The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

It's not quite the 500 home gates of the late Roberts era yet tbf.

Aye, football is full of short memories.

Not downplaying how grim things are, I agree with the sentiment of everyone on here but some of the rhetoric is a bit exaggerated.

6 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

What should our expectations be for this season and this squad? I honestly don't think they're good enough for the top four.

Probably about 7th/8th even with a decent manager. The defense is easily league 2 standard. the midfield isn't much better and our squad depth for subs are lacking.Not to mention the lack of leadership too.

Safe to say we need another 4 players and a manager to survive comfortably in this division IMO.

Edited by THEHonestman1910

7 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

What should our expectations be for this season and this squad? I honestly don't think they're good enough for the top four.

Who knows but you look at Morton and Airdrie, both pushing for fourth, and I don't see much quality in their squads either.

Just now, BukyOHare said:

Who knows but you look at Morton and Airdrie, both pushing for fourth, and I don't see much quality in their squads either.

Better Managers?

Spoiler

That's rhetorical.

13 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

With the situation of the new stand and half the ground shut off this season was always going to be a mediocre transitional season. 

However the situation we're currently in is worse than mediocre and borderline disaster. 

There's nothing to suggest that someone could safely say just now we can keep bullen to the end of the season and we'll finished between 5th - 7th and not be in any relegation battle at the end of the season. 

I think when we came into the season the aim was maybe mid-table given the off field changes being implemented, but clearly Bullen and (most of) the signings this summer haven't worked out so it's got to be about just staying up.

We definitely need a new manager with a tactical plan (not just spouting tropes about spirit and work rate) as well as players to improve our defence, ideally a RB and CB. We badly need a Mark Kerr-esque midfielder to help link play as well. 

I do think that relegation to league one  when we open a new stand would be an absolute riddy for Smith and Mathie so hopefully it's something they take serious action to avoid...

13 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I do think that relegation to league one  when we open a new stand would be an absolute riddy for Smith and Mathie so hopefully it's something they take serious action to avoid...

If they were taking serious action then Bullen would have been gone weeks ago. I fear the worst.

Finishing 9th won't do either. It's been proven that we implode in the big games, especially when there's a decent crowd and it's very far fetched to think we'd trouble Falkirk or Hamilton in a play off.

I still believe we have enough "quality" to at least not be bottom. Said I reckon we'd finish 7th (8th at worst). Performances at home especially have been grim and we certainly aren't getting value for our buck. I go along these days out of routine and blind faith rather than because I actually want to go see us. It's mostly a chore this season but nobody forces us along, we're all loyal fools 

49 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Morton just went to Tanandice missing their top scorer in Muirhead fresh off a hat trick v us and their best CB in Baird and won 3-2 yet we still listen to folk making excuses for our shower of shite 

7 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Morton just went to Tanandice missing their top scorer in Muirhead fresh off a hat trick v us and their best CB in Baird and won 3-2 yet we still listen to folk making excuses for our shower of shite 

Where's the excuses exactly?

16 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I still believe we have enough "quality" to at least not be bottom.

There is plenty of individual talent but

• a) It isn't evenly distributed (and most of the goalscoring talent is distributed to people who aren't actually Ayr United players)
  • b) There is virtually no cohesion in the group; they barely know what each other are doing, there's very little consistency in selection or formation except that forced by injury
  • c) Because the tactics are so limited other teams easily figure out who to take out of the game to nullify all the threat
  • d) Because of all of the above, morale is rock-bottom, which leads to continual stupid mistakes (from the highlights Albinson very nearly punched the ball at one of their strikers' feet again after the first howler, and the defense is a very slow-moving train wreck in general).

And then you've got a manager who believes that football games are basically just pure chance and that failure is entirely due to bad luck.

10 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Where's the excuses exactly?

Have you genuinely not seen any?  I've seen the injuries to Murdoch and Dempsey blamed, the AFCON of Musonda, the suspension of McGinty, the injury to Stanger etc.  

43 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I think when we came into the season the aim was maybe mid-table given the off field changes being implemented, but clearly Bullen and (most of) the signings this summer haven't worked out so it's got to be about just staying up.

We definitely need a new manager with a tactical plan (not just spouting tropes about spirit and work rate) as well as players to improve our defence, ideally a RB and CB. We badly need a Mark Kerr-esque midfielder to help link play as well. 

Surely serious action would mean either:

a.  Make quick moves in the January transfer window to improve the team.

b.  Make a quick change of manager to try and get more out of the current squad.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look as if we are doing either.

Just now, Hursty said:

Have you genuinely not seen any?  I've seen the injuries to Murdoch and Dempsey blamed, the AFCON of Musonda, the suspension of McGinty, the injury to Stanger etc.  

You quoted my post and mentioned excuses, apologies.

Back-to-back league games vs the bottom of the table, sandwiching a cup game to a lower-league team that Ayr have never played, is basically the crucible. At least four league points and a win in the cup is the absolute bare minimum required, and only three straight wins is really acceptable.

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

You quoted my post and mentioned excuses, apologies.

Ah I see - apologies back - had quoted you for the Morton example as was basically agreeing with you 🤣

Just now, Thumper said:

Back-to-back league games vs the bottom of the table, sandwiching a cup game to a lower-league team that Ayr have never played, is basically the crucible. At least four league points and a win in the cup is the absolute bare minimum required, and only three straight wins is really acceptable.

Totally agree.  Only thing I would add is that if we bin him later in the month, will we be doing any transfer business in January? Or do the powers that be believe more in the squad than Bullen actually does?

What’s the opinion of how this season has been approached? In my opinion it’s going pretty much exactly to plan for the higher-ups (minus this terrible run). An uneventful season where we tread water until the new stand is open.

1 minute ago, AyrAtlanta said:

What’s the opinion of how this season has been approached? In my opinion it’s going pretty much exactly to plan for the higher-ups (minus this terrible run). An uneventful season where we tread water until the new stand is open.

Said it would be like this during the summer. I do think the board is getting restless now that the club could in all practicality be bottom by the end of the month.