The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 hours ago, Hursty said:

Superb then.  The fact nobody around me including myself had a clue why it happened is a bit disappointing then but absolutely applaud the effort. 

We thought Dundee had requested it to show their support of Argentina winning the World cup due to their former classy Argentinian players that they had on their books.

12 hours ago, diege said:

I tweeted raging walking down McCall's avenue for the train tonight, but then realised, we're seriously punching above our weight

Outwith our best starting 11 we are slim

For every Akinyemi, Dempsey, McInroy, Adeloye we get a Bangala, Gondoh, JML, Young

We've got ourselve in a position of being safe, which in itself is a massive step forward from Kerr & Hopkin where we were struggling

I'll always have hope, but any talk of promotion is delusional. Making the playoffs is an achievement

Need to try move some certain players on in January if possible and get ourselves some reinforcements in defence

I've been worried Mullin will disappear, and Chalmers is our most creative players, we need to keep a hold of both.

Cappielow next, big game

Look at Inverness with key players injured and look at Thistle losing 6 in a row with key players injured, well unfortunately we're now in that boat with unarguably 3 of our 6 best players in Musonda, Kirk and Mullin missing then we're going to struggle.

Add to that guys like Houston and O'Connor who while not world beaters are still better than their current replacements. It's unfortunate but teams at our level simply can't have 2 classy operators for every position unless they want to find themselves very quickly hitting serious financial problems.

Morton have been quite fortunate so far, but they have a much smaller squad than ourselves and sooner or later they're very likely to have this issue also and same goes for Queens Park.

That said, it's obvious that Bangala is nowhere near good enough and McAllister is out of his depth as a starter at this level. JML clearly has ability as he showed us in the first 4 or 5 games but since then he's been hopeless and flatly refused to try and beat a man which makes him a waste of space also, so Yes, right now we do have problems.

As for last night, we were completely shocking from start to finish and as Bullen said looked a yard off it, both physically and mentally. McGinty and possibly Dipo were the only 2 that I'd give passmarks to but if there has been a virus going through the squad then perhaps this would account for this, but whatever, it simply wasn't good enough.

I do think we need a sense of perspective as up until the past couple of weeks the majority of the squad have played their part (including the much maligned Ashford) and have shown themselves to be good enough to beat anyone in this league so I don't think we should all be chucking the towel in just yet.....

To be quite honest, I'm alright with nights like last night happening. Did I want us to lose and go down in the manner we did, not exactly, but we've been teetering on the edge for a number weeks and got away with it and last night was just one too many. The knee jerk reaction is likely a reflection of how expectations have done a 180 since the start of the season. That's probably fair enough enough imo when so much off the park has improved to the degree it has in such a short space of time together with how the team has done on the park.

Anyway it gives management a chance to reflect and appraise where we truly are and what they want to do in January, if they didn't know already. Plenty to be positive about.  

The big sickener for me is Bullen knows the boys not up to it but plays him. We had other players who could have played right back Ashford,McKenzie,Smith and even Mitchell Lawson are all midfielders and  can’t cut it in the middle of the park so it’s time to try them elsewhere before they are moved on and who knows we might find there position going forward. I’m hoping  we recall the boy Hewitt who can play there no problem.

Mitchell Lawson has shown nothing but negativity apart from a couple of games for me he is playing like he wants back south and if so we should grant it in January.

Ashford will never make a midfielder or a forward works hard bot not got it for that position time to try elsewhere poss a full back

Mckenzie. Ditto as above

Smith my biggest disappointment thought we had one here same as above needs tried elsewhere before he departs to the juniors like the rest.

Young has no chance of making it at Villa again a tryer but not got it

Ecrepont sorry but I can’t see him kicking on needs to be farmed out again.

Bryden a big raw runner long way off from finished article again needs to go on loan

replace most of the above in January or we can kiss goodbye to the top four.

8 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Bryden a big raw runner long way off from finished article again needs to go on loan

Sort of disagree with these three.

Ashford, yes, works hard with zero finish and Ayr could do better. McKenzie does okay in small doses, came through from youth. Still think O'Connor is better than both and not used when available.

Bryden was more or less thrown into the first team when we had nobody else in that position, so in fairness, it's still early days and I think he's done as well as could be expected. Not the finished article but only 18 and does well for that.

Ecrepont has done well whenever I've seen him, shipping him out on loan would just seriously demoralise him, debating whether he's better/as good as reading, as Ecrepont can cross a ball.

Young might not make it at Aston Villa but he tries, gives the opposition keepers a scare, which is never a bad thing. I think he would be better suited to an attacking midfielder role. Could sign him like we did Dempsey at the end of the loan 🤔

Still really annoyed with last night performance. It would have been good to be top for Christmas, but this season has been better than most were expecting. Hopefully we can strengthen in January and get the injured players  back on the pitch. With all that said Merry Christmas to you all!

Edited by Thereisalight..

4 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

This is what I think we need, I’m very aware that we won’t get all of this - in order of priority:

Full back: If Houston is injured long term then a RB is an absolute essential priority. If he is back soon then it has to be a LB. Houston has been miles in front of Reading this season - though ideally you are replacing both. 

CM: We can’t run with only Murdoch and Dempsey in there. 

ACM OR ST (I would like to see us be able to control games a little better at times, but if Bullen wants to continue with two up front then it would be a second striker signing as opposed to an attacking central midfielder)

CB: Again depending on the injuries of Kirk and Musonda. 

After being happy with McKenzie’s progress and wanting him to regain the second striker slot I have been really disappointed with his last two performances. Brad Young has fallen off a cliff performance wise, absolutely hoaching last night. 

It would be good to get Bryden on loan to league two and Smith to league one - they need more than odd minutes and it’ll show us what they really have about them getting regular game time. If we want to make room in the budget it would be one of Ashford or Young to go as we have plenty in those positions. Of course, Bangala too - I would hope he isn’t being paid very much. 

To be fair to him, McAllister at only 21 has shown there is some potential there as a centre half. 

Absolutely spot on for me 👏👏👏

41 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

The big sickener for me is Bullen knows the boys not up to it but plays him. We had other players who could have played right back Ashford,McKenzie,Smith and even Mitchell Lawson are all midfielders and  can’t cut it in the middle of the park so it’s time to try them elsewhere before they are moved on and who knows we might find there position going forward. I’m hoping  we recall the boy Hewitt who can play there no problem.

Mitchell Lawson has shown nothing but negativity apart from a couple of games for me he is playing like he wants back south and if so we should grant it in January.

Ashford will never make a midfielder or a forward works hard bot not got it for that position time to try elsewhere poss a full back

Mckenzie. Ditto as above

Smith my biggest disappointment thought we had one here same as above needs tried elsewhere before he departs to the juniors like the rest.

replace most of the above in January or we can kiss goodbye to the top four.

Agree with all of this apart from Ecrepont. Can get forward .probably the best crosser of a ball we have .one hard game last week when the week before he was bullens motm .

21 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Still really annoyed with last night performance. It would have been good to be top for Christmas, but this season has been better than most were expecting. Hopefully we cant strengthen in January and get the injured players  back on the pitch. With all that said Merry Christmas to you all!

Both teams looked very poor last night but the difference was one team found a way to win the game and one looked like they did not know that they were actually allowed to attack.

We did not look like winning that game even when we had the man advantage which is very disappointing IMO. I was fuming about how badly we played, especially when we had the chance to go 4 points clear.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you and everyone else too. I hope everyone has a great one.

19 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Both teams looked very poor last night but the difference was one team found a way to win the game and one looked like they did not know that they were actually allowed to attack.

We did not look like winning that game even when we had the man advantage which is very disappointing IMO. I was fuming about how badly we played, especially when we had the chance to go 4 points clear.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you and everyone else too. I hope everyone has a great one.

I’m not sure how we can say Dundee were poor to be honest…

Largely battered us when it was even, still had the beater chances with ten men and then scored twice as soon as it was even again… at no point did we even look like scoring. 

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m not sure how we can say Dundee were poor to be honest…

Largely battered us when it was even, still had the beater chances with ten men and then scored twice as soon as it was even again… at no point did we even look like scoring. 

I thought both teams were garbage but Dundee were less so. That's just my opinion though.

Edited by Richey Edwards

Not sure what you do for the back 4 against Morton? Put Ecrepont back in at RB, give the boys Watret a go? Beg Peterhead if we can have Hewitt back? Defo need some additions come January at bare minimum a second goal scoring striker, a holding midfielder and a right sided defender 

Just now, muZZa__44 said:

Not sure what you do for the back 4 against Morton? Put Ecrepont back in at RB, give the boys Watret a go? Beg Peterhead if we can have Hewitt back? Defo need some additions come January at bare minimum a second goal scoring striker, a holding midfielder and a right sided defender 

I was thinking on the drive home last night that surely we must have someone in the youths who would be worth a shot at RB? Bangala is nowhere near good enough.

11 minutes ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

11 minutes of highlights up on the official site but no footage of either sending off!

If its taken from the stream then they definitley got the first one as they did a replay of it. The Bangala one was missed on the stream tbf.

4 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

Do we know what the issue is with Mullin ?

I'm assuming that both Ecrepont and Ashford weren't anywhere near fit last night, otherwise I'm sure both would have played some part given that Bangala was hopeless and then booked plus it was the type of hard working war of attrition type match that Ashford normally does ok in and adds that bit more solidity to the side.

Whatever happens, let's just hope that we have a fully fit and capable 12 or 13 bodies for Cappielow !!

Don't think Ashford is the answer anywhere even in the short term, he's been non existent for months and at Partick I think Bullen had seen enough, nowhere near the level we need, along with Bangala, Young and probably JML I'd be looking to offload, the 4 of them give us largely nothing week in week out.......please don't reply with good attitude or runs about alot, because that's tired now.