The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

9 hours ago, Trogdor said:

This is the way.

McAllister isn't great though. Controversially, his best performances have been at centre half.

Aye McAllister is woeful. His decision making for Livingston’s first goal was dreadful but that’s his weakest area. He doesn’t know where he’s supposed to be and gets dragged out of position constantly. 

15 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Folk wanting to sign a fourth fucking right back when we're a striker and 2 centre mids short fs :lol:

Aye, this. We need to make do with our RB options - far more important areas to strengthen. Hopefully Ahui gets up to speed and comes onto a game or Watret has a breakthrough season. McCallister is difficult to watch at times.

12 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

We are not signing another right back ahui will be better than the performance against Morton 

I'd far rather have Ecrepont and Reading as McAllister and Ahui so if anyone thinks we need a LB but don't need a RB then I'd suggest that they haven't attended any of our games this season.....

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Folk wanting to sign a fourth fucking right back when we're a striker and 2 centre mids short fs :lol:

You obviously didn't read whatt I was responding to, people were wanting a LB as a priority and I was merely pointing out that RB is much more of a problem than LB.

I totally agree that CM is the priority but that surely goes without saying given the events of last week.

The signing of Ahui in the first place seemed strange given that we already had an extremely promising youth player of our own without risking it all on a 19 year old youth player from Lincoln, surely the smart way to go would have been a bit of experience and someone who at least could do the basics correctly ?

I hope Ahui proves me wrong and turns out to be an inspired signing but the early signs weren't good at all and made me seriously wishing for Bangala to make an appearance.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

The signing of Ahui in the first place seemed strange given that we already had an extremely promising youth player of our own without risking it all on a 19 year old youth player from Lincoln, surely the smart way to go would have been a bit of experience and someone who at least could do the basics correctly ?

I hope Ahui proves me wrong and turns out to be an inspired signing but the early signs weren't good at all and made me seriously wishing for Bangala to make an appearance.

Watret is way off the mark physically - would be eaten alive at this level. Minutes here and there or a loan + physical development and target being the RB next year. 

12 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Maybe the lad is a baller but Bullen has completely ruined him after that Morton horror show.

Bullen wasn't the one who asked him to pass across his own box or try and beat 3 Morton players at the edge of his own box or totally mistime tackles etc.

I totally agree that he was chucked in the deep end but he at least should have had the sense and know how to get the basics right and I also assume he was watching the game from the bench so would have known about Morton's high press and pressure game so should have been able to adapt to that.

I will reiterate that I want him to do well and hope that was just a blip, but the fact he hasn't played since when we all know McAllister is out of his depth is a major worry I'd think.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

On the flip side when you have a young player coming through the best thing can be to get someone in on loan for a year and assess the youngsters development ahead of next season. Rather than sign someone on a two year deal and he keeps that young player out the team for that duration. We could’ve gone and signed a 30 year old on a short term deal but I don’t think anyone like that is out there or was in our price range. 

It’s important to remember that Ahui is being judged on 45 minutes of football and nothing else. The fact he’s been out the team has somehow gone against him as folk are presuming he’s been bombed out the team rather than being given time to bed in and adjust. The club will know how hard it is for young players to come up here on their own and deal with homesickness. Brad Young suffered in that way and his performances dipped because of it. As I said maybe the Falkirk game is a good chance for him to come back in and see how he does. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

On the flip side when you have a young player coming through the best thing can be to get someone in on loan for a year and assess the youngsters development ahead of next season. Rather than sign someone on a two year deal and he keeps that young player out the team for that duration. We could’ve gone and signed a 30 year old on a short term deal but I don’t think anyone like that is out there or was in our price range. 

It’s important to remember that Ahui is being judged on 45 minutes of football and nothing else. The fact he’s been out the team has somehow gone against him as folk are presuming he’s been bombed out the team rather than being given time to bed in and adjust. The club will know how hard it is for young players to come up here on their own and deal with homesickness. Brad Young suffered in that way and his performances dipped because of it. As I said maybe the Falkirk game is a good chance for him to come back in and see how he does. 

Yes, you could be right and I am being harsh but as I say I'd love nothing more than to be proved wrong.

Dipo was written off last season by many after his first couple of cup games and even Larsson at Celtic was seen as a joke player on his debut and being mocked by all, so there's definitely hope !!

Footballers will rarely get off the mark immediately. From premier league level right down to modest Scottish Championship.

So many factors at play in settling in and getting up to speed. 

Driving up from Lincoln the day before, being lobbed into a hotel in Ayr for the night where he probably had to have food he wouldn’t normally have and and chucked on at HT in Cappielow where I’d be imagine he still didn’t know 50% of the lads names during the game is probably on the lower end of ideal scenarios for a smooth beginning. 

Give him a chance over 3-5 games. 

We're not exactly at the Brett McGavin, Jack Ruddy, Jamie Thomas, Ryan Connolly etc. stage after a 45 minute debut in which he got booked inside the first 5 minutes.

RB is currently more a weakness than a problem. The club identified we had one and addressed it, time will tell if the solution works but that time is not 45 minutes.

Edited by GaryMc93

13 hours ago, Trogdor said:

This is the way.

McAllister isn't great though. Controversially, his best performances have been at centre half.

If McAllister was a few inches taller then the mere notion of him playing at full back would seem nonsensical. His game is every bit that of a meat-and-potatoes centre half. He's good at it too - he was exceptional there against Raith at Somerset last December, so much so that he was singled out for praise in The Scotsman's match report afterwards (along with, interestingly, an out-of-position Ecrepont). But he was hung out to dry in the following game at Firhill. Rather than having McGinty track Brian Graham wherever he went, Bullen had him and McAllister stick to their usual left and right sides, and Graham battered McAllister for most of the game while McGinty watched. After that he got shuffled out to full back again once the opportunity arose.

McAllister is another casualty of Bullen's tactical ineptitude. He's not an exceptional talent by any stretch, but the right manager, in the right system, would get a tune out of him as a centre half at this level. As it is though, we'll probably spend the rest of this season watching him struggle at full back before he's quietly released, dismissed as not being good enough, another square peg in a round hole just like O'Connor, Ashford, Mitchell-Lawson and McKenzie.

Edited by Meathead

For what it's worth I don't make too much of Ahui from Wyscout.  Seems a bit of a bull in a china shop.  I wasn't at Morton so I'm not swayed by his performance that day.  

I saw Connor Malley do a pirouette away from him in one of the clips.  

I'd be keeping him going in training and giving him another go in the Falkirk game though.  Still developing. 

Edited by itzdrk

21 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

For what it's worth I don't make too much of Ahui from Wyscout.  Seems a bit of a bull in a china shop.  I wasn't at Morton so I'm not swayed by his performance that day.  

I saw Connor Malley do a pirouette away from him in one of the clips.  

I'd be keeping him going in training and giving him another go in the Falkirk game though.  Still developing. 

I liked Connor Malley. Shame we didn’t get to see more of him due to Covid.