The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

28 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

How is tomi ? 

Behind Brian Graham 😂 Like Dowds he's got an eye for goal when he gets a chance. Will start Saturday against QP. A chance to grab the jersey from BBG for a while. 

If we can get Dowds tied up in January on a contract longer than six months I’ll be delighted. Makes a huge difference having a recognised striker signed up at this level as we won’t be scrambling around looking for someone next summer. Fully expecting a clear out in all areas over the summer so if we can have a core group tied up of player who are tried and tested at this level it would be a big boost. 

18 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Behind Brian Graham 😂 Like Dowds he's got an eye for goal when he gets a chance. Will start Saturday against QP. A chance to grab the jersey from BBG for a while. 

Has he brought as much drama to the Thistle team as he did to the Ayr one?

He reminds me of the Brazilian Kaiser, moaned about not getting a game, then was injured when he did get a game, gets a move to a league club in the summer after months of drama and weird comments from him and his agent then gets injured and barely plays for his new club. Like Kaiser, he wants to be a footballer but not really playing football. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

If we can get Dowds tied up in January on a contract longer than six months I’ll be delighted. Makes a huge difference having a recognised striker signed up at this level as we won’t be scrambling around looking for someone next summer. Fully expecting a clear out in all areas over the summer so if we can have a core group tied up of player who are tried and tested at this level it would be a big boost. 

Hopefully Thistle are happy to get him off the wage bill in January and we sign him on January 1st.

Chalmers, either Dundee United have half an eye on recalling him or they are attempting to play silly buggers. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

we can get Dowds tied up in January on a contract longer than six months I’ll be delighted. Makes a huge difference having a recognised striker signed up at this level as we won’t be scrambling around looking for someone next summer. Fully expecting a clear out in all areas over the summer so if we can have a core group tied up of player who are tried and tested at this level it would be a big boost.

There must be other players not in the plants at other  Championship clubs . Wouldn’t say no to another striker coming in , as well as Dowds !

19 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Has he brought as much drama to the Thistle team as he did to the Ayr one?

Nothing to report on that score. Again well behind Brian Graham on that score...

Tomi was the one bright spark in a god awful team. Almost single handedly keeping that team up.

I continue to wish him well.

He had a positive impact at the club and many worse players get an easier ride from sections of our support.

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Tomi was the one bright spark in a god awful team. Almost single handedly keeping that team up.

I continue to wish him well.

He had a positive impact at the club and many worse players get an easier ride from sections of our support.

Early days to judge I guess, but I think Dowds/Adeloye are probably similar levels of championship striker. 

Tomi possibly a bit more ability to take the ball in and chuck folk about, whereas Dowds has more about him work rate/fitness wise. 

It’s obviously hard to compare directly given the utter shit Adeloye played with, compared to the likes of Murphy and Chalmers. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Early days to judge I guess, but I think Dowds/Adeloye are probably similar levels of championship striker. 

Tomi possibly a bit more ability to take the ball in and chuck folk about, whereas Dowds has more about him work rate/fitness wise. 

It’s obviously hard to compare directly given the utter shit Adeloye played with, compared to the likes of Murphy and Chalmers. 

The things I would do for a strike force of Adeloye and Dipo with support from Chalmers and MurphySalivating Homer Simpson GIF

20 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think Dowds’ finishing is that wee bit better as well. I can’t quite remember all his goals but Tomi very rarely put his foot through the ball to burst the net. Quite often his shots were placed and easy to save at times. Dowds has shown that he can score a lot of different types of goals. 

Adeloye is better with the ball at his feet however although this sometimes led to him holding onto the ball for too long when he should’ve passed. As you say though he didn’t exactly have many good options to be passing to in that team. 

I liked big Tomi, could never understand the stick he got. Yes he was lazy and a lot of the time he kept the ball through being big and awkward rather than skillful but still, he scored goals and had a bit of charisma.

I'll always wish him well. Even if just for running k***ie ragged at RP when he came on.

22 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

I liked big Tomi, could never understand the stick he got. Yes he was lazy and a lot of the time he kept the ball through being big and awkward rather than skillful but still, he scored goals and had a bit of charisma.

I'll always wish him well. Even if just for running k***ie ragged at RP when he came on.

I never understood the lazy comments cause from what I saw he’s not a Dipo/McKenzie/Ashford who could go and run about for 90 minutes was never his style and we most games just left him up top by himself he worked best when paired with Ashford for a bit up top who could do the running for him 

50 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think Dowds’ finishing is that wee bit better as well. I can’t quite remember all his goals but Tomi very rarely put his foot through the ball to burst the net. Quite often his shots were placed and easy to save at times. Dowds has shown that he can score a lot of different types of goals. 

Adeloye is better with the ball at his feet however although this sometimes led to him holding onto the ball for too long when he should’ve passed. As you say though he didn’t exactly have many good options to be passing to in that team. 

Dowds absolutely loves a blasted finish - it is very aesthetically pleasing!

Adeloye was one of those strange players that you could tell within the first 5 minutes of a game how well he was going to play.  I think Dowds is an above average Championship striker at best, but there is a nagging feeling with Adeloye that there is real ability there that no one has yet completely unlocked.  Given his age, the boat has probably sailed in terms of his development and he will play out his remaining career as a real enigma.  I’d be delighted if he was at Ayr given we only have one striker who can actually score goals at the moment, but less sure he’s what we would need longer term.

As others have said, always wish Tomi well. He was pretty much the reason we didn't get relegated that season. Dowds is also a decent enough striker for this level, I think his output over the course of the season will probably be similar or slightly greater than Adeloye.

Ayr supporters have a habit of developing ridiculous views on strikers. I spoke to someone the other day who genuinely insisted that Akinyemi was the most overrated player he has ever seen, that he was incredibly lazy and that he was glad he left.

14 minutes ago, AuAl said:

As others have said, always wish Tomi well. He was pretty much the reason we didn't get relegated that season. Dowds is also a decent enough striker for this level, I think his output over the course of the season will probably be similar or slightly greater than Adeloye.

Ayr supporters have a habit of developing ridiculous views on strikers. I spoke to someone the other day who genuinely insisted that Akinyemi was the most overrated player he has ever seen, that he was incredibly lazy and that he was glad he left.

Hahaha, that is an impressive football opinion that one…