Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

5 hours ago, Bridie Vision said:

So Rory MacLeod is on international duty with Scotland U19s. That got me thinking. Who was the last Forfar player to get called up to a national side (senior or youth) whilst at Forfar?

I'm pretty sure Odmar Faro got a senior call-up to the Faroese national team 🇫🇴 a good few years ago.

But there is something in the back of my mind, but could easily be a false memory. Did George Stanger get a NZ U21 🇳🇿 call up a couple years ago when he was with us on loan?

Simon Vella was a Maltese international when he joined us but I can’t remember if he got a call up during his time with us. I did wonder if Marvellous Marvin did but his international career ended long before he was a Loon. 

Odmar was our first ever player to win a full international cap whilst a Forfar player, Vella did at other Scottish clubs but not us.

Plenty of internationals played for us after their international careers and a few loanees recently have went on to play for Scotland, Barry Robson, Darren Barr, Johnny Russell and maybe others I can't think of. Think Russell got called up for a Scotland youth squad when with us but I'm not sure. 

Andy Jackson got called up for Ireland 19s or 21s when on loan with us from St Johnstone as a youngster I seem to remember, and I also think Eoghan McCaw (not sure on his name!) we had from Saints on loan about Covid times was called up for Northern Ireland 19s.

Wasn't there an ex-Forfar player who played for New Zealand in the 1982 World Cup? Before my time.

6 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Odmar was our first ever player to win a full international cap whilst a Forfar player, Vella did at other Scottish clubs but not us.

Plenty of internationals played for us after their international careers and a few loanees recently have went on to play for Scotland, Barry Robson, Darren Barr, Johnny Russell and maybe others I can't think of. Think Russell got called up for a Scotland youth squad when with us but I'm not sure. 

Andy Jackson got called up for Ireland 19s or 21s when on loan with us from St Johnstone as a youngster I seem to remember, and I also think Eoghan McCaw (not sure on his name!) we had from Saints on loan about Covid times was called up for Northern Ireland 19s.

Wasn't there an ex-Forfar player who played for New Zealand in the 1982 World Cup? Before my time.

Mccawl was during the bollan promotion winning season in 2016-17 long before COVID and I'm not sure he was capped while he was was at us tbf.

1 hour ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Aye, Allan Boath, a Dundee lad (IIRC had relatives in Forfar too) played for us ‘77/78 then emigrated to NZ and became an international for his adopted homeland. I think he played against Scotland in the ‘82 finals.

I've come across a free teamsheet from Forfar v Montrose on 11/1/86. It was issued in place of the Programme as the game wasn't expected to go ahead because of bad weather. Secretary David McGregor said it was only the second time since 1975 that there was no programme issued. Lots of familiar names on the sheet. Craig Brewster being probably being one of the most unlucky not to get a Scotland call up after he left Forfar.

20231015_194327.thumb.jpg.86a92b9ce5c3844dd4ff4b153c6377c6.jpgI've come across a free teamsheet from Forfar v Montrose on 11/1/86. It was issued in place of the Programme as the game wasn't expected to go ahead because of bad weather. Secretary David McGregor said it was only the second time since 1975 that there was no programme issued. Lots of familiar na

20231015_194357.jpg

On 14/10/2023 at 12:53, theSilverFox said:

Aye, Allan Boath, a Dundee lad (IIRC had relatives in Forfar too) played for us ‘77/78 then emigrated to NZ and became an international for his adopted homeland. I think he played against Scotland in the ‘82 finals.

I remember watching Alan Boath in that world cup, wasn't too bad actually. 

On 21/10/2023 at 22:12, Bridie Vision said:

Any guess when the Elgin match will be rescheduled?

They’ll be waiting till after this weekend to decide I imagine. If we both end up going out of the cup then it would surely be put on the 25th, seeing as that’s the only free saturday either side would have for the rest of the season.

If at least one of us get through then it’ll have to be a Tuesday.  

11 minutes ago, CrispyMelon said:

They’ll be waiting till after this weekend to decide I imagine. If we both end up going out of the cup then it would surely be put on the 25th, seeing as that’s the only free saturday either side would have for the rest of the season.

If at least one of us get through then it’ll have to be a Tuesday.  

Wouldn't be so sure - that logic doesn't seem to apply at the SPFL