The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

24 minutes ago, rgreig said:

Adeloye definitely is getting fitter and improving. Maxwell was excellent, it's just his decision making that needs to improve a bit and I guess that's why he is on loan with us.

Muirhead was a good captain, very vocal. Although he only came on for a short period at the end, I thought McAllister was very good and I hope he gets more game time starting next week.

The only real negative for me was Afolabi who looked unfit. If we do manage to bring in another striker I can't see Afolabi getting much game time unless his fitness improves significantly.

I thought tactically we were good, and our high press worked well (until the sending off obviously). I don't think in the second half our keeper had anything to do at all until the penalty. Overall Hopkin has bought quite a lot of goodwill from the fans from that performance - if we do that in the league we will pick up a lot of points. Very different style and approach compared with McCall which will see us pick a lot more points in Jan/Feb than a McCall team ever did.

Agree with all of this. 👍

Afolabi can't possibly fit, if he is he's certainly not doing enough on the park to get a start. He was pretty anonymous again. 

20 minutes ago, North British said:

Right Henry it’s way past your bed time ! Jammies on , that’s the laddie ...

You two just need to admit you love one another really and get a room. The pent up tension is too much for the thread.

He was a regular at Ayr for years. He watched Ayr with “Rangers leanings” 
I think the, he hates Ayr narrative comes from the fact he always scored against us. 

He was very complimentary about the club and the ground today.

Stopped reading at “Rangers leanings”.

Not an Ayr fan in that case.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Stopped reading at “Rangers leanings”.

Not an Ayr fan in that case.

I remember a time when the Rangers score used to get a small cheer at half time at Somerset.

thankfully a thing of the past. 

The Vally is full of junior fans who are junior fans>Ayr/Kilmarnock fans>old firm fans

Hopefully after today Hopkin accepts 4-4-2 is the way forward. It may be simple but it’s far more effective than us playing 3 or 5 at the back and them passing the ball between them before hitting it long.

Despite what people think, for me Muirhead is more important in that CM role and, unless we sign a similar physical presence like a Jamie Adams type, I’d be leaving him in midfield for the season. Otherwise our midfield will be too soft and easy to play through.

As for Adeloye he might not be the typical target man but his hold up play is what’s impressed me in terms of being able to win fouls, turn defenders and link up with others. Not sure many defenders will enjoy playing against him this season.

Only slight criticisms from today would be not getting fresh legs on with 15 of the 90 left and that Afolabi doesn’t look like he’ll be the solution to our striker problems. Also odd that with 10 mins left we brought on Chalmers and Miller but neither were in the first 5 takers. Could be wrong but I imagine O’Connor would have put his hand up to take one if he’d been brought on instead.

33 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I remember a time when the Rangers score used to get a small cheer at half time at Somerset.

thankfully a thing of the past. 

The Vally is full of junior fans who are junior fans>Ayr/Kilmarnock fans>old firm fans

There was also a time when the crowds were slightly smaller and less atmosphere as the fans were away at the old firm game 

My recollection is that Dodds has had a problem with Ayr since some of the idiots in our crowd taunted him about his sister when she died in a car accident in the mid/late 90s.

A strange day. Walking along SR before kick off and a stray ball flies over and smashes the guys window screen who was driving past. Then a bird shat on me on the NT. Didnt even see the pen incident and had no idea Baird was sent off until I was back at the car 😑 

What was with the pitch invasion? Same with the lassie who went on after their 1st goal. Think she must have been filming it for social media the length of time she was allowed on the pitch 🙄 also had an obnoxious Dundee Utd fan in front of me.on the way to the game who took great pleasure in saying what a dump Somerset is. On a par with the OF and Killie for bell end supporters 

Much better performance though and the best team lost.

7 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

I was more annoyed at Dodds getting a good scouting session in today more than anything else.

Rob McClean - “Your Inverness play Ayr next week of course Billy?” 
Billy Dodds - “that’s why I’m here (at the license fee payers expense) I mean, as well as doing my bit for the BBC”

Derek Ferguson - “is that why you’ve been as quiet? You’ve been taking notes?” 

Billy Dodds” NO!NO! “

1 minute ago, Iain said:

My recollection is that Dodds has had a problem with Ayr since some of the idiots in our crowd taunted him about his sister when she died in a car accident in the mid/late 90s.

They also slagged him when his estranged father in-law was jailed. None of his wife’s family had spoken to him for years before he was done

19 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Rob McClean - “Your Inverness play Ayr next week of course Billy?” 

Billy Dodds - “that’s why I’m here (at the license fee payers expense) I mean, as well as doing my bit for the BBC”

Derek Ferguson - “is that why you’ve been as quiet? You’ve been taking notes?” 

Billy Dodds” NO!NO! “

I hope this happened 🙈

50 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Hopefully after today Hopkin accepts 4-4-2 is the way forward. It may be simple but it’s far more effective than us playing 3 or 5 at the back and them passing the ball between them before hitting it long.

Despite what people think, for me Muirhead is more important in that CM role and, unless we sign a similar physical presence like a Jamie Adams type, I’d be leaving him in midfield for the season. Otherwise our midfield will be too soft and easy to play through.

As for Adeloye he might not be the typical target man but his hold up play is what’s impressed me in terms of being able to win fouls, turn defenders and link up with others. Not sure many defenders will enjoy playing against him this season.

Only slight criticisms from today would be not getting fresh legs on with 15 of the 90 left and that Afolabi doesn’t look like he’ll be the solution to our striker problems. Also odd that with 10 mins left we brought on Chalmers and Miller but neither were in the first 5 takers. Could be wrong but I imagine O’Connor would have put his hand up to take one if he’d been brought on instead.

That’s all fair enough but we didn’t play 4-4-2 today it was definitely 4-4-1-1 with Adeloye left on his own and McKenzie trying to help out when he could. 

Lots of positives today, central midfielder and a striker (given how poor Afolabi has looked) and we should be looking decent - proof is taking this into the league though. That press, and energy is required on a weekly basis. 

McAdams: I was impressed, a couple of very good saves and came for a couple of crosses well too. 

Houston: Good performance again, looking at McAllister’s cameo, it could be an interesting battle for that position. 

Baird: Solid, don’t recall anyone getting the better of him. 

Fjortoft: An absolute rock - far better in the centre as opposed to right of three centre backs. 

Reading: Excellent, hopefully putting his Killie performance behind him. Decent going forward at times, and did well defensively. 

Maxwell: If he adds that tiny bit of quality at the top end of the pitch he will be a fantastic player. His driving runs, and some of his little touches to go by players are a joy to watch. Some shift too. 

Hewitt: An absolutely ridiculous work rate - helped create at times too. 

Muirhead: Exactly what you expect, and generally always get from him. 

Murdoch: Looked like his old self - battled away, pressed and calm on the ball. 

McKenzie: Another brilliant shift, unlucky not to score and worked well with Tomi in the second half. It is harsh after today, but I’m not sure he’s a starter every week yet. 

Adeloye: Scored, again. He was fantastic in the second half, caused Dundee United all sorts of problems and linked up well. 

As for the rest, most were fine - Afolabi was genuinely woeful though. One thing I noticed immediately with McAllister was that he was extremely vocal, and was organising everyone around him. He looks like the type of player we’ll like.