The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m fine with that until the end of the season. Stay up, get to the summer and reassess our options. There really won’t be much between him and the other free agent managers out there.

anything below 8th and you have to think it's is.

October has just begun and the height of our ambitions appears to be staying up and then seeing what is happening next season.  You can absolutely guarantee that pre season next year will be just as shambolic as this one with the lack of recruitment, and we’ll repeat this cycle again. 

As long as we aren’t in the bottom two it’ll be Duffy next season, it’s thoroughly depressing. If this is the extent of our ambitions I think I’ll be picking and choosing games next season. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Well, at any other time, if a caretaker won 3/4 games and improved the playing style, they would be a certainty for the job.

he’s here, he’s in place and we have to get on with it regardless. We know the limitations of the squad but also the capability. Criticism of Duffy should be limited to what he’s capable of changing and how the team performs as a result.

if he turns out to be mince, or uninspiring then we and he’ll know that he’s away in June. 

I’m fairly relaxed about the situation now. It can’t be as bad as Hopkin or Kerr. For the last 3 weeks I have looked forward to match days. I am a realist though and I expect his first defeat will be in the coming weeks. But at least we will be beaten because the other team was better or an individual made a mistake, rather than god awful tactics

End of the season is fine, so long as it is end of the season with a long term appointment announced either before or close to the end of the season. Have no issue with the job Duffy has done so far with us, but his recruitment elsewhere is worrying. Given we have a squad that will need a total overhaul in in the Summer I would be concerned if Duffy was extended in the managerial role. 

We need to do a bit of expectation management here, by no means am I not wanting us to be ambitious. But, our squad is pretty unbalanced to the point a couple of injuries could be crippling in certain areas of the park that are already patchwork. Anything between P5-8 would be a good season given how it has started at this point.

Happy to give Duffy the benefit of the doubt until the end of the January window, if he makes no attempt at that point to rebalance then alarm bells should absolutely be ringing. So far he's miles ahead of Hopkin in terms of results, even when caveated. 

26 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

End of the season is fine, so long as it is end of the season with a long term appointment announced either before or close to the end of the season. Have no issue with the job Duffy has done so far with us, but his recruitment elsewhere is worrying. Given we have a squad that will need a total overhaul in in the Summer I would be concerned if Duffy was extended in the managerial role. 

We need to do a bit of expectation management here, by no means am I not wanting us to be ambitious. But, our squad is pretty unbalanced to the point a couple of injuries could be crippling in certain areas of the park that are already patchwork. Anything between P5-8 would be a good season given how it has started at this point.

Happy to give Duffy the benefit of the doubt until the end of the January window, if he makes no attempt at that point to rebalance then alarm bells should absolutely be ringing. So far he's miles ahead of Hopkin in terms of results, even when caveated. 

Completely agree with all of this - as much as I believe he is our long term appointment (without there being a disaster) the proof of that is yet to come. January will be a good time to evaluate some of his recruitment. 

Fully expect us to go on a losing run and be pumped from Killie now though.

Edited by No_Problemo

Unless there are Roberts style clauses in his contract, there will be no obligation to keep him beyond the end of the season if things don’t work out. 
if we finish in or just outside the play-offs for promotion and there is a feeling he can improve next season then he deserves to be kept on next year.

if we struggle for a period and end up 7-8th then it is maybe better if we go with someone new. 9-10th then he’ll be gone regardless. 

38 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

anything below 8th and you have to think it's is.

Anything above 8th surely has to be seen as a decent season I'd have thought ?

Other than Arbroath who are excelling, then what do people really expect us to be doing with our size of club, our support and our wage bill ?

As a supporter I want us to be as successful as possible and I always hope that this season will be our season as it were, however I really do think a sense of reality is required by some of us.

Now, if we had a budget such as Dunfermline's and were performing as they were, then I'd rightly be very annoyed, however I honestly don't think we can complain about our current situation given all the circumstances.

54 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

I'm not happy with this appointment. To me, it screams that Smith hasn't got a clue. As long as we're not Relegated, I guess he'd do a job till the end of the season. I'd have waited till after the Patrick game minimum.

I'd say the exact opposite, it appears to me that Smith wants a steady and reliable guy at the helm while he tries to build the club up from a solid infrastructure perspective.

Now, had he bagged Duffy and brought in that Boxer punter or some other unproven chancer, then Yes I would have totally agreed.

36 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Well, at any other time, if a caretaker won 3/4 games and improved the playing style, they would be a certainty for the job.

he’s here, he’s in place and we have to get on with it regardless. We know the limitations of the squad but also the capability. Criticism of Duffy should be limited to what he’s capable of changing and how the team performs as a result.

if he turns out to be mince, or uninspiring then we and he’ll know that he’s away in June. 

I’m fairly relaxed about the situation now. It can’t be as bad as Hopkin or Kerr. For the last 3 weeks I have looked forward to match days. I am a realist though and I expect his first defeat will be in the coming weeks. But at least we will be beaten because the other team was better or an individual made a mistake, rather than god awful tactics

Excellent post.

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Anything above 8th surely has to be seen as a decent season I'd have thought ?

Other than Arbroath who are excelling, then what do people really expect us to be doing with our size of club, our support and our wage bill ?

As a supporter I want us to be as successful as possible and I always hope that this season will be our season as it were, however I really do think a sense of reality is required by some of us.

Now, if we had a budget such as Dunfermline's and were performing as they were, then I'd rightly be very annoyed, however I honestly don't think we can complain about our current situation given all the circumstances.

Purely based on budget we should be expecting to compete with QOS, Raith, Arbroath, Hamilton and Morton, so no seventh isn’t a decent season. 

There is no reality required to expect better than seventh, surely!