The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

If we keep Maxwell i think 3 would be adequate, a central midfielder, winger and striker or defender. If we're keeping Afalobi we'll probably run with Adeloye, Moff, McKenzie and Afalobi as strikers for the rest of the season meaning it'll be a defender we're looking at, honestly can't see us signing a CB though unless we're offloading 1 of the 4 CB's we already have

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Pretty predictable all this so far. Although I'm more excited by the goings than the incomings so maybe Voice should have tweeted about that.

Aye they're all staying aren't they.

Aye, the new Head Coach will want to give everyone a chance. Even though it's patently obvious that Salked, McGinty & McAllister are nowhere near the level required. Fjortoft has only just avoided going into this group but if I had the chance I'd empty him as well. I wouldn't stop there tbf. 

Just now, Trogdor said:

Aye, the new Head Coach will want to give everyone a chance. Even though it's patently obvious that Salked, McGinty & McAllister are nowhere near the level required. Fjortoft has only just avoided going into this group but if I had the chance I'd empty him as well. I wouldn't stop there tbf. 

The issue is it’s extremely hard to punt players in the January window without taking a hit and paying them off , if we get 3/4 in they might see no future and rather than sitting in stand will go to any level to get a game unless they are just money driven 

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Thing about McGinty and Salkeld is one is probably a good personality in the changing room and the other has a good work ethic, which trumps there actual ability on the pitch, which makes some managers see them as an asset. Only explanation I can think of as to why they keep failing upwards.

Just now, Trogdor said:

@Finlay21 Robbo, any news on how tickets for Saturday will be available? Is it a ballot or fastest finger first like Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Details should be released later today / first think tomorrow as staff just back today , wouldn’t think it would be a ballot based on our last game process , 

Just now, UpInTheAyr said:

Thing about McGinty and Salkeld is one is probably a good personality in the changing room and the other has a good work ethic, which trumps there actual ability on the pitch, which makes some managers see them as an asset. Only explanation I can think of as to why they keep failing upwards.

Salkeld’s work ethic is absolutely pointless as well - he rarely wins the ball back or intercepts when he presses, he is hopeless positionally and doesn’t actually offer anything in a defensive sense either. 

1 minute ago, Finlay21 said:

The issue is it’s extremely hard to punt players in the January window without taking a hit and paying them off , if we get 3/4 in they might see no future and rather than sitting in stand will go to any level to get a game unless they are just money driven 

Aye, I get that. If they are to go I wouldn't be in favour of paying them off. That should really be a last resort. We also need another club to want them and then either sign them or pay a contribution to their wage through a loan. I'm hoping we can get shot of one or two. If not I'll need to wait till the summer to bid them farewell.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

There could be something in that. They are just so limited on the pitch I'm surprised they are still playing at this level.

2 minutes ago, Iain said:

2/3 new signings makes it sound like they have only self-scouted the Raith game and think the squad is basically fine.

Some of the players will certainly improve now that they are not playing under extreme negative tactics and with a positive thinking head coach actually encouraging them now that they are enjoying training sessions  and seem to be more of a group etc , Raith game showed that 

Salkeld takes the ball in, controls it and then sprints 5 meters in any direction, Stops and makes the easiest pass he can. 

He can close down players to win the ball back, Which is odd because the way Duffy and Hopkin played, we conceded possession and defended deep without pressing the defence to win the ball back. 

Think some folk forget that unfortunately we can't afford to just take the hit by paying players off this month by giving them their remaining 5 months salary.

Have to remember that for the last 2 years almost now Covid has meant that i'm pretty certain we'll have been making losses every month so to add to that burden would be bad. 

Just now all we can do is do some stitching up of the squad to improve and then in the summer hopefully the full reconstructive surgery can happen, good thing with getting 2/3 in this month it means that at least the worst players will hopefully spend a lot of the 2nd part of the season on the bench

It is Absoulotely  crucial that we do everything we can this season to avoid relegation. If we are relegated then there is no guarantee we’ll bounce straight back up. League 1 will be very strong with potentially QP, Falkirk, Kelty, Airdrie etc all in it. 

Smith/Mathie really need to speculate to accumulate in this window and ask themselves, can we afford to be relegated. 

I do appreciate how difficult it is in January, and can accept three signings - if they are good ones who will substantially improve the starting side. It would need to be a central midfielder, centre half and someone similar to Bradley that can play as a ten or out wide. 

Two players wouldn’t be enough, it absolutely has to be three.