The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, Bowl-of-chilli said:

Was he born and raised in Ireland? Is he Irish?

I think you need to step away and have a think about the intricacies of nationality. Where you are born and raised isn’t always that relevant. 

If he feels Irish, then yes he is Irish.

Edited by No_Problemo

Just now, No_Problemo said:

I think you need to step away and have a think about the intricacies of nationality. Where you are born and raised isn’t always that relevant. 

If he feels Irish, then yes he is Irish.

True.

I was born in England, but sure as f**k do not call myself English.

Didn't stop my Papa from calling me a "Sassenach b*****d" for putting sugar in my porridge though. 

1 minute ago, Bowl-of-chilli said:

Jesus f**k.

People of the world in 2023, in a nutshell.

Yes, because he woke up one day without any link to Ireland and randomly decided he was Irish. I take back the child thing, it’s very much old man yelling at cloud category now. 

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

True.

I was born in England, but sure as f**k do not call myself English.

Didn't stop my Papa from calling me a "Sassenach b*****d" for putting sugar in my porridge though. 

Exactly - no one has the right to tell someone else what nationality they are. Surely people should know by now that nationality is quite a complex thing for lots of people. 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yes, because he woke up one day without any link to Ireland and randomly decided he was Irish. I take back the child thing, it’s very much old man yelling at cloud category now. 

Not a word about Musonda you'll notice.  

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Not a word about Musonda you'll notice.  

There’s a massive list of players who don’t represent the country of their birth. Either through ability or what country they choose the affiliate with. 

Aiden McGeady was more than good enough to represent Scotland at youth level but we mucked about whereas Ireland made him feel wanted. He also has actual familial links to Ireland. 

Think someone’s WiFi is needing cut off so he can go for a lie down. 

26 minutes ago, Bowl-of-chilli said:

Was he born and raised in Ireland? Is he Irish?

Che Evens, Dykes, McTominny, kieran tierney, Angus Gunn just 4 mainstays of the current Scotland team not born in Scotland, so what's your point?

Edited by Superhursy7

I'm Scottish of Irish family heritage (grandparents), so the same situation as McGeady, I think. Although I'm proud of my heritage, I personally don't consider myself Irish - but some of my family members, cousins and such, have always had a stronger feeling of Irish nationality. They spent a lot more time there as kids and felt a connection to the place and culture that I did not. If any of them had chosen to represent Ireland in some capacity I simply cannot understand why someone could take issue with it. Just as no one would really take issue in any other circumstance. Notice that this conversation never materialises when talking about any other countries or nationalities.

The only reason some gammons in Scotland get so worked up about it is because it's Ireland. A clear representation of the same sad undercurrent in Scottish society. 

Edited by AuAl

12 minutes ago, AuAl said:

I'm Scottish of Irish family heritage (grandparents), so the same situation as McGeady, I think. Although I'm proud of my heritage, I personally don't consider myself Irish - but some of my family members, cousins and such, have always had a stronger feeling of Irish nationality. They spent a lot more time there as kids and felt a connection to the place and culture that I did not. If any of them had chosen to represent Ireland in some capacity I simply cannot understand why someone could take issue with it. Just as no one would really take issue in any other circumstance. Notice that this conversation never materialises when talking about any other countries or nationalities.

The only reason some gammons in Scotland get so worked up about it is because it's Ireland. A clear representation of the same sad undercurrent in Scottish society. 

This - excellent post and obviously articulated in a way I’m not able to in terms of the personal nature of it. 

People might want to read why Scotland wouldn't select McGeady in the first place at schoolboy level at the same time as Ireland were willing.

As for McCarthy, does it really surprise people that despite playing for Hamilton's first team he'd be overlooked by Scotland youth managers because he didn't play for either of the Old Firm.

Probably says more about the integrity of both that they stuck with Ireland throughout rather the likes of Declan Rice or numerous ex Scotland youths that switch to England as soon as any interest is shown.