The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, motley123rock said:

Yeah it looked lovely with all the NI flags and red hand of ulster flags plastered all over the street and their social club 😡

Unfortunately the house straight across the road from the ground is plastered with union Jack's and Red hands, the one of many downsides of living in a  Town stuck in the dark ages.

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I didn't see any of today's game but a day after we've just lost our best player in years what exactly were people expecting from today?

The idea that we've got Dipo replacements ready to arrive as soon as his exit was confirmed is comedy gold, even for this thread. Up until yesterday morning very few even knew he was heading to York. Let that sink in for a minute.

As usual people on here can't help but proclaim how bad things are or are going to be after 25 minutes of our 1st meaningful game. As laughable as it is predictable. It must really spoil folks Saturday night that we didn't actually get beat.

Was it ever going to ve anything but a struggle with a makeshift squad and still being 3 or 4 senior players short in numbers?

The Q&A last night let the knicker wetters know that the club are aware of where we need strengthening. Again that doesn't seem good enough, what exactly are people expecting?

And if anybody doesn't think there's a direct correlation between home attendances / number of season tickets and the amount you actually can pay for players then they'll need to explain that one to me.

This isn't an "I'm better than you happy clapper post" but come on guys and girls get a grip of some harsh realities before there's few left to post on here. It's getting that bad.

Dipo would have been suspended for this game anyway. Eight of the starting xi were at the club last season, seven of those in the first team. No reason to expect them to struggle against what turned out to be a limited part time opponent. But please do let us know when we can start taking the games seriously, thanks.

People expecting us to have a squad not entirely assembled of utter shite for the first competitive game, imagine thinking like that - wild stuff. 

I also clearly need to be re-educated about how Raith Rovers have so many more fans than us…

Edited by No_Problemo

This a football forum. It may shock some posters to realise that not everyone shares their opinion. This isn't the echo chamber some like to portray it as.

I'm amazed anyone tries to contort today's result as anything other than a lucky escape that's what it was. It was painful viewing for the most part. I don't buy the 'something to build on' gibber jabber.

The club has serious business to get done in the transfer market. The League Cup is a serious competition. In 2018/19 our winning the group meant we could sign Liam Smith. Success was worth an extra player, something to think about.

Just now, Iain said:

Dipo would have been suspended for this game anyway. Eight of the starting xi were at the club last season, seven of those in the first team. No reason to expect them to struggle against what turned out to be a limited part time opponent. But please do let us know when we can start taking the games seriously, thanks.

You can't lead the witchunt saying how bad and unattractive we were last season (in your opinion) and then point that we had 7 or 8 of last seasons team playing today. 

The serious stuff starts against Morton most likely and certainly doesn't need the usual suspects burning effigies after 25 minutes today.

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

People expecting us to have a squad not entirely assembled of utter shite for the first competitive game, imagine thinking like that - wild stuff. 

I also clearly need to be re-educated about how Raith Rovers have so many more fans than us…

^^^^^

Sidestepping having to explain how season ticket sales / home attendances doesn't impact on the level of player funds. Nice.

Just now, BukyOHare said:

You can't lead the witchunt saying how bad and unattractive we were last season (in your opinion) and then point that we had 7 or 8 of last seasons team playing today. 

The serious stuff starts against Morton most likely and certainly doesn't need the usual suspects burning effigies after 25 minutes today.

You can’t say they aren’t serious games when Bullen announced last night that we were taking them more seriously as he is more aware of the financial benefits from qualifying. 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

You can’t say they aren’t serious games when Bullen announced last night that we were taking them more seriously as he is more aware of the financial benefits from qualifying. 

He's hardly going to publicly say otherwise is he?

Anything in this competition  should be seen as a huge bonus based on where we are currently.

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

^^^^^

Sidestepping having to explain how season ticket sales / home attendances doesn't impact on the level of player funds. Nice.

There has to be a reason to buy a season ticket. I buy one every season because I am in the very fortunate position of being able to afford it and tbh I don’t know what I’d do on a Saturday without football. 

There are a huge amount of people that aren’t in that boat and it’s a hell of an expense for most. Most people want to be able to go on a Saturday and for it not to be utter shite. Far too many clubs try to convince people that it’s the fans duty to buy one when it’s up to the club to convince people to do it and not by guilt tripping them and saying it’s hard to compete with clubs of a similar size just because they have more sales. 

He's hardly going to publicly say otherwise is he?

Anything in this competition  should be seen as a huge bonus based on where we are currently.

He was very honest last night and I fully believe he would’ve said he was treating it as an extension of pre season if that was the case. 

You’re right though. Anything is a bonus as the position we’re in is way behind where we should be. 

Bullen saying hopefully 4 in

which means two and and 4 out, then blames the market and those nasty players not wanting to sign for us.

All the pish they tell us catches up with them and they try and turn it round to supporters misunderstanding what they said, despite it being on camera. 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

There has to be a reason to buy a season ticket. I buy one every season because I am in the very fortunate position of being able to afford it and tbh I don’t know what I’d do on a Saturday without football. 

There are a huge amount of people that aren’t in that boat and it’s a hell of an expense for most. Most people want to be able to go on a Saturday and for it not to be utter shite. Far too many clubs try to convince people that it’s the fans duty to buy one when it’s up to the club to convince people to do it and not by guilt tripping them and saying it’s hard to compete with clubs of a similar size just because they have more sales. 

I don't doubt times are tough for a lot of people but you can't tell me that income generated from season ticket sales and home attendances doesn't impact on the amount you have to pay players with.

This has always been what I was trying to say, nothing more, nothing less.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

as the position we’re in is way behind where we should be. 

Trust me when I say, on very good authority, that work on getting new players in and existing players out, without a bottomless pit of money, isn't quite as easy at this level as some people on here would have you believe.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You’re right though. Anything is a bonus as the position we’re in is way behind where we should be. 

Very well put.

We aren't where we aught to be. There is significant work needing done to bring in players. 

One modicum of positivity from today, we actually tried to play out from the back but Stirling Albion had a high press so it was high risk given our defenders aren't the best with the ball at their feet. We didn't just aim long punts. That is something.

Just now, BukyOHare said:

I don't doubt times are tough for a lot of people but you can't tell me that income generated from season ticket sales and home attendances doesn't impact on the amount you have to pay players with.

There’s a way of going about it though. Last night was the first time Mathie has irked me a wee bit as it felt like he was saying it was up to the fans as to whether we can sign good players. That’s not convincing anyone. There’s no doubt that the club should have seen record sales considering last season was our highest finish in years but I don’t think they took advantage of that. Obviously it’s hard when you come off the back of a 8-0 drubbing but the club going silent for large parts of the close season feels like it’s impacted how fans are looking ahead here. Fans want to be reassured that everything is going to be fine. Clubs need to communicate that but unfortunately without utilising their channels fans are left wondering what’s going on. 

9 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

^^^^^

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Of course it impacts - however the point was around Raith Rovers being able to sign early and we weren’t as they had so many more season ticket holders than us. 

Show some ambition early on = a buzz and higher season ticket sales early on. 

I imagine in the end we will have relatively similar attendances to Raith. 

Trust me when I say, on very good authority, that work on getting new players in and existing players out, without a bottomless pit of money, isn't quite as easy at this level as some people on here would have you believe.

No club has a bottomless pit and they’re still getting stuff done. The chasing of Graham and McKay felt like a waste of time as it was unlikely to amount to anything. 

I can’t remember a time where we have been rumoured to be after so many good players and landed none of them. It’s good that we’re being ambitious but we aren’t in a position (yet) where we can get these guys.