CONIFA World Cup

Girth

Also going to the final on Saturday. I was at Enfield for a Northern Cyprus game earlier in the week. The ground is plum in the middle of north London's massive Turkish and Turkish Cypriot communities who turned out in force to watch the game. Made better by the fact my colleague is one of them and know about 30 odd people in the crowd from playing in the local Turkish Sunday League. During the week, Tibet's opposition (don't know who, Ellan Vannin maybe?) pulled out, so the Sunday League got a represenative side together, and smashed them 4-0.

Not sure what to think about this tournament. Pro's: seeing minor states you'd never get to watch, Con's: shitty fake teams like Cascadia, low attendances, poor marketing.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Also going to the final on Saturday. I was at Enfield for a Northern Cyprus game earlier in the week. The ground is plum in the middle of north London's massive Turkish and Turkish Cypriot communities who turned out in force to watch the game. Made better by the fact my colleague is one of them and know about 30 odd people in the crowd from playing in the local Turkish Sunday League. During the week, Tibet's opposition (don't know who, Ellan Vannin maybe?) pulled out, so the Sunday League got a represenative side together, and smashed them 4-0.

Not sure what to think about this tournament. Pro's: seeing minor states you'd never get to watch, Con's: shitty fake teams like Cascadia, low attendances, poor marketing.

Yeah. It's a weird one...

Gimmie a shout if you spot me mate. 

The standard (largely) is very Sunday League tbf. 

None of the players I've seen would get a game for Haringey Borough. 

5 minutes ago, Girth said:

Yeah. It's a weird one...

Gimmie a shout if you spot me mate. 

The standard (largely) is very Sunday League tbf. 

None of the players I've seen would get a game for Haringey Borough. 

You have been to more games than me, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised by Northern Cyprus if they win their semi tonight. Their standard was around National League South / Southern Premier level. Their team includes a couple who have played professional in Turkey and Billy Mehmet formerly of St Mirren, Dunfermline etc.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/06/07/former-ireland-under-21-billy-mehmet-on-representing-northern-cyprus-at-the-2018-conifa-world-football-cup/

15 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

You have been to more games than me, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised by Northern Cyprus if they win their semi tonight. Their standard was around National League South / Southern Premier level. Their team includes a couple who have played professional in Turkey and Billy Mehmet formerly of St Mirren, Dunfermline etc.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/06/07/former-ireland-under-21-billy-mehmet-on-representing-northern-cyprus-at-the-2018-conifa-world-football-cup/

Padania looked good as did Tzekely Land but then the opposition were awful so hard to judge. 

Just seen Northern Cyprus are through to the final beating Padania 0-2.

I hope Tzekely Land lose - their fans seemed to be absolute thugs. 

13 minutes ago, Girth said:

Padania looked good as did Tzekely Land but then the opposition were awful so hard to judge. 

Just seen Northern Cyprus are through to the final beating Padania 0-2.

I hope Tzekely Land lose - their fans seemed to be absolute thugs. 

I think the game kicks off at 5 pm...so if true, that will be spooky.

6 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I think the game kicks off at 5 pm...so if true, that will be spooky.

You're right. Donut alert!

You backing  Northern Cyprus?

I have not seen Padnia. If, as you say, they are basically the Italy C team (or did someone else say that?) then it could be difficult for them. 0-0 after 15 minutes.

3-2 Northern Cyprus in the end.

Come on team playing Szekely Land.

13 hours ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

I see Székely Land is a Hungarian enclave within Romania. Fingers crossed they come looking for Czaba to take over as I believe this is his background also.

They used to have a great flag as well

IMG_3895.jpg.2ba1022b716c09a6bbad50d951ec2a66.jpg

How pissed off does that sun look?

The lad hasn't smiled since the Teletubby redundancies.

11 hours ago, Girth said:

Game yesterday was pretty meh tbh. I couldn’t see too much of it as the crowd was huge!

Great atmosphere mind and great to see other teams watching the final.

Enfield isn't really set up for big crowds. Apart from the (very lovely but small) pavilion/stand there's next to no elevation - in that respect it's like a lot of Scottish non league grounds. Fine if you've got a few hundred - which is what I understand is all Enfield get - but not for big(ish) crowds. I don't have much experience of visiting non league grounds in London but certainly Bromley would have been better. 

Watched the final on the internet. It wisnae great. Wanted Northern Cyprus to win but well done to Karpatalya, doing a Denmark to come in as a late replacement and go all the way.  And as the final was a repeat of a group game I went to, whichever way it went I knew I would be able to say that I saw the champs! 

11 hours ago, Hip Priest said:

Enfield isn't really set up for big crowds. Apart from the (very lovely but small) pavilion/stand there's next to no elevation - in that respect it's like a lot of Scottish non league grounds. Fine if you've got a few hundred - which is what I understand is all Enfield get - but not for big(ish) crowds. I don't have much experience of visiting non league grounds in London but certainly Bromley would have been better. 

Watched the final on the internet. It wisnae great. Wanted Northern Cyprus to win but well done to Karpatalya, doing a Denmark to come in as a late replacement and go all the way.  And as the final was a repeat of a group game I went to, whichever way it went I knew I would be able to say that I saw the champs! 

Yeah, didn't help it started pissing it down either and most of us were only rocking t shirts. 

I really like Haringey Borough's ground tbh, greats a great atmosphere...it's closer to me too!

Slough's ground is alright but it's in Slough. Read same for Bromley/Bracknell etc!

Archived