The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 hours ago, ComradeDiego said:

The name I was referring to was Allan McGregor but a don’t know if there’s any truth in it 😂

Was told that over the weekend there could be a big name signing, I chucked that name into the conversation and got a maybe as a response. 

Taking it with a bucket of salt obviously.

Surely McGregor wouldn’t be regarded as an actual signing though? 

In terms of what would be considered a big name, I’m not sure who’s available? I think we’ll mostly be dealing in loans. 

It's also clear to see that Brown wasn't wrong the other day when he said we need to have more composure on the ball, 2nd half especially it was so rushed at times when there was much more time to look up and pass. Thought Syla got more ropey as the game went on tbh.

There was certainly more of an effort to try and keep it on the deck which was pleasing and when we did go long 9/10 times it was actually landing at any Ayr player up the top end of the park and not just an aimless hoof to outer space. 

Not sure if we just made use of wide Hampden pitch for keeping it on the deck or if we'll carry that on

The gaffer said: "I'm always happy with a win - although I was a little disappointed with the later part of the game where we could have showed more composure and killed Queen's off a bit better. But the lads have been fantastic over the last couple of days and the amount of information we've fed them is probably way more than we should have done, but they've taken it on board really well.

"They've already got an understanding of the shape we want to play and how we want to press. We looked a threat throughout how the whole game and that's how I want us to be. The disappointment was the goal we conceded because we've allowed Dom Thomas on to his left foot to cross but that's what good players do. But we showed a good reaction and it's good for us to see what the players are like - we've only had a couple of days with them so far but we want to be high energy and get at people. We will make mistakes - I will make mistakes - but we're okay with that.

"The fans were brilliant today and cheered the lads on for the 95 minutes. One good thing about this club is everyone will come together and we all need to muck in because we know we're in a sticky situation and we're trying to get ourselves out of it.

"The lads had kept three clean sheets and won two on the bounce before today so we didn't want to come in and change things overnight. It was brilliant for me and Steven to get that win in our first game, though, and we look to kick on now. But it's all about the lads - it's not about me as the manager - it's about the eleven on the park and today their performance level was exceptional."

We desperately need a RB you can't fault McAllister for effort but he's not up to the level required would like to see a more creative midfielder and another striker with a bit of pace to stretch defences Dowds just lacks that yard of pace if we can get those 3 in we can push for top 5, next week is going to be very interesting.

2 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

We desperately need a RB you can't fault McAllister for effort but he's not up to the level required would like to see a more creative midfielder and another striker with a bit of pace to stretch defences Dowds just lacks that yard of pace if we can get those 3 in we can push for top 5, next week is going to be very interesting.

Sanders can play RB apparently 

12 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I don't think it'll be that interesting unless we get more bodies in next week. There's really only so much you can do coaching wise with what you've got. 

Very reassuring to hear Brown collabing with his assistantand keeping on at the players with instructions during the game. Something which has been sorely missing and which this group of players definitely need

17 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

With ahui away we will have a few irons in the fire surely. We need a right back left back and a striker/no10. 

id maybe even play watret instead of Mcallister. When he went down with 20 minutes to go he struggled massively. Granted he wasnt great before that but he was better than the last 20 minutes. 

I found the subs odd. Murphy who had been linking well with reading for Bryden who isn’t a winger (that’s when readings performance dipped imo). Mcgeady and rose came on when amartey was available was odd too. The latter of which looks like he wasnt interested any time he lost the ball. At one point he lost the ball in the centre circle and started walking towards our own goal when the rest of the team were absolutely scrambling trying to stop qp scoring. 

I think the fact we only used three subs tells you that Brown knows we don’t have a lot of quality in depth. A replacement for Ahui (Oakley?), a midfielder and another forward would do for me. Noticed Brown talking up Thomas in the post match comments. Given he was linked with a move away a couple of weeks ago, I’d be asking if he was still wanting out. 

7 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

With ahui away we will have a few irons in the fire surely. We need a right back left back and a striker/no10. 

id maybe even play watret instead of Mcallister. When he went down with 20 minutes to go he struggled massively. Granted he wasnt great before that but he was better than the last 20 minutes. 

I found the subs odd. Murphy who had been linking well with reading for Bryden who isn’t a winger (that’s when readings performance dipped imo). Mcgeady and rose came on when amartey was available was odd too. The latter of which looks like he wasnt interested any time he lost the ball. At one point he lost the ball in the centre circle and started walking towards our own goal when the rest of the team were absolutely scrambling trying to stop qp scoring. 

I was quite impressed that Brown has already figured out that Bryden isn’t able to play effectively as a number nine or ten. 

He came on, did well and set up the goal…

He quite often looks at his best when he drifts out wide. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think the fact we only used three subs tells you that Brown knows we don’t have a lot of quality in depth. A replacement for Ahui (Oakley?), a midfielder and another forward would do for me. Noticed Brown talking up Thomas in the post match comments. Given he was linked with a move away a couple of weeks ago, I’d be asking if he was still wanting out. 

As in dom Thomas? He’s a winger really and I think we’re set in that department. I liked the look of Paton and feel had we got him in the summer like we were linked we would have been slightly further up the table 

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

Have I missed this? 

@AUcal heard he’s away and said this after

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I was quite impressed that Brown has already figured out that Bryden isn’t able to play effectively as a number nine or ten. 

He came on, did well and set up the goal…

He quite often looks at his best when he drifts out wide. 

I think he works better wide of a three at the top but that more an inside forward role (football manager players) rather than a winger. They don’t track back and are a goal threat. I never said I didn’t want him on as he did ok but he’s definitely not a winger or direct replacement for Murphy. I was surprised he came on when he did. 

brown did look like he was giving him specific instructions for a while before he came on too 

If the cryptic clues from earlier are correct Duncan can play number 10 and both wings, Oakley can play RB, RWB and CB at a push. Attacking wise I have no clue who we could bring in but I trust that between Brown and Whittaker they will have some irons in the fire.

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Just like Marcus Rashford, only more ginger. 

1 minute ago, Superhursy7 said:

If the cryptic clues from earlier are correct Duncan can play number 10 and both wings, Oakley can play RB, RWB and CB at a push. Attacking wise I have no clue who we could bring in but I trust that between Brown and Whittaker they will have some irons in the fire.

I might have misread it or lost track, but wasn’t that post with the fuel pump talking about something else in the end…

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You'd take Dom Thomas in a second if you could get him surely. He's always been a stand out player in this league and has got that bit of dig that we're missing. We've got wingers but Murphy won't play every game, McGeady is done and nobody fancies Amartey it seems.

We badly need a RB though. I like McAllister in that he gives 100% and genuinely cares but he's a squad player at best.

We also either need an attacking midfielder or a genuine solid holding midfielder who'd allow Dempsey to get forward more, where I think he's at his best.