The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Oh I do agree however that a bit of realism is required we're struggling just now for sure, but it's a struggling at 3rd place, our good players will return, we'll recruit and push on I'm sure of it......be nice if someone could post where we were sitting on 1st of January this year to cheer us all up 

1 hour ago, muZZa__44 said:

Not sure what you do for the back 4 against Morton? Put Ecrepont back in at RB, give the boys Watret a go? Beg Peterhead if we can have Hewitt back? Defo need some additions come January at bare minimum a second goal scoring striker, a holding midfielder and a right sided defender 

Do we not have anyone in the reserves who can play CB which would at least put McAllister out to his more natural position of RB?

5 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Do we not have anyone in the reserves who can play CB which would at least put McAllister out to his more natural position of RB?

Only one I can think of is Bilham but he’s no taller then McAllister and more left sided besides him there’s nothing unless we call back I think it’s Alex Jeanes from his loan?

thou another thing why is Moffat not on the bench surely someone with his experience is needed considering our lack of options on the bench surely couldn’t any worse then the options we have 

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

It seems every time he is at a game it's the away team who win the match...

I absolutely cant stand this guy. Saw folk from the club bending over backwards to accommodate him last night as if hes some sort of A lister. I'm maybe just being the grinch but these adult vloggers do my nut in 

58 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I absolutely cant stand this guy. Saw folk from the club bending over backwards to accommodate him last night as if hes some sort of A lister. I'm maybe just being the grinch but these adult vloggers do my nut in 

I don't mind the ones he does going round the grounds. I found that quite interesting, especially lower league stadiums I've never been too. I didn't realise he was a Rangers fan though. 🤢

Only vlogger I pay any attention to is Mattman. 

Last night really annoyed me. The players have quite rightly got a lot of praise for their performances this season and even games we have lost they have been applauded off but didn’t deserve anything last night. Yes we have a good few injuries however were playing against 10 men for 40 minutes and created Absoulotely nothing. Dundee we’re the better team and even if it had remained as 11 v 10 I’m not convinced we would of took anything from the game.

We all said the triple header with Partick, Dundee and Morton would be a massive indicator as to whether we were genuine title contenders and we’ve got 0/6 points and the injury situation heading into Morton is still looking bleak.

Dont get me wrong we’re still in a much better place than we were this time last year and if  you had said we’d be 3rd at the turn of the year I think most fans would of snapped your hand off. I suspect Dundee will strength in January and run away with the league however if we get our injury situation cleared up and add a few players in January then we’ve got a very good chance of the playoffs. I think Dundee, Thistle and QP will be the top 3 with ourselves and Morton fighting it out for 4th. 

2 hours ago, Mod1967 said:

Don't think Ashford is the answer anywhere even in the short term, he's been non existent for months and at Partick I think Bullen had seen enough, nowhere near the level we need, along with Bangala, Young and probably JML I'd be looking to offload, the 4 of them give us largely nothing week in week out.......please don't reply with good attitude or runs about alot, because that's tired now. 

Young has had a poor few weeks, but he was contributing before that. I still wouldn’t mind letting him go to allow others in though. JML clearly has something, he has shown us that in flashes - strangely twice against Arbroath. No idea whether it’s a confidence issue or whatever that affects him but I would be willing to give him a bit longer to settle down. As soon as O’Connor is back he is the clear third choice wide player though - in fact I would be keen to see a front three of O’Connor, Chalmers and Mullin in behind Akinyemi. I’m sure Chalmers and O’Connor could switch between ten and playing wide. 

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

I think McAllister has been better than CB than RB tbh. He isn’t good enough on the ball to play at RB, and it is one of the things limiting him at CB too. 

Edited by No_Problemo

4 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Nothing worse than these football tourist p***ks that act as if they're doing lower league Scottish football a favour by featuring it on their channel.

The absolute worst thing about the game was that i was fully ready to burst into "you're just a shite Argentina" the minute they went a goal down.

The square pegs thing would have been more effective if all the chat when signing Bangala hadn't been about how flexible he was. Also last season very sorely demonstrated the need for proper cover in the full back position so unlike the lack of centre halves there's no real excuses there.

Lastly, no wonder it all kicked off at the back of the SRE considering that every third guy was openly swigging from a full bottle of their fortified wine of choice. Not that I was jealous or anything.

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Lastly, no wonder it all kicked off at the back of the SRE considering that every third guy was openly swigging from a full bottle of their fortified wine of choice. Not that I was jealous or anything.

What happened?

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

The absolute worst thing about the game was that i was fully ready to burst into "you're just a shite Argentina" the minute they went a goal down.

The square pegs thing would have been more effective if all the chat when signing Bangala hadn't been about how flexible he was. Also last season very sorely demonstrated the need for proper cover in the full back position so unlike the lack of centre halves there's no real excuses there.

There were about 5 or 6 of us in there, so going to need to find out which 2 had a bottle and give them a slap for not sharing. 

A poorly Lee Bullen looked absolutely drained in his post match interview. I don't want to make excuses but everyone knows how viruses suck all the energy from the body during and well after the recovery process. I had it myself recently and felt like death going for a wee cycle on Thursday.

I'd take a point against Morton and hopefully the squad is back fully fit minus the long term injuries for the two home games.

On 24/12/2022 at 11:38, No_Problemo said:

This is what I think we need, I’m very aware that we won’t get all of this - in order of priority:

Full back: If Houston is injured long term then a RB is an absolute essential priority. If he is back soon then it has to be a LB. Houston has been miles in front of Reading this season - though ideally you are replacing both. 

CM: We can’t run with only Murdoch and Dempsey in there. 

ACM OR ST (I would like to see us be able to control games a little better at times, but if Bullen wants to continue with two up front then it would be a second striker signing as opposed to an attacking central midfielder)

CB: Again depending on the injuries of Kirk and Musonda. 

After being happy with McKenzie’s progress and wanting him to regain the second striker slot I have been really disappointed with his last two performances. Brad Young has fallen off a cliff performance wise, absolutely hoaching last night. 

It would be good to get Bryden on loan to league two and Smith to league one - they need more than odd minutes and it’ll show us what they really have about them getting regular game time. If we want to make room in the budget it would be one of Ashford or Young to go as we have plenty in those positions. Of course, Bangala too - I would hope he isn’t being paid very much. 

To be fair to him, McAllister at only 21 has shown there is some potential there as a centre half. 

I think this is a case of Houston getting better because he's not been playing, however the reality is that he's only had a handful of decent to good games over the course of the past 2 seasons.

I agree that Reading has been terrible the past couple of Months, however I can't see anyone seriously arguing that Hosuton has been consistently better than Reading over the past 2 seasons and in fact the difference between the two up until the past couple of months was huge with Reading consistently offering much more going forward and also much more from a defensive perspective.

As you say though, both FB positions at the moment are a serious problem.

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I think this is a case of Houston getting better because he's not been playing, however the reality is that he's only had a handful of decent to good games over the course of the past 2 seasons.

I agree that Reading has been terrible the past couple of Months, however I can't see anyone seriously arguing that Hosuton has been consistently better than Reading over the past 2 seasons and in fact the difference between the two up until the past couple of months was huge with Reading consistently offering much more going forward and also much more from a defensive perspective.

As you say though, both FB positions at the moment are a serious problem.

Houston hasn’t been better than Reading over the past two seasons, however has been far better than him this season. Reading has been pretty disgraceful defensively, without offering anything offensively. I think you lose patience quicker as he had so much potential but just seems to be going back the way. He has been so bad that I would rather have McGinty in the team, and Musonda at LB. 

I’m still fully aware of Houston’s limitations, but before his injury he was back towards some of his earlier good performances. 

Edited by No_Problemo

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Houston hasn’t been better than Reading over the past two seasons, however has been far better than him this season. Reading has been pretty disgraceful defensively, without offering anything offensively. I think you lose patience quicker as he had so much potential but just seems to be going back the way. He has been so bad that I would rather have McGinty in the team, and Musonda at LB. 

I’m still fully aware of Houston’s limitations, but before his injury he was back towards some of his earlier good performances. 

He's actually only played 8 league games this season and I'd agree that 3 or 4 of them he was actually quite good, however I'd worry that we're maybe looking more favourably on him due to the fact he's not been part of the side with the collective form dip.

I suppose it's tough for us as we've been used to having generally excellent Full Backs on at least one side of the pitch to really struggling in this area, especially when the rest of the team has looked so good.

Who knows, maybe it's partly because we've got 2 wingers playing in front of them and only really having 2 genuine Midfielders that's making them look poorer and more exposed than normal while blunting their attacking edge at the same time ??

12 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

There were about 5 or 6 of us in there, so going to need to find out which 2 had a bottle and give them a slap for not sharing. 

There was a lad next to me with a half bottle of Buckfast and another one with a full bottle of pink Mad Dog.