The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, AuAl said:

We've all had this conversation on here many times, but I've always felt Robbie Crawford leaving Ayr was an enormous loss for us.

Could never understand the insane amount of criticism that seemed to be directed at him in a lot of games at Somerset. He is exactly the type of player that many Ayr sides of the last few years could have really benefitted from.

We had games where I would rather have played with a man short rather than have him in the team. However I can remember performances where he looked like he could be sold on for a massive fee. Massively inconsistent.  The low point came at Palmerston when Gary Harkins turned him inside out twice then curled the ball into the top corner. 

1 hour ago, Scott-ish said:

His aim today was to get Ahui sent off by any means necessary and I'm amazed he didn't manage it.

I actually liked him when he played for Ayr and maybe a few horrible players like him is what we need. We can't keep complaining about hammer throwers like Morton beating us when we know exactly what they're going to do. We need to stop being so naïve and wake up to whats needed in this league.

I was surprised Ahui never seen a second yellow for the trip on McGratten which led to the goal. Equally surprised that Waters(who was superb btw) wasn’t booked. Suppose that sums up the ref really. 

1 hour ago, AuAl said:

We've all had this conversation on here many times, but I've always felt Robbie Crawford leaving Ayr was an enormous loss for us.

Could never understand the insane amount of criticism that seemed to be directed at him in a lot of games at Somerset. He is exactly the type of player that many Ayr sides of the last few years could have really benefitted from.

I blame Uncle Ian for playing him out wide when he's not a winger. He also talked him up incessantly, "like Messi in training".

He didn't give him the best opportunity by shoehorning Robbie into the team and by setting expectations by always talking him up.

Robbie was also quite inconsistent at times which didn't help either.

15 minutes ago, GMFC89 said:

I was surprised Ahui never seen a second yellow for the trip on McGratten which led to the goal. Equally surprised that Waters(who was superb btw) wasn’t booked. Suppose that sums up the ref really. 

Waters should have been off the pitch, how he got away with some of those challenges on Chalmers is amazing. I guess he was effective as far as that goes.

That ref was a clown. Not making excuses though, we lost because our manager doesn't know how to win games like this.

Ahui could easily have gone too though.

We'll both be down there at the wrong end of the table come the end of the season, 2 poor teams.

Awful 1st half. At times we looked so sluggish going forward and not inspiring watching the bottom team consistently pin us in our own half.

Better 2nd half but our defence will always give away chances. Murphy very unlucky with his crossbar hitting shot.

Can't figure out why we didn't sub on Amartey, especially since Broadfoot is known for having practically 0 pace.

2 hours ago, Oceanlineayr said:

Can't figure out why we didn't sub on Amartey, especially since Broadfoot is known for having practically 0 pace.

Because the manager is a fucking idiot.  Spent the whole pre match and post match press conference greeting about how Morton are big and strong and score from set pieces yet doesn't attempt to play the game a different way.    There's a story there - we eventually got the one about Pendlebury but can't be the same with Amarety as he's still here.  

7 hours ago, Hursty said:

Because the manager is a fucking idiot.  Spent the whole pre match and post match press conference greeting about how Morton are big and strong and score from set pieces yet doesn't attempt to play the game a different way.    There's a story there - we eventually got the one about Pendlebury but can't be the same with Amarety as he's still here.  

The lack of substitutions felt very like  Falkirk in the cup earlier this year.

Bullen has always (in my view) compared to other managers had issues with using substitutions and altering a game plan.

I think it's very hard to justify going to Somerset Park at the moment, home form under Bullen has been rubbish since he arrived.  

W - 10

D - 10

L - 11

W % 32.25

Much better saving my cash and having a nice day out at away games, the club makes f**k all from it but tbh that's their problem for sticking with something that isn't working. 

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I think it's very hard to justify going to Somerset Park at the moment, home form under Bullen has been rubbish since he arrived.  

Much better saving my cash and having a nice day out at away games, the club makes f**k all from it but tbh that's their problem for sticking with something that isn't working. 

That home form.....

f7I6v1Scf5Nk.gif

Morton had a simple game plan. Anytime Ayr have the ball, just foul them. Bad fouls warrant a booking but you can commit as many niggly fouls as you like when the ref has forgotten the bit about persistent infringement  They saw how well we hit on the break over the last few games, so just didn't let us break. It was obvious what they were doing after 10 minutes as they just pulled us down then reorganised their defence to deal with the inevitably poor set piece.

Another team turns up at Ayr knowing they can just bully Ayr out of the game. Lost count of how many times it has happened over the last few years and we need to find some mental strength from somewhere or it will be a long time before we see another home win.

7 minutes ago, yorkshirepud said:

Morton had a simple game plan. Anytime Ayr have the ball, just foul them. Bad fouls warrant a booking but you can commit as many niggly fouls as you like when the ref has forgotten the bit about persistent infringement  They saw how well we hit on the break over the last few games, so just didn't let us break. It was obvious what they were doing after 10 minutes as they just pulled us down then reorganised their defence to deal with the inevitably poor set piece.

Another team turns up at Ayr knowing they can just bully Ayr out of the game. Lost count of how many times it has happened over the last few years and we need to find some mental strength from somewhere or it will be a long time before we see another home win.

Except that he wasn’t even booking them for bad fouls, so things just continued to get more ridiculous. Waters with a flying body check to Chalmers and Crawford with one of the latest tackles you are ever likely to see not even being bookings. Muirhead set the tone early on when he went down screaming, and then roared in Syla’s face after kneeing him in the ribs. 

I actually think we stood up to it fine, they didn’t bully us - that wasn’t the issue. They absolutely played the referee and fair play to them for that, outwith our set up/sub issues that is the one thing  you could argue we should have done better. 

29 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

In 2023 it reads as follows for home league games. This includes the play off game at Somerset.

W 4 / D 3 / L 7

W% -28.6% / PPG 1.07

jurassic park deal with it GIF

I'll be interested to see the highlights as I thought there were a few incidents the referee missed. I was sure at one point he gestured to Waters that he was on his final warning and yet he still got away with at least two more yellow-worthy fouls. As someone else has said, Ahui could easily have been shown a second yellow for a trip. 

As for team selection, Amartey is quite clearly getting the Tomi treatment - doesn't run about enough bla bla. Sometimes you just need to give guys a chance to go and play on a Saturday and see what they can do. 

4 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

I'll be interested to see the highlights as I thought there were a few incidents the referee missed. I was sure at one point he gestured to Waters that he was on his final warning and yet he still got away with at least two more yellow-worthy fouls. As someone else has said, Ahui could easily have been shown a second yellow for a trip. 

As for team selection, Amartey is quite clearly getting the Tomi treatment - doesn't run about enough bla bla. Sometimes you just need to give guys a chance to go and play on a Saturday and see what they can do. 

Ahui’s second challenge was definitely a booking, but there were about thirty challenges more worthy of a booking than his first one. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Ahui’s second challenge was definitely a booking, but there were about thirty challenges more worthy of a booking than his first one. 

His yellow was bizarre, I genuinely thought the referee was booking Crawford for diving. From the SRE it looked like Crawford just threw himself down.

You could only laugh at how bad that referee and stand side linesman were. Fucking grim.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

His yellow was bizarre, I genuinely thought the referee was booking Crawford for diving. From the SRE it looked like Crawford just threw himself down.

You could only laugh at how bad that referee and stand side linesman were. Fucking grim.

I was being a bit generous to the referee with that one, as I wasn’t sure if I had missed something. 

What annoyed me most about that one though, was that it was moments after Crawford just about broke Ahui in half and never got booked for it. Crawford went down screaming, which the referee appeared to buy all fucking game! 

I’m usually very placid at the football, but not so much with some of those decisions yesterday 😂