The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If it’s true then it’s a tricky one.

Imo Smith has been one of our best players in the last couple of games. Him and Harvie.

I’m not overly keen on playing Geggan at RB but I would imagine McCall will have a chat with Smith to see where his head is at.

Just can’t see how he could be trusted in games v Utd in the play offs. He consciously might not make a mistake on purpose, but if something was to happen it falls on McCall for not pulling him.

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

When's Geggan's contract up?

Would imagine the summer, but can see him and Moffat getting extensions.

Just now, AUFC 1910 said:

If McCall has any doubts he will dump him from a great height.

Don't think he will be taking any penalties.

This, however in a penalty shoot out he might not get the choice if it’s a long one!

Well done for failing to understand anything about the post you’ve just quoted. You’re a bright one.

Every Ayr fan knew he was leaving at the end of the season but they’d have expected him to move to a better club than Dundee United. That’s all. I don’t see why you keep trotting out the same stuff about them being a bigger club or Ayr fans being bitter. It’s very tiresome and you likely can’t think of an proper response to the points being made. That’s fair enough but stop being so boring and repetitive.

Tell me who’s a better club then that would have taken him?

All you are doing is basing it on the fact you have turned us over this season and we are currently in the championship. You are not looking at the bigger picture like he certainly has. You seem to be drowning in your own bitterness.

All you are doing is basing it on the fact you have turned us over this season and we are currently in the chanpionship. You are not looking at the bigger picture like he certainly has. You seem to be drowning in your own bitterness.

Go and read my post about it on the last page. It’s all there.

It’s got nothing to do with Ayr and Dundee Utd. Absolutely nothing. By better club I’m talking about Premiership clubs that he could easily walk into. Do keep up.

So you’re telling me the likes of St Johnstone, Hamilton, livi etc are “Better” clubs than United? Just because they are currently in the PL? You are obviously a complete fool.

As a stepping stone to a big move yes they are. This is quite obvious.

Only a “complete fool” would argue otherwise.

This has been eye bleeding stuff for the last few pages.

Dundee United are comfortable a bigger club but if they don't go up (and that's probably sitting at 50/50 at best) then this move could be a little foolish.

I think he's been good but the point regularly made about his final ball is a good one. Proper nose bleed stuff it appears.

If he can fix that then he'll end up at a much bigger team than Dundee United.

And in terms of not trusting him, that's just daft. We play our best team, unless McCall sees something that worry him.

They're better. You're slumming it in this league because you're shite. They're not because they're less shite. You can w**k yourself silly over being some sort of big club as if it has any relevance whatsoever, but it means f**k all. You're not very good, which is why you're where you are.

There is absolutely no argument to be had about St. Johnstone and Livingston being better. They absolutely are with no question whatsoever. You could probably make an argument for Hamilton though.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

This has been eye bleeding stuff for the last few pages.

Dundee United are comfortable a bigger club but if they don't go up (and that's probably sitting at 50/50 at best) then this move could be a little foolish.

I think he's been good but the point regularly made about his final ball is a good one. Proper nose bleed stuff it appears.

If he can fix that then he'll end up at a much bigger team than Dundee United.

And in terms of not trusting him, that's just daft. We play our best team, unless McCall sees something that worry him.

Sounds like a more modest step up is just about right, tbf. It's easy to say that he could have got a bigger/better gig but his contractual position will have been known to scouts/agents/other clubs for a while and clearly his best offer has come from United. If a bigger/better gig was available then presumably he'd have gone there instead.

They're better. You're slumming it in this league because you're shite. They're not because they're less shite. You can w**k yourself silly over being some sort of big club as if it has any relevance whatsoever, but it means f**k all. You're not very good, which is why you're where you are.
There is absolutely no argument to be had about St. Johnstone and Livingston being better. They absolutely are with no question whatsoever. You could probably make an argument for Hamilton though.

Currently proving to be better teams yes I agree. Better clubs absolutely no way.

9 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

All you are doing is basing it on the fact you have turned us over this season and we are currently in the championship. You are not looking at the bigger picture like he certainly has. You seem to be drowning in your own bitterness.

JESUS CHRIST !!

Ok, I'll try just one last time.

Liam Smith was outstanding for St.Mirren last season when they won this division, he was however then recalled by his parent club Hearts, Hearts were happy to keep him as he still had one year remaining on his contract, however the new Manager had come in and had brought his own players so basically Smith was told that his 1st team appearances would be very limited.

Anyway, Hearts allowed him to leave but at that point most clubs had already put their squads together, hence the reason we were really lucky to land him. We all knew he was probably better than our level, however we got him and he's been one of the top performers not only in our team but also in the division for the second year running, while also holding down the RB position for the U21 national team.

So, all we're saying is that he's highly rated, still improving and could / should be playing at a higher level than the Championship and he's definitely improved since leaving Hearts.

We have nothing against Dundee Utd at all, BUT as we stand right now Dundee Utd are a Championship side and will need to successfully negotiate at least two play off matches in order to be promoted. If this all works out well and United go up and Smith substantially increases his salary with a good deal, then Yes, fair enough it's a good move, however, right now it's certainly a gamble and I don't think anyone could seriously dispute this fact.

So please, can we stop this now ???

5 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Currently proving to be better teams yes I agree. Better clubs absolutely no way.

Unless maybe they are boyhood fans, players will generally pick a better current team over a "better club", whatever that means, so long as the personal terms are good. Careers are short and players need to navigate towards getting exposure and always thinking about the next move.  Playing for a "big club" won't play the bills or set you up for retirement. They would be mad to do anything else but what is best for them over both the short and long term. 

But as least you are talking realistically now about the current state of your Club.  Nobody knows where you'll be playing next season, and if Liam Smith is playing for you lot in the Championship and again you don't manage to go up it will have been a wasted move.  He was 23 yesterday (Happy Birthday, Liam!) and needs to be thinking very carefully about his move for next season. I hope it all works out for him personally wherever  he ends up.  

1 minute ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

Unless maybe they are boyhood fans, players will generally pick a better current team over a "better club", whatever that means, so long as the personal terms are good. Careers are short and players need to navigate towards getting exposure and always thinking about the next move.  Playing for a "big club" won't play the bills or set you up for retirement. They would be mad to do anything else but what is best for them over both the short and long term. 

But as least you are talking realistically now about the current state of your Club.  Nobody knows where you'll be playing next season, and if Liam Smith is playing for you lot in the Championship and again you don't manage to go up it will have been a wasted move.  He was 23 yesterday (Happy Birthday, Liam!) and needs to be thinking very carefully about his move for next season. I hope it all works out for him personally wherever  he ends up.  

99 times out of 100 a player will pick the club that’s willing to pay him the best salary, no doubt about it. 

Absolute no brainier for the boy to go there, bigger club  better wages than Ayr regardless of what league they’re playing in, but playing him against THEM in the play offs is also a no brainer and he can’t play it would be putting the boy in a terrible position.

I also think the timing of this is shocking Dundee United playing all the mind game cards just shows how sneaky they are.

Absolute no brainier for the boy to go there, bigger club  better wages than Ayr regardless of what league they’re playing in, but playing him against THEM in the play offs is also a no brainer and he can’t play it would be putting the boy in a terrible position.
I also think the timing of this is shocking Dundee United playing all the mind game cards just shows how sneaky they are.

We need to play our best players. If he plays tomorrow night which I think he will then he’ll play in the play offs if we meet Dundee United.

If the rumours are true then he should never play for us again. I get that this has been on the cards for a while and his performances have dropped but when it comes down to the playoff games can he be trusted? 

Picture the scene: playoff semi final 2nd leg: Dundee United 0v 0 Ayr United, Liam Smith finds himself one on one with the keeper (I know this is unlikely as he’s a fullback but stay with me)- Do we honestly think he would 100% try and score and keep Dundee United down? 

If the rumours are true then he should never play for us again. I get that this has been on the cards for a while and his performances have dropped but when it comes down to the playoff games can he be trusted? 
Picture the scene: playoff semi final 2nd leg: Dundee United 0v 0 Ayr United, Liam Smith finds himself one on one with the keeper (I know this is unlikely as he’s a fullback but stay with me)- Do we honestly think he would 100% try and score and keep Dundee United down? 

I’d like to think if he ever found himself in that position he’d have a bit more integrity than that but I don’t know the guy.

The only two people that will know if he is able to play is Smith and McCall. I’d like to think the manager would have a chat with him and decide if he should play him. We’re in danger of having a Michael Rose situation where he signs the pre-contract and goes off the boil for a month or so. We can’t afford that to happen.

I’d play him tomorrow and depending on how he does either keep him in the team or drop him. I hope he’s not played his last game for us as he’s been pretty good all season.

The trust should always go with the manager on something like this. If he trusts Smith to play and thinks he's an asset then you should be supporting that. Dundee United won't care about him doing his current job so I don't see how that will be a factor tbh. Infact, it'll be a positive for them as it shows his professionalism.