The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Playing a slow, easily turned, haddy of a centre back at full back instead of a young natural full back, purely because you value the “experience” of the former, must be one of the biggest cliches from the Scottish football managerial dinosaur playbook.

Ricky sbragia would approve of this.

7 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Total heads gone from some here when in reality we're likely to finish between 6th and 9th which is what most would expect / even hope for.

The amazing Partick with the amazing McCall are just off a humping from Arbroath who we ourselves just managed a 2-2 draw after being 2-0 down and had McKenzie taken his chance we would have actually won. However Hopkin is branded a charlatan / tosser / clueless etc but McCall is being painted as some sort of messiah 🤣. This is the same McCall and pretty much same Partick side who were relegated from this league two seasons back, so what happened then ???

Yes, our recent tactics and play haven't been great but there's quite a few on here who seem to believe that our team / squad / Manager are all miles behind Morton, Queens, Dunfermline, Arbroath, Raith, Partick etc etc when in reality that's just complete and utter nonsense, still, if you moan about something often enough, perhaps it will come true.......

I don't mean this a criticism, more me just looking for optimism.  What games between now and say, Christmas do you actually THINK we will win?  I can't see a single one.  I'm looking at home games.v Morton for example as 'winnable' but it depends on a defence being rock solid under pressure and taking any chance we make, like i felt for the Arbroath game where we did neither and actually scraped a draw.  

Next game for example - Dunfermline at home.  We will have 1 up front in Adeloye and will shell it at him all day hoping he does something, meanwhile hoping Todorov is somehow bad enough that he can't lose Baird or McGinty.    Doesn't seem promising....and the Pars have been shite so far 

11 hours ago, Hursty said:

I don't mean this a criticism, more me just looking for optimism.  What games between now and say, Christmas do you actually THINK we will win?  I can't see a single one.  I'm looking at home games.v Morton for example as 'winnable' but it depends on a defence being rock solid under pressure and taking any chance we make, like i felt for the Arbroath game where we did neither and actually scraped a draw.  

Next game for example - Dunfermline at home.  We will have 1 up front in Adeloye and will shell it at him all day hoping he does something, meanwhile hoping Todorov is somehow bad enough that he can't lose Baird or McGinty.    Doesn't seem promising....and the Pars have been shite so far 

It's entirely possible that we 'Brechin' this season. 

19 hours ago, WATTOO said:

This is pretty much same Partick side who were relegated from this league two seasons back, so what happened then ???

This is, objectively, absolute nonsense. Of our current squad, only two actually played regularly in the relegation season and a few others were bit part players and/or joined in January before lockdown. 

100% get the covid situation is out of the club/Hopkins hands but how did we get to situation almost 18 month's down the line that we have not replaced either Kerr or Doc in midfield, surely a central midfielder in the mold of them would have been our priority signing along with a striker (granted he got one) instead of putting the old boys club from Morton back together, I have no faith we will get a midfielder in at this point now and more likely we sign another left back or central defender.

On 27/08/2021 at 09:49, Finlay21 said:

The only manager in about the last 10 years who attended any academy games and some training sessions was Kerr as it’s was part of his contract 

That is absolutely scandalous. A club of our size and with our geographical location should be incorporating Academy training and games as close as possible to the first team as possible. It provides a beneficial relationship for everybody and shows talented young players and their parents that everyone is pulling in the same direction. 

It's not just about the boys like Crawford, Forrest or anybody else that makes the leap to the first team. There'll be more that don't make it and as w@nky as it may sound we're actually producing young adults first and footballers second. 

For our first team manager not to be fully aware first hand with his own eyes as to what we have coming through beggars belief. Amazingly that doesn't seem to just be on Hopkin either. 

I was going to suggest that our academy teams and first team should be playing to roughly the same formation and style but scrap that idea, that would be cruel on the kids coming through. 

Everything seems so disjointed in and around the club at the moment, nothing seems very upbeat, in sync or in harmony. 

Its great having projects like the hub and possible ground development but the relationship with the Academy is absolutely crucial to us going forward, or at least it should be. It just cannot be ignored which is what seems to be happening for the most part. 

Managers failing their club academies would do well to remember that they themselves were once reliant on coming through at youth level back in the day. If they didn't have the required standards and relationships in these clubs and teams up and down the country, they might not have made it professionally and in turn might not be where they are today. 

Far too short sighted in their approach which is another argument for another day. 

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Surely we’re going to sign at least one centre mid before Tuesday? We can’t go into the season without another one, can we? 

It’s looking less and less likely isn’t it...

Not forgetting that we are apparently also still looking for a striker! 

If we don’t get these players in then it really is a sign of the utter clown car approach and planning since Hopkin has came in. 

13 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

That is absolutely scandalous.

A lot was made by McCall when he signed 6 players from the academy in 2017. McCowan, Murphy, Waite, Hilton, Faulds and Avci. I think only Hilton is the only other still playing senior football. 

Looks like McCall could have signed them without knowing anything about them. 

Robbie Crawford not in the Motherwell squad again today, you imagine he might be one who is moved on. I don’t think Partick need anymore midfielders either...
No idea how much truth in it but it was mentioned on the SRE Facebook page during the week he knocked back coming back on loan due to the abuse he got from a section of the fans when he was here before probably take it with a bucket of salt though.