The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Our only defeat so far this season although I doubt I’ll be saying that tomorrow night (or tonight I supppse).

f**k off Dindeleux 

8 hours ago, Death in Vegas said:

Roy Provan is a total disgrace. Organising the clubs security and letting a support over 2000 without police being present. A 2 Bob security mob trying to keep things under control. Give yerself a shake.

It was all a bit bizarre. Not quite as bad stewarding as when we got pumped by Queens in Dumfries and our moroculous fan managed to get on the park as Dobbie took the penalty. At least that lass today could run. 

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

The weird thing is, you'd think that being woeful on a loan spell at Ayr United would do bad things for a player's career, but there's every chance that he'll do absolutely nothing at Somerset, run up sand dunes all summer and end up in the Celtic first team. Such is the way of Ayr duds.

Anyway, on random things to discuss: the team obviously doesn't have a penalties system worked out and that's an easy thing to address. And if yesterday's performance is indicative of how the Scottish Cup is going to be approached then it would be good to sort that out now.

Aye, our young loan duds seem to then give themselves a shake after leaving and do better. I genuinely hope it's fitness, otherwise we should send him back. 

Penalties is always a bit of a lottery, that Dundee United keeper is a unit though. If he goes the right way he's going to save it. Dunno what his saving record is like but expect its pretty good.

Edited by Trogdor

What a brilliant team performance Hopkin had all his guys switched on, and the two youngsters put in a superb shift, have to say I thought they weren’t ready for this yet, yesterday proved that they can handle it, bodes well for the future.

we were definitely cheated by a poor refereeing decision haven’t seen the highlights but there was nothing in that not a single Dundee player shouted for it really poor. Had a retired pro ref beside me and he thought he was pointing for a bye kick couldn’t believe it throughout the game he was warning all the Ayr players for time wasting which they weren’t, def a homer for the premier league should be ashamed of himself after that.

Siegrist was brilliant for them  Two worldly saves and man of the match that tells you everything.

Only negative was the boy Afolabi regardless of his penalty looks a really poor signing on loan really Unfit and a million miles away from Celtic class can’t see him lasting beyond January
Given  time I’m sure Hopkin is gonna do all right big test next Saturday.

5 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Are the highlights stopping early for anyone else? They were unusually long (12 mins) but on B&W TV they are stopping around 8 mins.

Yip. Stops just after Dundee Utd hit an effort over the bar early in extra time.

Hopkin beginning to grow on me, fantastic performance yesterday and Adeloye beginning to look a find, 3 goals in 4 games is impressive start. Said from the start Maxwell and Reading have to both play on that left hand side and it proved yesterday because they were brilliant.

If we can play like that every week we've got an outside chance of top 4.

Onwards and upwards Hoppy!!!!

15 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Our only defeat so far this season although I doubt I’ll be saying that tomorrow night (or tonight I supppse).

Well predicted, you smelly no-mark - now f**k off back to your own boring forum

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

So Zanatta and Walsh both done more in these first few weeks than they managed in the whole of last season.

Pretty predictable.

Shows you what can happen when they have a competent manager. 

That’s twice that Baird has been shafted by a poor decision when in reality he’s actually been okay so far this season. Idk if I’d have him ahead of Fjortoft if Muirhead moves back into midfield but hopefully he’s a decent option to have this season.

19 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Lots of positives today, central midfielder and a striker (given how poor Afolabi has looked) and we should be looking decent - proof is taking this into the league though. That press, and energy is required on a weekly basis. 

McAdams: I was impressed, a couple of very good saves and came for a couple of crosses well too. 

Houston: Good performance again, looking at McAllister’s cameo, it could be an interesting battle for that position. 

Baird: Solid, don’t recall anyone getting the better of him. 

Fjortoft: An absolute rock - far better in the centre as opposed to right of three centre backs. 

Reading: Excellent, hopefully putting his Killie performance behind him. Decent going forward at times, and did well defensively. 

Maxwell: If he adds that tiny bit of quality at the top end of the pitch he will be a fantastic player. His driving runs, and some of his little touches to go by players are a joy to watch. Some shift too. 

Hewitt: An absolutely ridiculous work rate - helped create at times too. 

Muirhead: Exactly what you expect, and generally always get from him. 

Murdoch: Looked like his old self - battled away, pressed and calm on the ball. 

McKenzie: Another brilliant shift, unlucky not to score and worked well with Tomi in the second half. It is harsh after today, but I’m not sure he’s a starter every week yet. 

Adeloye: Scored, again. He was fantastic in the second half, caused Dundee United all sorts of problems and linked up well. 

As for the rest, most were fine - Afolabi was genuinely woeful though. One thing I noticed immediately with McAllister was that he was extremely vocal, and was organising everyone around him. He looks like the type of player we’ll like. 

Pretty much all of this for me.

I'd also add that our players all looked much fitter and the collective workrate for 120 mins (last 45 with 10 men) was excellent.

I could be wrong, but this looks like a group who are more than capable of going to tough away grounds such as Inverness and grinding out results.

As for Adeloye, thought he looked top class yesterday and honestly can't believe that some are questioning his ability or work rate. Afolabi on the other hand just doesn't seem to have anything, short of pace, not strong enough on the ball and a pretty poor touch coupled with not looking 100% committed, however that's my only negative from yesterday as a great team performance despite being ejected from the competition.