Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

On 10/12/2023 at 08:16, Savage Henry said:

Seemingly he has offered to defer most of his salary.   I would think the commissioner’s office will want a word, because there has to be competitive balance repercussions for throwing $70m a year at one player.  

He's getting paid $2m per year, with a total of $680m deferred until the contract ends. That's absolutely ridiculous and shouldn't be allowed.

11 hours ago, Zanetti said:

He's getting paid $2m per year, with a total of $680m deferred until the contract ends. That's absolutely ridiculous and shouldn't be allowed.

I can’t imagine the commissioner’s office will allow it,  but it still counts as $46m per year for tax threshold purposes.  This is probably going to lead to CBA issues, and you’re right, it shouldn’t be allowed. 

On 12/12/2023 at 12:22, Boo Khaki said:

Next year - The New York Yankees have agreed a 1$ per year, 800 million year extension with Juan Soto.

I'm afraid the Dodgers now outstrip the 'Evil Empire' by a country mile..

Hal's sadly not like his dad the 'Boss'....prefers Cashman 'dumpster diving' and the endless profit they make..

Apparently deferred payments of over a billion into the 2030s

the Dodgers will be paying close to a billion dollars deferred in the 2030s to three guys (Ohtani, Betts, Freeman)

To think the Luxury Tax was alleged to have been brought in to stop the 'Evil Empire' accruing top players..

Yamamoto allegedly is a Dodgers fan according to some reports, how will he fit in financially...

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

He's injured all the time, but he was one of my favourites in his first spell in Seattle. Welcomed back with open arms in my book.

Yeah. I really wanted it to work in San Francisco.  Not to be. 

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Yeah. I really wanted it to work in San Francisco.  Not to be. 

You're getting Robbie Ray in exchange, who was a great pitcher before his Tommy John surgery. Hopefully he comes back from it still as good, I'd like to see him do well. My father in law is a Giants fan, so got a wee soft spot for them.

Dodgers have signed Teoscar Hernandez too now. Can't wait to see them get unceremoniously bounced in the NLDS by a team that won 87 games.

How many championships do they need to win in the next 10 years or so for all this spending to not be seen as a failure? Got to be a minimum of 3 surely?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exciting times in Baltimore with the sale of the club awaiting MLB approval now. The new ownership seems legitimately committed to winning, and would rank among the wealthiest in the league.

The first point of order really needs to be getting all these incredibly talented, young players tied down to long term contracts!