The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

11 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Amartey needs to be starting games from here on in. We need to find a way of getting him, Chalmers and Murphy into the same team. Best way to do that is probably a 4-2-3-1 with Murphy the centre of the 3. 

I don’t really see us doing that much business in January. We all know the fullback areas remain a major issue but given we’ve waited for two years for it to be addressed I won’t hold my breath that  it’ll be sorted in January. We’ll definately need to bring in a centre half due to Musonda going to AFCON and his injury record. On the loan players I wouldn’t be against keeping them all, Dowds and Chalmers obviously the crucial ones however Jack Young was our best player last night and I really like him, I really like Senga aswell. Ahui isn’t great but is an improvement on McAllister. if we do keep Young and Senga I’d look at getting Paul Smith out on loan. Same with Bryden if we keep Dowds (think this has already pretty much been confirmed?)

Ahui seems to be improving game by game, so I guess the question is if you see if that can continue progressing or get someone else in. 

A CB that can also play RB might be a good option. 

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Amartey needs to be starting games from here on in. We need to find a way of getting him, Chalmers and Murphy into the same team. Best way to do that is probably a 4-2-3-1 with Murphy the centre of the 3. 

It would seem obvious to anyone who has watched us this season that Amartey MUST start. Unfortunately Lee Bullen likes to either ignore or wilfully go against the obvious because he's 52.

I think the sending off helped us, we were ok in the first half but nothing special, taking McGeady allowed attacking moves to stop breaking down and we thrived in his absence at the top end. 

Chalmers in particular had been giving him the ball a lot, some folk wanted him off at half time for being poor which I guess is folk looking only at what the player is doing and not the whole picture.

We didn't change our shape we just left his position empty which says to me that we should be binning the 4231 and moving to a 433 with a holding midfielder once McGinty is back.  

Amartey is a tough one because all (bar 1) his good performances have been on the left and Murphy has also been good there.  

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I think the sending off helped us, we were ok in the first half but nothing special, taking McGeady allowed attacking moves to stop breaking down and we thrived in his absence at the top end. 

Chalmers in particular had been giving him the ball a lot, some folk wanted him off at half time for being poor which I guess is folk looking only at what the player is doing and not the whole picture.

We didn't change our shape we just left his position empty which says to me that we should be binning the 4231 and moving to a 433 with a holding midfielder once McGinty is back.  

Amartey is a tough one because all (bar 1) his good performances have been on the left and Murphy has also been good there.  

I think the formation works with a better player in McGeadys position. I’m trying to think of a player that would be ideal for that role. Robbie Crawford would be one but he’s not a realistic signing. If Turner at County was to be loaned out in January he would fit that role. It would basically be a 433 out of position but you’re expecting that one midfielder to get forward and link up more with the wide players and Dowds. I think Dempsey is okay getting forward but I don’t think it’s the best part of his game. 

For me that’s the priority position as I think if we get that right it’ll help the midfield protect the defence a bit more. A centre half would be next in the list and then dealing with getting Dowds on a permanent. 

17 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

image.png.5cf02c4bf0abc8f5a0bbb84b8ad1d830.png

ideally would love to have this be the starting line up till improvements are potetnially brought in (maybe try Stanger at RB when he comes back and we have all 3 of Stanger, Musonda and McGinty fully fit)

I could see that three of Chalmers, Murphy and Amartey being quite fluid and rotating throughout the game which is hard for the opposition to play against.

Edited by Trogdor

image.thumb.png.ae93c4812d120d521fa2fe4e792507fd.png 

Should hopefully be lining up a bit like this after January with Musonda away to AFCON. New centre back in and some attacking depth on the bench.

Would much rather have Chalmers in behind the striker as it would give him a lot more freedom which suits his style of play, while Amartey and Murphy being far more direct on the wings would create more chances for Dowds. Also gives us the chance to allow the 3 behind Dowds to play fluidly as @Trogdor suggested.

18 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Clumsy but a straight red, missed the ball and stuck the studs in his knee 😂😂

I’m really not sure he did… 

It looked more like the side of his boot as he half pulled out of it. 

ETA - watched it again and you might be right tbh 😂 the footage is too grainy to get any proper idea of how much contact there was. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Can anyone fathom why we’ve dropped Albinson? Hes not been brilliant this season but I wouldn’t have said he did anything to warrant being dropped. I thought Mutch did well against Airdrie and had a couple of good saves but looked very awkward last night based on those highlights. 

I wouldn’t be keen on him automatically becoming our number one if Albinson leaves in the summer.