The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

When a geriatric Chris Burke turned him inside out away to Killie. 

Geriatric or not, he was still a class act in this league at that time.

I'd be more critical of the wide midfielder in front of him not helping him out more defensively.

There's a capable player there and yes he is an easy target due to last seasons performances. Hopefully he can turn things round, make a decent start to this season and get his career back on an upward trajectory.

At our level it can definitely be achieved through the players hard work in training, getting back to doing the basics and tweaks in formation that are designed get the best out of every player.

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

Mathies part annoyed me. Maybe having worked for some large companies and attended many presentations and meetings, his approach annoyed me massively.

Season tickets, the option to pay monthly added complexity and there were a number of instalment plans (over 500 I think) that were processed by one person, that person had other tasks to complete as well so the process wasn't as smooth as it could have been. 

If I was Dave Smith, the first thing I would have said to him after was, what the f**k was that? What analysis was done before you put this in to action?  what was the deadline to have all applications processed and what recovery plan did you have in place when it looked like one person couldn't manage it? What communication was put out to apologise or set expectations ? 
All of this rather than, it looks like we could have handled this better in hindsight. 

The Media side of it, someone, maybe Bullen said that people are raging after a result but come the Tuesday they are desperate for the Saturday to come round. This is true but the club do very little in terms of video output to harness it. 

Someone mentioned streaming, He said that he was thinking about Friday night games or Saturday tea time games to maximise the matchday experience (and revenue) The discussion led to, Arbroath and Inverness don't bring big crowds, would it be an idea to play them on a Saturday evening, get 500 away fans streaming the game and have the hub open from lunch time with live music, food etc. 

No one seemed really up for the kick-off changes 

Aye I was surprised about the reaction, a Saturday half 6 would be cracking, full afternoon in the hub watching scores etc as a once in a blue moon option would be great and all in all a good revenue spinner IMO. 

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

Aye I was surprised about the reaction, a Saturday half 6 would be cracking, full afternoon in the hub watching scores etc as a once in a blue moon option would be great and all in all a good revenue spinner IMO. 

Aye especially in the summer when it’s a nice night and you can be in the beer garden. I’d much rather that that an earlier kick off. 

2 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Yeah, that sounds magic!

9 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

So based on information from tonight how many signings we expecting prior to league kicking off? Fullbacks obviously been addressed, much said about midfield or attack? 

A number was never mentioned but if I had to guess I’d predict that we could see Hewitt, Ecrepont and Bangala all out and see a RB, LB, winger and a striker brought in. I’d like to see another midfielder on top of that but who knows. 

Aye I think changing the odd kick off times to evenings isn't a bad shout at all for the club. Unfortunately some folk are completely fixated on the 3pm slot, for no reason other than 'tradition'. 

Edited by super_carson

6 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

There's a capable player there and yes he is an easy target due to last seasons performances. Hopefully he can turn things round, make a decent start to this season and get his career back on an upward trajectory.

Absolutely fantasy.  

There isn't a capable player there, he's shown almost every single week since he signed that he isn't up to this level. 

Just now, super_carson said:

Aye I think changing kick off times to evenings isn't a bad shout at all for the club. Unfortunately some folk are completely fixated on the 3pm slot, for no reason other than 'tradition'. 

Saturday evening games are something I would be into, much preferred to a Friday night.  

Just now, itzdrk said:

Absolutely fantasy.  

There isn't a capable player there, he's shown almost every single week since he signed that he isn't up to this level. 

Think that’s harsh saying since he signed , he was voted young player of the year by the fans 

Bullen was strange. 

He basically said that Ecripont and Hewitt have the pre-season to work out what they want to do and if their future is at Ayr. 

He was asked about contacts down south and why he hadn't used his contacts to get any Wednesday players in, it was KIND OF worded as "YOU WERE THERE FOR YEARS, HOW COME WE HUVNAE SIGNED ANY PLAYERS FROM THEM" Bullen said we signed McGuire and jokingly gave the guy the fingers. I don't think that was the "burn" he thought it was. 

He went through the successes of last year, said that Dipo's head was all over the place in January, his partner went back down south and we rejected a bid for him that would have allowed him to go with her. Kirk and Musonda were injured, he felt that Q3 killed us. 

He said that Reading had no challenge last year and had a very disappointing season, he doesn't think that currently, Ecripont is that challenge. Houston was poor. 

He said he wanted a nasty b*****d but can't get one in, needs more talkers in the team. 

He didn't mention any targets or even hint that any were close. No one really pushed him on it. 

Just now, Finlay21 said:

Think that’s harsh saying since he signed , he was voted young player of the year by the fans 

Fans are idiots, myself included. 

Just now, itzdrk said:

Saturday evening games are something I would be into, much preferred to a Friday night.  

Friday evenings are good in that you have the rest of the weekend to enjoy the other games but are a pain in the arse if you travel to games. Saturday tea time wouldn't be a bad compromise, and definitely better than lunchtime kick offs. 

I'm lucky that I can finish at lunchtime on a Friday and get down from Edinburgh no problem, but if I was in till 5pm it wouldn't be so easy. 

12 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

At our level it can definitely be achieved through the players hard work in training, getting back to doing the basics and tweaks in formation that are designed get the best out of every player.

I broadly agree with you here. In Reading's case though it feels like hope more than expectation. Gut feel it's a 1 in 20 shot.

His two predecessors in the position were significantly better than him as well. That's what frustrates me, we've gone backwards at left back at a rate of knots. You have to go back to Roberts time for a worst left back for me.

Edited by Trogdor

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

2 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

As a young player you could accept some of his inferior attributes, especially in a poor side and hope they develop. The guy is now 24 and has no idea how to defend one v one - it isn’t happening now. 

Highlight of the night was the ramble that Wullie Houston went on with him basically culminating in him saying some of the other directors at other clubs are idiots. He did his wee presentation on the pitch which was good and you can see he’s pleased with how that’s all worked out but you could tell he felt awkward having to speak in front of folk. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Highlight of the night was the ramble that Wullie Houston went on with him basically culminating in him saying some of the other directors at other clubs are idiots. He did his wee presentation on the pitch which was good and you can see he’s pleased with how that’s all worked out but you could tell he felt awkward having to speak in front of folk. 

Hahahaha aye, and the question was who impressed him the most from last season! Was a genuine Kevin Bridges “enjoy your night mate” joke about the old drunk guys in a pub. 

There were no real moments of awe and wonder apart from one guy who said rather than asked, When is the communication on the pitch going to get better, at the Thistle game, none of the players were having a go at each other when we were getting beat.

Bullen asked if they were quiet when we beat Thistle at the start of the season or when we.......mentioned other results. He said that a lot of the team are very young and they only have 3 real talkers in the squad and he'd like more, Murphy has bags of experience and oozes class but is a "quiet lad"

One question was, who surprised you most last season, They went round the panel, Bullen said Albinson, Mathie and Smith both said McCallister and the other director (cant remember his name) basically said, Houston was shite! 

35 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

When and who voted him young player of the year? McKenzie, Maxwell and Dempsey are the last 3 winners of the official club one since Reading arrived.