The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, Mike the Magyar said:

You are way out with your guessitimate at my age.

I’m referring to the level/standard of football not necessarily how clubs spend what they have.  As for you saying that what the English clubs are doing is unsustainable, make a note of the crowd sizes in Leagues 1 and 2 in Scotland and tell me those leagues are sustainable.  
I’ve attended many games over many decades to support my team and I’ve attended many league games in England and from what I’ve seen the Scottish Championship is no better than League2/National League in England.  In fact at times I’ve glad the Jags weren’t in the National League, we’d have been embarrassing.

Good luck to Dipo but the ‘ wanting to go back for my family ‘ stuff is obviously not the case.

The difference is that clubs in League 1 and 2 in Scotland aren't signing players for £250k and paying £5k per week, unlike some of their English counterparts, they're mostly part time and mostly living within their means.

Dunfermline and Falkirk on the other hand were both pulling in crowds of 4,000 and 5,000 while in League 1 so that doesn't really fit with the narrative of the Scottish Championship being well below the National League in England in terms of infrastructure / support etc as we can all cherry pick. In terms of spending power but you're right, there's very few teams in the Scottish Championship can compete with L2 in England as ultimately there's more money in England via sponsorship, TV money and general marketing of their leagues so it's no surprise that they can spend bigger, however some of them are spending WAY above their means and that's the point I was making about that happening here in the past and it not ending well for many.

"Incredibly, the average attendance for York City this season is 3,116, almost 1,000 clear of second place". 

In days gone by clubs were bailed out, however I'm not so sure there will be the same appetite in the future, given the state of the wider economy and attitude of the general public.....

6 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Good quality experienced players? I can only think of a few and do they want to sign for us? Strapp for example probably has sights further up the league 

Just as a few examples, Strapp, Smith, Jakubiak, Mclennan. 

11 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If anything that just proves the arguement that signing experienced players based in Scotland has a far bigger success rate than signing from down south/over seas. 

I don’t think there’s anything to say either way is far better than the other especially when you take our past signings into it. For one thing it’s harder to get the guys up here to sign as everyone is after them. You end up paying far more than they are worth which is why the club have half removed themselves from that market. 

7 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

If we win tomorrow we'll be further ahead of this time last season, having just (rightly) moved a few bodies on after a later finish than the previous season, and making a (relative) ton of money from Dipo. Relax lads, ffs. 

Not sure that's the bar we should be aiming to clear

20 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If anything that just proves the arguement that signing experienced players based in Scotland has a far bigger success rate than signing from down south/over seas. 

It’s not a direct comparison though. If we were only looking in Scotland then we wouldn’t be signing 11 players the quality of Mullin or Chalmers or McInroy. We’d inevitably end up taking gambles from players up here just as much as we have from down south.

8 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Strapp may have sights further up the league but he's not found it so far. Bit like Steven O'Donnell when he left Kilmarnock because he was much better than them only to sign for Motherwell. 

He may get his move but he's now missed most of Scottish pre-season and English clubs are up and running now. 

Afaik Strapp is still doing rehab for his injury and Morton have been letting him use their facilities. I can see a few clubs waiting to see how his recovery goes but I am confident he won’t be here unless Sir Patrick Reading of the North East leaves Ayr. 

10 minutes ago, Iain said:

It's a polite way of calling supporters who want more than they're getting unrealistic.

It's absolutely used to manage expectations.

As Richey just said, we finished 2nd in this league. We have been in the Championship for 6 seasons (including this one), on that basis we're exactly where we should be. We're not too wee or plucky for this level at all.

Any signing is a risk. 

This new recruitment model has seen us sell a player for a six figure sum for the first time in at least 20 years. That's something!

I remain sceptical of the long term success of recruiting soley from down south but its hard to argue with the above KPI. 

You will always sign duds or players just won't click at a given club. Someone said 7 good signings and 3 bad signings in every 10. That would be great, we're about 50/50 just now (give or take). 

43 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If he has refused then it makes a bit of a mockery of Bullen constantly going on about signing the right types of characters. 

I would not think many players  refuse to return to a club whilst under contract at this level 

Just now, Trogdor said:

Any signing is a risk. 

This new recruitment model has seen us sell a player for a six figure sum for the first time in at least 20 years. That's something!

I remain sceptical of the long term success of recruiting soley from down south but its hard to argue with the above KPI. 

You will always sign duds or players just won't click at a given club. Someone said 7 good signings and 3 bad signings in every 10. That would be great, we're about 50/50 just now (give or take). 

It's true that not every player will work out, but if you're paying a significant wage to a recruitment expert you'd expect to see a better hit rate than if you weren't. Otherwise why have the role at all?

4 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

At our level ?? I don’t think these guys are full time just looking at players for one club 

That's interesting. My recollection is that the club had to prise their current guy away from Hamilton? Would've thought that came with a certain price tag. Happy to be corrected. 🙂

15 minutes ago, Iain said:

That's interesting. My recollection is that the club had to prise their current guy away from Hamilton? Would've thought that came with a certain price tag. Happy to be corrected. 🙂

9 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m also fairly sure Glendinning is an Ayr Utd employee.

He was certainly announced as Head of Recruitment:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayr-united-appoint-new-head-25807133?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

He never listed this on his LinkedIn though and a month later he started a business called KG4 Football Services Ltd