Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

6 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

I can't believe what I'm seeing here, I'd have Slater over Robson everytime.

I think what many are saying is that since his return from injury slater hasn't quite been the player he was. Almost looks out of place some games. He's a better player than Robson or Hutton, but together those 2 knew their roles and stuck to them 

5 minutes ago, TheClosingArguement said:

I think what many are saying is that since his return from injury slater hasn't quite been the player he was. Almost looks out of place some games. He's a better player than Robson or Hutton, but together those 2 knew their roles and stuck to them 

Slater undoubtedly a better player, but I think robson and Hutton compliment each other better. Would like to see us try Robson and Slater as the midfield two though 

17 minutes ago, fafc1885 said:

What exactly do you think you’re seeing? 

This;

31 minutes ago, C_titz said:

Slater was off the boil today . Always think we play better without him strangely . 

56 minutes ago, fafc1885 said:

but I thought we looked best when Robson and Hutton were our midfield pairing.

6 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Would love to know which games in which we played better without Slater?

he’s pivotal to our squad.. yes he had a poor game today but wasn’t the only one. 

We were tremendous when he went off away to stenny in a 2-1 win.

Also had our best performance of the season at home in a win against Dumbarton with a midfield of Hutton & Robson.

Nobody is saying slater isn't quality, the point being made is everything runs through him & when he's poor, it has a bigger impact on the performance as a whole. Hutton, Robson & even Docherty to a lesser extent are assigned a role and they stick to it.

Poor performances aren't that rare from slater of late, he had an absolute mare through at Stirling. Yes many others have often been rotten, but he's the captain & the bloke with the ball more than anyone.

If Hutton for example has a stinker many are quick to comment...

9 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

This;

Nothing even remotely outrageous was said in my comment you’ve quoted.

Our best run of form was with two in midfield and it just happened to be Robson and Hutton in there, they worked well together while at the same time Slater was injured. If Slater was alongside Robson and got the same results and performances, I would have said Slater and Robson were our best pairing but they haven’t yet played together as a two.

Would I like to see Slater and Robson play in a midfield two? Absolutely.

3 minutes ago, TheClosingArguement said:

We were tremendous when he went off away to stenny in a 2-1 win.

Also had our best performance of the season at home in a win against Dumbarton with a midfield of Hutton & Robson.

Nobody is saying slater isn't quality, the point being made is everything runs through him & when he's poor, it has a bigger impact on the performance as a whole. Hutton, Robson & even Docherty to a lesser extent are assigned a role and they stick to it.

Poor performances aren't that rare from slater of late, he had an absolute mare through at Stirling. Yes many others have often been rotten, but he's the captain & the bloke with the ball more than anyone.

If Hutton for example has a stinker many are quick to comment...

I’ll give you the Dumbarton game we were good & that’s probably the last time Robson had a very good game.

I’ve been quite complimentary of Hutton I think he’s been very good for us this season. But to take Slater out the squad is madness in my opinion.

Slater & Hutton is a must in the middle of the park for me. The game just passes by Robson & he doesn’t get involved enough for me, it’s always a sideways or backwards pass, he never looks to get forward much either. 

Pre contract at Arbroath rumours (which is probably true) Slater id maybe playing now with the mindset that’s he’s away already. But yeah if that is the case it doesn’t bode very well. 

2 minutes ago, fafc1885 said:

Our best run of form was with two in midfield and it just happened to be Robson and Hutton in there, they worked well together while at the same time Slater was injured. 

Exactly.

Behaving like this is anything other than pointing out a fact is ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, fafc1885 said:

Nothing even remotely outrageous was said in my comment you’ve quoted.

Our best run of form was with two in midfield and it just happened to be Robson and Hutton in there, they worked well together while at the same time Slater was injured. If Slater was alongside Robson and got the same results and performances, I would have said Slater and Robson were our best pairing but they haven’t yet played together as a two.

Would I like to see Slater and Robson play in a midfield two? Absolutely.

Best run of form.. 2 games? 👀😂

Just now, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Slater & Hutton is a must in the middle of the park for me. The game just passes by Robson & he doesn’t get involved enough for me, it’s always a sideways or backwards pass, he never looks to get forward much either. 

Agree Robson hasn't been as good of late, yet in some games the sideways & backwards passing describes slater too.

Robson I think could be a decent threat bursting from the middle. (See his goal at East fife)

Ultimately, I think the problem lies with Ray. Obviously he wanted his captain back in the midfield asap after his injury, but at the same time he perhaps didn't want to abandon the Hutton/Robson pairing which has left us with a midfield 3 that doesn't really work.

3 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

It was 2 games? 😂 
Dumbarton & Albion Rovers?

he was back as a sub for Stranraer

This week was the 1st time since then we've won 2 in a row, funnily enough against the same opponents.

Onto better news anyway, that’s us into the play offs spots. Would have bitten your hand off to be in this position with 5 games to go, considering the disastrous start to the season we had. if only the board acted quicker & got rid of Irvine we would potentially be in with a title charge.

1 minute ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Onto better news anyway, that’s us into the play offs spots. Would have bitten your hand off to be in this position with 5 games to go, considering the disastrous start to the season we had. if only the board acted quicker & got rid of Irvine we would potentially be in with a title charge.

Should've sacked him after the arse he made of the Annan games.

Hopefully the East Fife game last day of the season isn't a winner takes all tie, because it's got 1-1 written all over it.

5 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Best run of form.. 2 games? 👀😂

Three actually, in a run of four wins. Therefore, our best run of form.

I agree with what you’ve said about Robson as the last few games he’s been anonymous. That may be to do with the three in the middle however, some players are better suited to two in the middle, hence why I’d like to see him and Slater. Under McKinnon, Hutton and Slater would probably work well too, don’t get me wrong but I get flashbacks to the start of the season and worry I’m going to see Harkins take to the pitch as well.

Just now, fafc1885 said:

Three actually, in a run of four wins. Therefore, our best run of form.

I agree with what you’ve said about Robson as the last few games he’s been anonymous. That may be to do with the three in the middle however, some players are better suited to two in the middle, hence why I’d like to see him and Slater. Under McKinnon, Hutton and Slater would probably work well too, don’t get me wrong but I get flashbacks to the start of the season and worry I’m going to see Harkins take to the pitch as well.

As long as I never have to see Harkins & Irvine both on the pitch at the same time in a Forfar shirt I’ll be happy. 😂

1 minute ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

As long as I never have to see Harkins & Irvine both on the pitch at the same time in a Forfar shirt I’ll be happy. 😂

At the next Legends game I hear.

The central midfield debate is an interesting one, so I'll give my opinions. However, I'll preface it by saying this is a positive debate to have, no way should we be slagging off either player. 

Slater and Robson are both classy, incredible players and any lower league team would love to have either one, so the fact we have both (for now) is brilliant. The problem is, is that they are both really similar players. That's why Hutton + Slater or Robson is an effective midfield two. Hutton is your ball winner and deeper midfielder that'll drop into defence when needed and Craig/Finn is your visionary man who will play the passes and look for attacking options.

When you put Slater & Robson together in a two, or part of a 3 man midfield. They both try to do that same job and inevitably stumbling upon each other. Considering that, it's then not surprising that since Craig's comeback from injury one or both of Craig and Finn have put in poor performances. If I had to choose one or the other I'd probably go for Slater as he has more experience but would be happy to keep both. As it stands with rumours circling neither of them will be at the club come August. Craig to Arbroath and Finn back to Dundee United, pushing for the starting XI but most likely a useful option from the bench for the Tangerines.

My preferred formation for the Loons has flip-flopped throughout  the season but from now on and potentially going into the playoffs I'd play a 4-2-3-1 with Seb Ross number 10 and Hutton playing alongside Slater, as I feel that gives us the most balanced midfield. Hutton deep winning tackles, Slater (or equally Robson) playmaking and Seb being the attacking runner, supporting Ben upfront but also drifting wide to help Thommo/Flanny/Stef whoever's out wide at that point in the game.

Finally, I'll reiterate my original point, these debates are good debates to have, much better than last autumn where we unbelievably played Aitken and Harkins as wingers!