The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It's not quite as straightforward as that though. Crawford was constantly played out of position and didn't really impact the game. I blame Uncle Ian for the stick Crawford got tbh.

I mean at the time McCall had Murdoch, Kerr, Docherty and Crawford all who would have walked in to most teams midfield in the championship then. 

Do remeber the games where it was a 4 man midfield of CM's lol

17 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

I mean at the time McCall had Murdoch, Kerr, Docherty and Crawford all who would have walked in to most teams midfield in the championship then. 

Four CMs with Geggan at right back. 

14 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It's not quite as straightforward as that though. Crawford was constantly played out of position and didn't really impact the game. I blame Uncle Ian for the stick Crawford got tbh.

Crawford was here a lot longer than McCalls time though. Did McCall not save Crawfords career by improving his game? From memory Crawford had a brilliant first season and went down south for trials. He then regressed and was also injured a lot so it looked like he would be moved on. I blame Crawford for not building on his first season and either getting a move or cementing his place. A very good player on his day which doesn't happen often enough and this also seemed to be the case at Partick 

28 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Aye Uncle Ian loved playing a CM out wide. You are right that we had very strong options in the centre of midfield. I don't think we ever really played Crawford where he is best. Does he play CM for Morton?

17 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Did McCall not try and  play murdy on the wing in his first season? 

He had a fascination with playing Geggan on the right in a 442 to try and balance out the midfield as we’d usually have Crawford/McDaid/Forrest on the left. In fairness it worked a lot as Geggan linked up well with Moffat times and allowed Liam Smith to overlap. The issue was that when Geggan got injured McCall just decided to have Murdoch do that job which he wasn’t as good at as he’d never played anything like it. Think it worked for one game against Dundee United at Somerset but besides that it made us weaker in midfield. There’s no doubt that McCall conservative approach that season let us down in a lot of games. 

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Did McCall not try and  play murdy on the wing in his first season? 

He played him there in the 1 nil win against Dundee United the Tuesday after the talbot game and to be fair worked a treat, maybe because Dundee United were thinking WTF.

35 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The dash of pink event at the Alloa game was mentioned at the Q&A 

It looks a good idea, promoting two sporting clubs in the town and hopefully it will be mutually beneficial over time 

I'd rather we did things with other Ayr sporting clubs rather than enter into nonsense partnerships with English clubs.

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

I'd rather we did things with other Ayr sporting clubs rather than enter into nonsense partnerships with English clubs.

If we support the local area then hopefully the local area will support the club.

Might be easier to get funding for training facilities, have a better supply chain pulling power etc if we are in these types of partnerships. Especially when the Ayrshire bulls are affiliated with the SRU 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Not being Lionel Messi. 

The section of our support that is made up of old guys pick on any young players coming through. Alan Forrest got it, Craig McGuffie got it and Crawford got it. You can see the same folk picking on the likes of Mark McKenzie and Fraser Bryden. 

He used to get abuse for being a shitebag ie being a midfielder that didn't just kick folk.   

Very good point though - most clubs fans are that desperate for a youth academy player to come through that they tend to over rate them- we are the exact opposite 🤣

7 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

We should involve all the teams in South Ayrshire. Have involvement with these clubs as you never know, might find a hidden gem.

The wee man is currently at the Ayr United Football Academy in Troon and has asked I put this up. He wants the Ayr fans to know that he's without a doubt Ayr's missing striker and will score a billion this season if signed.

IMG_20230720_191515.jpg

4 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

We should involve all the teams in South Ayrshire. Have involvement with these clubs as you never know, might find a hidden gem.

The wee man is currently at the Ayr United Football Academy in Troon and has asked I put this up. He wants the Ayr fans to know that he's without a doubt Ayr's missing striker and will score a billion this season if signed.

IMG_20230720_191515.jpg

Frazer Bryden must be an inspiration to him

#gingersarepeopletoo

Spoiler

I am unable to view a nice post without feeling weird and have to resort to humour to compensate 

16 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Frazer Bryden must be an inspiration to him

#gingersarepeopletoo

Reveal hidden contents

I am unable to view a nice post without feeling weird and have to resort to humour to compensate 

100% 😂

IMG_20230720_233010.jpg

1 hour ago, Roxanne's man said:

IMG_20230720_191515.jpg

It's also a big chance to engage with the local community and attract new young supporters.

Sometimes people bemoan that our crowds have dwindled over the past couple of decades. I think the people who stopped going to games back then are probably not coming back. A lot of them are probably dead (it's been a long time so it's possible) or simply can't be arsed anymore no matter how well we're doing. Why not try to get youngsters interested in their local team?

BTW that's a cracking picture of your son.