The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

30 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I think people are allowed to voice their concerns whilst at the same time still hoping to be proven wrong. 

Nobody knows for definite whether they'll be successful or not but we're allowed to voice our doubts when they come from a team who, if the league table was to be believed, were actually worse than us. Let that sink in when you actually consider how bad we were. 

Its a fans right. The signings so far cannot be seen to be absolute scoops that leave the rest of the league wondering why they couldn't have signed them first. 

Its underwhelming so far and folk say it as it is. It's allowed. 

Whilst all the while hoping that they somehow gel and take the league by storm. 

Definitely.  There is a world of difference between optimism and just blind loyalty that verges towards outright denialism..  McAllister is another punt on a young player who has lost his way at a higher level - Rose or Roscoe?  Who knows, we’ll just have to wait and see.  The other 3 have nothing in their CV to suggest they are anything other than bang average players.  

As for Hopkin, we know he didn’t do the recruitment at Livingston and save a brief spell at Bradford, his only other recruitment experience was at Morton where he earned a reputation for being clueless.  The excuse until now is that he had no budget and had no option but to sign a lot of dross that nearly relegated Morton.  But at Ayr he would have a bigger budget and could therefore raise the bar in quality - that he has gone out and signed the same dead wood he signed for Morton ought to at least raise some concerns.

5 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Morton only have so many players available man!

I'll need to ask my Dad for a loan of his old Morton scarf now, it could all have been so different if they hadn't been robbed by the referee in a 3-3 draw at cappielow when big McPherson elbowed Ian clinging on the jaw but of course nobody with a whistle or a flag noticed it.......

McCall worked with Kerr, Adams, Bell, Higgins, Boyle, ......he knew they could do a job and what they are like.
Hopkin has worked with these players before and they finished below Ayr in the league, if you concede 20 goals in 36 games but only score 15 then you are still shite, the polishing of Morton’s defensive record ignores the rest of the team and how it performed. 
The signings made in this order have been a fucking shambles, everyone was worried we signed players from a dud Morton team and he makes them the first signings all at once, if they had been staggered it wouldn’t have had the same impact. 
the club has made a complete arse of things for the last few months.

I don’t think it really matters what order we sign players in tbqhwy. Hopkin has prioritised the defence and has went out and signed 3 defenders and a make shift wing back type player.

Saying that the club has “made an arse of things” is reactionary nonsense.

I along with everyone else reserve the right to slate hopkin, slate his signings and slate the club should things all go terribly wrong next season, however doing all this before a ball is kicked is just unbelievable.

1 hour ago, AUFC 1910 said:

There was f**k all between the teams in the league last season - It’s at the other end of the park ourselves and Morton were rank rotten - not defensively.

Dundee were shite and all season their fans were calling for the manager to get sacked and they are now playing in the top flight.

Grow a set, f**k what Morton fans say, and get behind McGinty FFS - he’s one of us now.

Some of the shit on here is embarrassing.

Who would want to come and play for us after a glint of what some of our support is like.

If he turns out a dud, either he’ll get punted or hoppy will, but give them a fucking chance - it’s still May FFS!!!!!

Best post of the day.....👏👏

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Is he worse than Roscoe? Or baird? Probably not probably on an even keel with them. Hopefully the partnership is fjortoff and muirhead and baird and mcginty on the bench. That is not bad depth. The Mcallister guy sounds promising and salkeld is a utility player that brings a lot of passion something we were severely lacking last year.

im not unhappy with the signing and will give them time and see what they can do for us before judging

That doesn’t make a lot of sense.  You’re saying McGinty is at least as bad as Baird and Roscoe, who we know were pretty bad.   We’re supposed to be raising the bar here.

35 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Read the comment , I never said every player , look back at comments last couple of close seasons and you get a picture , 

I think you should read your comment - “Practically every player over the years”.

If you’re going to make wild unsubstantiated sweeping statements, be prepared to stick to them and not backtrack.

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He won’t. He’s just wildly incompetent. Here he is attempting to deal with a straightforward long ball. 

image.gif.3e3fa8feb54ae870d7fec5cc9007fa47.gif

Won the header, killed the danger. 

31 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think it really matters what order we sign players in tbqhwy. Hopkin has prioritised the defence and has went out and signed 3 defenders and a make shift wing back type player.

Saying that the club has “made an arse of things” is reactionary nonsense.

The club propaganda for the last 6 months has been woeful, Black and White TV has been a shambles an no one knows what is happening with it, if they are going to put it behind a paywall when it features poor quality video shot on an SD phone, it will fail. 

Players joining/leaving the club, The player tweets it, the other club tweets it, we have to wait a few hours before there is a reaction from the club.

The end of last season, no reaction from the club on the abysmal form until the chairman has a near breakdown and posts his thoughts on his own twitter. 

To know the feeling from the fans about Hopkin and his determination to replicate the failed project he had at Morton, to know the fans feelings about him signing the same players that failed him at Morton and to do them all at once was a PR masterstroke in a week they are supposed to be announcing season ticket renewals. There must be 20 new pages of people complaining about this on PNB today alone and you think the club hasn't made an arse of things?

33 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I think you should read your comment - “Practically every player over the years”.

If you’re going to make wild unsubstantiated sweeping statements, be prepared to stick to them and not backtrack.

How did I back track , I said practically and stuck to that , unsubstantiated? Look at last pre season and previous and majority have been dismissed before kicking a ball , currently this close season 50% of  new signings and more than that of retained players are being criticised , that’s my opinion you can have yours as it’s obvious we agree to disagree, , hope most are proved wrong , if they don’t perform for us they will then deserve any criticism they get 

Edited by Finlay21

I'm actually very happy about things so far and so are the guys I go to the games with, we're plying our trade in the second tier (not the third where we've been quite regularly over the years), the club has virtually no debt, we are building a social club and new offices, we've just signed a potential "game changing" link up with EPL Burnley, we have a new management team who are being given the funds to mould the team from virtually scratch the way they want and we have an ambitious board who are putting in their own cash, they're also fans of the club and they're also very ambitious.

It may work and it may not, nothing is a given, however as an Ayr United supporter of over 35 years these times are among the best I've seen as a fan so i'm certainly not going to start writing the whole lot off before a ball has even been kicked !!!

Nearly forgot, and our County rivals are back down in the same league as us !!!

Edited by WATTOO