 and they go through, if somehow they can't pull this off then Toronto FC play America in the next round. Seattle go to Guadalajara with a 1-0 lead. 

• 3 weeks later...

Club America manager Miguel Herrera before last night's game with Toronto FC states "Our league competes with leagues in Europe, and obviously the MLS is wanting to catch the Mexican league to also compete with the leagues in Europe in the future"

Toronto go in at half time 2-1 up, the usual "gamesmanship" bollocks from latino football teams with Club America players and staff trying to put Giovinco off his game and goad him into a fight in the tunnel. Toronto police step in and according to Miguel Herrera assault three of this staff, some boy! Toronto win on the night 3-1. I'm looking forward to the return leg at the Azteca  next Wednesday where I fully expect Club America to get two penalties and Toronto to have at least one good goal chopped off.

Chivas play NY Red Bulls tonight, as much as I would laugh at there being no Mexican sides in the final, I'd like a Guadalajara v Toronto final

I seem to just be talking to myself in the thread but nevertheless.... Guadalajara drew 0-0 with NY Red Bulls last night in New Jersey to reach the final for the 3rd time and try to win the trophy for the 2nd time.  I watched the second leg of the Club America v Toronto tie. The game had all the things you would expect from a game in Latin America. The cynical fouls, the constant harassment of the ref from the home players, the fat perma-raging manager , the laser pointers every time Toronto had a throw in or goal kick. A late penalty for the home team.  Somewhat bizarrely the referee was a Ravshan Irmatov from Uzbekistan and in defence of the raging American players and manager,  he wasn't very good, denied a clear penalty for the home side. The game finished 1-1 on the night, Toronto go through to their first ever final after winning 4-1 on aggregate. 

• 2 weeks later...

On what was a pretty shite night for Toronto sports (Raptors aside) Toronto FC had the chance to  become the first ever Canadian winner of the Champions League, tough ask after losing 2-1 at home in the first league but after 90 minutes in Guadalajara, they won the tie 2-1. They could have won it in the  last few minutes but Marky Delgado blasted a golden chance over the bar. So being CONCACAF, instead of extra time it goes straight to a shootout, Chivas takers were perfect, Jonathan Osorio takes Toronto's second penalty and hits the bar, Michael Bradley takes the fourth penalty needing to score, steps up and hits a truly awful shot miles over the bar. 

Oh well maybe next year

Archived