The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 minutes ago, GuyIncognito said:

Mathie isn't fully in charge of recruitment though. He negotiates the deals with the clubs and the players but most of it is done by Glendinning and Bullen (mainly Glendinning though). 

My understanding is that Glendinning will recommend players to Mathie however the final decision is with him. Bullen is head coach and not manager and doesn't get much if any say in signings nor should he. 

Think everyone is being a bit quick in writing off these new midfield signings tbh.

The style of play being produced on the pitch however falls to Bullen and as someone said we even got played off the park up at Morton with Murdoch and Dempsey before they got injured so the excuse of them being the difference goes out of the window

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

My understanding is that Glendinning will recommend players to Mathie however the final decision is with him. Bullen is head coach and not manager and doesn't get much if any say in signings nor should he. 

how the f**k did Gondoh, Kenyon etc get through net btw

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think we have “failed” though. There’s been plenty of positives and plenty of negatives. That’s about as good as you’ll get with recruitment unless you have loads of money to throw about. 

I've got it that basically for every signing they get right they get one wrong the way it's averaging out - I've out Rowe in the negatives but it's not necessarily a failure of recruitment.  To balance that so it's not skewed I've given 1 to Chalmers for each signing.  9 players still really to work out from their signings and it could tip the scale quite a lot if they mostly go the same way.  

Positives (9):

Chalmers (X2), Mullin, Musonda, Stanger, Kirk, McInroy, Dempsey, Akinyemi 

Negatives (10):

Pendlebury, Maguire, Ashford, Gondoh, Kenyon, McAlear, JML, Bangala, B Young, Rowe

Unsure (9):

J Young, Rose, Syla, McGeady, Ahui, Amartey, Senga, Mutch, Murphy

16 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I think he has to be spoken to about it. It’s his job at the end of the day to make the players he’s got work in a team so to just hand him a group of players he has no knowledge on isn’t very efficient or effective. 

I get what you’re saying about him being a head coach rather than a manager but imo it’s not ideal if whoever is in charge of the squad doesn’t have a say about who is coming into that squad. 

13 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

how the f**k did Gondoh, Kenyon etc get through net btw

Was Gondoh not recommended by Adeloye? 

Kenyon is a strange one as on paper it was a fine signing. He only played about three games though and looked desperately short of fitness but seemed to be a huge character in the dressing room in that final run in. 

8 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I've got it that basically for every signing they get right they get one wrong the way it's averaging out - I've out Rowe in the negatives but it's not necessarily a failure of recruitment.  To balance that so it's not skewed I've given 1 to Chalmers for each signing.  9 players still really to work out from their signings and it could tip the scale quite a lot if they mostly go the same way.  

Positives (9):

Chalmers (X2), Mullin, Musonda, Stanger, Kirk, McInroy, Dempsey, Akinyemi 

Negatives (10):

Pendlebury, Maguire, Ashford, Gondoh, Kenyon, McAlear, JML, Bangala, B Young, Rowe

Unsure (9):

J Young, Rose, Syla, McGeady, Ahui, Amartey, Senga, Mutch, Murphy

I think that’s fair enough although harsh on Brad Young who I really liked but ultimately it didn’t work out for personal reasons. 

From what I’ve seen around five of the unsures look like they could be good signings although it’s hard to appraise a couple of them accurately. For example we might not get a good look at Mutch until next season if Albinson goes and he takes over as number 1. 

11 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Anyone else notice yesterday, on numerous occasions, Syla crying for the ball from McGinty, only for McGinty to completely ignore him and hoof it up the park?

Unfortunately, that is big Sean's default setting. Years of working under hoofball managers will do that to you.

You probably can’t call our recruitment a failure yet, I guess. 

We can say that it is concerning and appears to not have addressed the issues we had. It will be a categorical failure if things continue as they are looking like. 

250 000 for Dipo, 2nd place prize money and to go back the way completely will be infuriating. 

We went into the close season knowing that we needed to upgrade both fullbacks, add quality, experience and leadership in the middle of the park, plus replace Dipo.  I don’t see how any of our signings really address those areas.  On the plus side, I think Chalmers and Murphy add genuine quality in the wide areas and Stanger looks a very decent Kirk replacement.  Genuinely don’t know what to make of McGeady.  He isn’t as completely done as i feared, but he just isn’t influencing things at all in the attacking third.  

Overall,  I think our recruitment has been pretty dire.  

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

Overall,  I think our recruitment has been pretty dire.  

You are basing that entirely off of this season and ignoring the bigger picture. And even then it’s far too early to judge half the players we’ve signed this summer. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You are basing that entirely off of this season and ignoring the bigger picture. And even then it’s far too early to judge half the players we’ve signed this summer. 

I think that’s the problem you’re not really engaging with.  Even if the signings are decent on their own terms, they didn’t necessarily fix issues we knew we had.   Syla and Young tired badly, but looked ok in the first half so hopefully with some match fitness we’ll find we’ve reverse parked into some decent signings.  But otherwise, we desperately need another striker.  Rose took his goal very well which will hopefully help his confidence, but his overall performance wasn’t good and he looks like he needs to play off a strong centre.  We’ll probably end up signing that big dumpling Innes Cameron on loan again.

13 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I think that’s the problem you’re not really engaging with.  Even if the signings are decent on their own terms, they didn’t necessarily fix issues we knew we had.   Syla and Young tired badly, but looked ok in the first half so hopefully with some match fitness we’ll find we’ve reverse parked into some decent signings.  But otherwise, we desperately need another striker.  Rose took his goal very well which will hopefully help his confidence, but his overall performance wasn’t good and he looks like he needs to play off a strong centre.  We’ll probably end up signing that big dumpling Innes Cameron on loan again.

We signed three midfielders because two got injured and one left. I’d say that very much addressed an issue we had. 

27 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Unfortunately, that is big Sean's default setting. Years of working under hoofball managers will do that to you.

This is why we were so much better with Kirk and Musonda, two players who didn't want to smash it up the park. McGinty is a fine stopper but he's just that and no more. His two year extension is almost as wild as McKenzie's!

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We signed three midfielders because two got injured and one left. I’d say that very much addressed an issue we had. 

We can’t judge the signings yet either way, so surely we have no idea if the central midfield signings addressed the issues we have?

We already know Bullen wanted something different. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It would certainly be ironic if, after all the talk of plans and strategies, pressing the panic button in the last week of the transfer window actually delivered some winners.  But very early days to judge that.  Certainly none of them fits the bill of the experienced leader Bullen seemed to want.  If we could find some sort of additional striking option, we might not be in as much trouble as the first 4 league games would suggest.

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

We can’t judge the signings yet either way, so surely we have no idea if the central midfield signings addressed the issues we have?

We already know Bullen wanted something different. 

I think we also know that what Bullen wants and what was actually available are two entirely different things. 

It may have been possible at the start of the window to get some experience in before we signed Pendlebury but I’m not sure what he was expecting a couple of days before the deadline. 

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think we also know that what Bullen wants and what was actually available are two entirely different things. 

It may have been possible at the start of the window to get some experience in before we signed Pendlebury but I’m not sure what he was expecting a couple of days before the deadline. 

There were and are players with experience available - we might find out over the next week or so whether it was possible if they sign for clubs in our league. 

ETA, does anyone have any idea in terms of a loan striker we can now go after? And not Innes fucking Cameron. 

Edited by No_Problemo

1 hour ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Anyone else notice yesterday, on numerous occasions, Syla crying for the ball from McGinty, only for McGinty to completely ignore him and hoof it up the park?

Noticed that he tried to make himself available at shys but Mcallister never engaged him perhaps as mcallister seemed to be keen to play rose in

Edited by Ayrmail
To make sense

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

No chance. We literally signed our most valuable signing and plenty other good players for this level. There have been others that have been not so great but still contributed enough and others that have been utter shite. 

To say we have flat out “failed” in our recruitment is not true no matter how you try and spin in. 

Just as an aside, O’Connor wasn’t signed under the current regime and as I understand was out of contract but had an option for a further year which wasn’t taken up. 

Yep there have been players signed that haven’t really done anything. Gondoh and Bangala probably being the main two and it remains to be seen if Ahui is added to that list. Don’t think I’ve ever said otherwise though. 

Still nonsense to say that our recruitment has been a failure. 

Some of these players were bought out of two year deals as well which is even worse than the fact we signed them at all