The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

11 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

Don't let facts get in the way of some good old doomsday sensationalism

Ayr United Football and Athletic Club Limited are not "living outwith their means", but a chairman who has a bit of money behind him makes for good headlines, (and heads-gone right now too from some angles) even if he's not simply writing blank cheques for players left, right and centre

ETA: I have no clue about the financial situations of ICT, Partick or Dunfermline because I simply have no interest in them, but are they really living outwith their means or is it just because of butthurt fans of genuinely frugal clubs (through choice or necessity) getting players nicked from under their noses due to said frugality?

You mean ICT who are on the brink of an existential crisis after their battery farm plan B to deal with huge annual losses was rejected and Partick who would have had to default on wages last season had they not drawn Rangers in the cup?

5 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

You mean ICT who are on the brink of an existential crisis after their battery farm plan B to deal with huge annual losses was rejected and Partick who would have had to default on wages last season had they not drawn Rangers in the cup?

IDK, do I?

As mentioned, other than knowing that Morton are fan-owned and Arbroath are part time, I know nothing else about other clubs plights because I couldn't care less...

9 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

They can aye fall back on BBC SCOTLAND "Luvvy dosh" if required. I thought Jonathan Sutherland was about to propose to Brian Graham the other night.

Can we put to bed the fact that if Ayr were being “bankrolled” by the Ashleigh Construction Investment Fund or something, we would not be signing guys like George fucking Oakley.

1 hour ago, ChristopherMoltisanti said:

Speaking to my brother and we got on the conversation of McCall, does anyone think if David smith had been owner under McCall we could’ve been in the premiership.

With absolutely zero ITK (although tbf I've known the guy who architected all of the recent additions for 25 years and so should really wangle my way into the fancy seats when they're open) it seems quite likely to me that McCall's continual calls for a non-tinpot club setup might have been the impetus for Smith to put his bid together.

At the same time, and even speaking as a big McCall fanboy, he had plenty of money at Partick (more than once) and couldn't escape. This league is a fucking labyrinth.

McCall took us as far as he could. The season he left was time for one last crack at it. I think had he stayed he would’ve moved upstairs as was his dream. However he pissed that up the wall by jumping ship to partick 

35 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

McCall took us as far as he could. The season he left was time for one last crack at it. I think had he stayed he would’ve moved upstairs as was his dream. However he pissed that up the wall by jumping ship to partick 

He also pissed the big budgets he got at Thistle up the wall. Hence he was binned.

If Doolan fails to win the playoffs you could argue that Thistle are no further forward than they were under McCall. I dont buy all that bollocks about budget cuts they claimed to have, they were still able to put together a good squad and they bring in some decent players. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Shibuya said:

If Doolan fails to win the playoffs you could argue that Thistle are no further forward than they were under McCall. I dont buy all that bollocks about budget cuts they claimed to have, they were still able to put together a good squad and they bring in some decent players. 

Thistle have definitely cut their operating budget.

Last season we budgeted for 2nd place and this was revised to 4th place with minimum returns from cup competitions.

We needed a £500k share release to  help balance the books left from the previous chaotic stewarding of the cup.

We lost 4 of our highest paid players and we have added loans and players on short term contracts. We even have a first teamer who was playing for Glenafton.

It is the way we have done this season that has cemented my feelings that Doolan is a very good manager in the making.

We have been more pragmatic and that may hold us in good stead.

There are financial positives such as 10k monthly payments from the Jags Foundation.

Season tickets and crowds have gone up this year.

We are moving towards breakeven but will still have a sizeable loss on our end of year accounts.

There is another £500k waiting in return for another share release if required.

This won't be much different from a lot of teams at this level though.

Edited by Claudia Gentile

20 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

A dirty b*****d. His challenge in the last game between Ayr and Airdrie was a disgrace.

Hide contents

Sign him up.

Marvin Wilson vibes, get him in

1 hour ago, Shibuya said:

Just back from Mars are we?

Montgomery given the old tin tack by Hibs. 
If Brown had been out of work, he may have been favourite for the job but I don’t think he’s done enough in management in general to make Hibs pay compensation to get him.

Maybe McCabe at Airdrie? I think he’s more likely than maybe Ian Murray. I don’t think there are many other candidates in the championship and they will probably pick up another clown from the lower end of English football. 

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

If Brown had been out of work, he may have been favourite for the job but I don’t think he’s done enough in management in general to make Hibs pay compensation to get him.

Maybe McCabe at Airdrie? I think he’s more likely than maybe Ian Murray. I don’t think there are many other candidates in the championship and they will probably pick up another clown from the lower end of English football. 

Without trying to rattle them even more (maybe a little) I wonder if Imrie would be considered and fancy it.

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I was thinking about after the result at the weekend that I hope they bin him sooner than later if Hibs had a crap start to next season and and we had a great one with his links to Hibs he would be a contender at least now they will fill that role over the summer and I doubt Brown will be looked at for it at this point 

50 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Reliably informed that instead of toilet rolls in the new North Stand, they'll use 50 notes instead. 

Better make it an RBS £100 note. Everything else is polymer now - could be messy.